Author Topic: SWELLING post rad? when? and how much??  (Read 6910 times)

calimama

SWELLING post rad? when? and how much??
« on: April 06, 2008, 08:20:05 am »
Hi all,
I thought i posted this question last night, but don't see it here today so maybe i hit the wrong button?

I am hoping to for some quick info for those who had radiation...

1. Did you have swelling?
2. How much (%) and what was the size of your original AN?
3. When did the swelling start and how long did it last?
4. What symptoms did you have to know of the swelling?
5. Did you receive treatment for the swelling, what type and did it work?

This is an important issue for me as i am considering fractionated radiation (over 25 sessions) and have a med-large AN with brainstem effect... AND i am hoping to get pregnant in the next 6-12 months so i need to think ahead about whether i may have swelling and whether i can risk this with a possible pregnancy. I have not ruled surgery just because of this particular issue.

THANKS SO MUCH !!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: SWELLING post rad? when? and how much??
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 09:24:13 am »
Hi calimama,

Ok, 2 yrs out now, so going to attempt to answer as best as I can.

*minimal. Since head MRIs have a margin of error of +/- 2mm, the swelling I incurred fell within the margin of error. Was on a course of steroid (Decadron, Decacrap as I lovingly call it) that helped to keep it in check.

*My AN, at time of treatment was 1cm (had grown from 7mmx5mm in 9 months, so we knew it was being "active" in growth

*Can't exactly answer as I had "felt" some "blocked ear feeling" (like airplane cabin pressure and ear fullness) at approx 3 mos post CK, but only lasted short time.

*Please see my reponse to #3

*Since I was approx 3 mos post treatment and had already stopped Decacrap, I was put on OTC Ibuprofen.... seemed to have helped.

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 01:11:02 pm »

1. Did you have swelling?   --- YES
2. How much (%) and what was the size of your original AN?    --- 2 cm AN swelled to 2.5 cm, 50+ % increase by volume.
3. When did the swelling start and how long did it last?   --- Started having symptoms about 6 weeks post-CK.  Swelling was confirmed on 4 month MRI and still present on 7 month MRI in March.
4. What symptoms did you have to know of the swelling?  --- Pressure headaches, pulsating tinnitus and hearing loss.
5. Did you receive treatment for the swelling, what type and did it work?   ---- YES, I was tried on two different steroids, prednisone and decadron (just switched recently).  Decadron has been very effective on my symptoms (hearing has even improved).  Prednisone did not work well for me.

2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 04:49:14 pm »
1. A little bit, nothing measurable on an MRI.
2. Not measured; just the feeling of it; my AN was and is 8mm.
3. About 3 months post treatment. The peak was about 3 weeks in December, spanning Christmas.
4. Ear pressure, aka the feeling of fullness.
5. No treatment. Thought about calling the ENT, who might have put me on a short term steroid, but never felt it was bad enough to call. Taking cold medications and ibuprofen seemed to help.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

calimama

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 06:38:15 am »
Thanks Phyl, jb, and Steve.

Interesting... and very helpful, thanks.

Anyone else? particularly those with ANs over 2cm?? with brainstem effect?? (but hey, all are welcome!!)

THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »
Hey Calimama: I had tumor shrinkage at my 6 month CK- by 4mm on one side.  Additionally, Dr. Chang saw 2mm but that's within the margin of error so he couldn't call it as a shinkage.

See my stats on my "icon, avatar" picture/signature thingi ma bob- but sounds like we have about the same size range- I was definately facing "brain stem encrouchment".  I to considered surgery but am really glad the CK an'ers cheerleaded me on to research CK- for me it was the best option.

every day post ck treatment I was given decadon to prevent fluid build up in the brain/skull- called edema.

I have had no side effects post CK.  My AN symptons are minimal, buzzing in ear, fullness in ear- have a hard time hear low frequencies (i.e. my husband's voice!).

take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 02:31:12 pm »
Hi:

I had FSR (26 treatments) so I'll answer as best I can in the hope it may be beneficial to you. 

Yes.

Post-radiation, my AN swelled from 2.5 cm to 2.8 cm.  About 03 mm.  (12%).

Within a few weeks from the start of FSR sessions.  It lasted about 6 months. 

Intermittent stabbing pain and a 'tight' feeling in the affected area

I didn't ask for prescription medication because OTC Ibuprofen tablets were able to alleviate the discomfort. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 07:14:57 pm »
I am hoping to for some quick info for those who had radiation...

Yes
                     From 1.8 cm to 2.1 cm over a two year period
                    Over a two year period
                     Increased tinnitus
                     Steroid treatment at the hospital after GK treatment (standard practice).  Have had Prednisolone for swelling       
                     issues  (full feeling, strange sounds, etc...freaky stuff by the way, lots of side effects)

Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 12:51:27 pm »
I had GK two years ago for my 2 cm AN.  Subsequent MRI's showed no changes in size of my AN.  I was on decadron (I like decacrap better! HA) for a week after GK.

Hope this helps.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

MLB57

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 06:12:15 am »
 :)Hi Caliamama:

I had a 1 cm rt AN removed Jan 2001--not total resection as surgeons thought--continued growing to about orig size of 1 cm and last Fall I had 25 FSR at Mass Gen Boston MA...

No side-effects... Will have MRI this Fall to see what's going on in there!!!!

Best wishes to you!!  Regards, Mary from MA :-X

1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

calimama

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 07:03:58 pm »
Hey Mary...
Just curious, when you say not total resection as surgeons thought, does that mean that they planned to get it all (but didnt) or thought they got it all (but didn't). Was your facial nerve ok (was it as risk in the first place? Was your hearing spared.... if you had some left.

cheers!

calimama

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 07:09:17 pm »
Annie thanks for your reply to this post and glad to hear CK worked out for you. By encroachment i am that means you had compression? Mine is bigger than yours (no pride here!  ;D) and it really looks like it is squishing quite a bit on the brainstem although i have no problems from this (yet) ... one of the reasons why i am concerned about swelling and still considering surgery.

Jim, thanks for your reply and all the other information and support you have given with respect to FSR. Your story gives me hope that maybe surgery and followup rads (if necessary) might be the best way to go.

calimama

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 07:12:40 pm »
GM... thanks for your reply. Freaky stuff eh... Hmmm... Did that scare you? Do you still have effects, or was this just from swelling?

Sue, thanks very much for taking the time to respond.

Trish

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 04:58:41 pm »
The Prednisolone had many side effects that got better after the dosage was reduced (the dose reduces over time...its a series treatment). It worked well, but it made sleeping difficult, I was moody, emotional (not good for a guy), etc...

But it did its job.  There is another version of it out there (ask your doc), that has less side effects.

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

MLB57

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 02:27:18 pm »
 ;D Hi Calimama,

Correction--I had 30 FSR treatments over 6 wks...  To answer your questions--my OR reports (Jan 2001 from both surgeons) said "total resection to healthy nerve"--so they both believed it was totally removed--my first year MRI showed a slight enhancement and my neurosurgeon thought was possibly scar tissue, but recommended yearly MRIs--he then left and my follow-up docs watched it until 2006 when it was evident it was indeed growing. I did lots of research this time around and consulted w/Dr Noren (NE GK Ctr in Providence) and Dr Barker at Mass General who both immediately told me by looking at my first year MRI that it had NOT been totally removed. I did not want surgery again and Dr Loeffler (Chiel Radiation Oncology) at Mass Gen said because my facial nerve was already weakened he proposed 30 FSR--low dose for 6 wks to protect my facial nerve. 6 months later I am doing okay, no side effects, and will have an MRI this Fall.

I do not regret having the surgery but at the time I only had a computer at work and did limited research--knowing what I do now I would have gone to Mass General to Dr Barker OR if my ins allowed I'd have gone to House in CA--they developed the House-Brackman scale and are pioneers in An surgery.

I get together w/the group at Maxwell Silverman's and they'll tell you I'm doing fine so my surgery was okay but the experience of the team is most inportant w/any kind of treatment. Just wished I had realized I needed a better experienced team of surgeons who knew if they'd gotten it all out at the time... and I could've had LINEAC right after an dthat might have stopped it then...

Regards, Mary  ::)

1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!