Author Topic: Houston, TX new diagnosis  (Read 3102 times)

didyb

Houston, TX new diagnosis
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:45:36 am »
Hi. I've just been given the wonderful diagnosis of Acoustic Neuroma-- 2.2cm. I just happend to pick the practice where Dr McReynolds is for my initial exam to evaluate the ringing in my ear and it turns out he and Dr Bindal are an established surgery team for AN. Does anyone out there have experience with them? I found a post on this site, but it was from 2007. Good to know they've been a team that long, but would like to hear some current reviews.
THANKS!!
W/W now due to further regrowth 4-18-18
GK due to regrowth 1-11-16
2.2cm AN reduced retromastoid 9-23-13
Right Side Deaf
Right Side Facial Paralysis (temporary? permanent? who knows)
Right eye lid gold weight 10-17-13

Kaybo

Re: Houston, TX new diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 07:11:26 pm »
Hi!!

I am in the Houston area now (& actually had my surgery here almost 18 years ago) - Missouri City/Sugar Land area.  Where are you?  My surgeon is not in Houston anymore but I mostly hear about Vrabec - I have never hear about the ones you mentioned...
LMK if I can help you in anyway...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

didyb

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:34:41 am »
Hi Kaybo- thanks for the reply. I'm in Mo City and still in the decision making phase. Feeling calmer and trying hard to not get all psychosomatic about every little thing (real or imaginary) being the result of AN.
W/W now due to further regrowth 4-18-18
GK due to regrowth 1-11-16
2.2cm AN reduced retromastoid 9-23-13
Right Side Deaf
Right Side Facial Paralysis (temporary? permanent? who knows)
Right eye lid gold weight 10-17-13

JWW

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:47:52 am »
I do believe Dr. Vrabec and Dr. Williamson have a better track record regarding surgery on AN's.

Dr. McReynolds should be close to retirement! I do not remember him being recommended for AN surgery. Did you check on the AN website who is recommended in different states?

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:06:38 am »
Dr Vrabec at Methodist was my doc. He is a superior person, and a wonderful doctor. He is all business. Not a pat on the back type of guy, but if you want the best treatment, call him.