Author Topic: Strange occurance  (Read 2108 times)

SHunter59

Strange occurance
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:07:45 pm »
Hubby is 2 weeks post op and is doing great. He can't understand why anyone would NOT choose the Gamma Knife over traditional surgery. Anyway, during all the research and from speaking with the doctors themselves everyone has said that hubby's hearing would not come back. But, this weekend I was messing around and since hubby can't hear in his left ear I blew a raspberry in his ear not thinking that it would bother him...well he shouted "OWW" and rubbed his ear. I asked could he hear that and he said yes!!! So, we have done some experiments including putting an ear bud headphone for his IPod in his ear and cranking up the tunes and he can hear the music. He said it's tinny but he can hear it. Now this is a guy, who pre-op, couldn't hear a thing including the loudest test they had when he had his hearing test done that was so loud the technician could hear it outside the soundproof room, so that was pretty darn loud. How can this be happening and does anyone else have experience with hearing returning after gamma knife? Could it be possible that he could end up with some functioning hearing? I hate to get his hopes up for nothing but it does seem promising. He also said that the fullness he's been feeling since December has eased and he feels really good. Sorry for rambling but I am very excited.
Left AN 1.7 x 1.5 x 1.4 cm diagnosed 1/19/10, SSD left ear
GK 3/11/10 performed by Dr. McMenomy of OHSU and Dr. Bader of the Gamma Knife Center of Portland.

carter

Re: Strange occurance
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 01:16:47 pm »
are you sure that hubby was nto faking that he could not hear ---- take out the trash ,....its your turn to do the dishes, what are those socks on the floor for?   and the razzzberry did nto catch him off guard!!!

or is the razzberry thte new laying on of hands?

but hot dang - he can hear!!!!
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 04:31:09 pm »
Interesting...his happened to me.
I did have surgery and I chose surgery because I really wanted the tumour out and gone!

Anyway I lost my hearing and just testing to see if it really was true I put the phone up to my deaf ear. My friend screamed into the phone and I could hear it!!!! Well it turns out that what i am hearing is from my good ear through bone conduction. That was my experience.That is why the transear or the baha would be successful for me.
Not to burst your bubble cause you never know stranger things have happened maybe he is getting his back. 
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:55:13 am »
SHunter59:

What your husband is experiencing is unusual but does happen to the lucky few. In the 17 months following my CyberKnife treatment (CK is very similar to GK), I regained 15 dB of hearing in the 250 Hz band (which is the upper-bass frequency range) on my AN side. I did, however, lose roughly the same amount of hearing in my midrange frequencies. Dr. Chang thinks my improvement in the bass frequencies might be due to my tumor shrinking since treatment, thus removing some pressure on my hearing nerve. But it's anyone's guess why I've had this improvement, and whether it will continue or become worse again.

Your husband will probably not regain all of his hearing on his AN side, but any improvement is surely a great thing! Don't expect further improvement, but he might see a little more. It's unlikely, but hey, he's already beaten the odds!

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08