Author Topic: BAHA stuff ...  (Read 4264 times)

annamaria

BAHA stuff ...
« on: August 30, 2010, 02:27:48 pm »

grega

Re: BAHA stuff ...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:51:37 pm »
Thanks for sharing that, AnnaMaria!  I just printed it out and will take it with me tomorrow to my audiologist .... I'm finally getting my "own" baha.  For the past six weeks, I've been using one ..... not my color of choice ..... with DEMO on both sides.

Hopefully she'll be able to tell me what some of the terms mean,  e.g. Glasgow Benefit Inventory.

Stay well!

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:41:20 am »
Interesting link.

I'm not much on scientific data or surveys - I tend to go with my "gut" and my heart.

In my case, both of those tell me that the BAHA has been an amazing Godsend - but I also understand it's not for everyone.

Thanks for sharing this information, annamaria

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ReneeK

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 02:49:49 pm »
Does anyone know if you can have the screw for the BAHA placed at the time of your scheduled surgery?? I am leaning towards the translab because my hearing is pretty bad in the affected ear (L). I am really nervous about post op dizziness :-[

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:24:29 pm »
Renee -

some docs combine AN surgery with BAHA implant surgery and some don't.  It's a doctor preference - so you should check with your surgeon(s).

My doc doesn't do the combo, but compared to AN surgery BAHA surgery is a piece of cake.  The implant is a short procedure - done as an outpatient (at least in the states).  I had mine with local anesthesia (no type of sedation) but my doc does do it with general anesthesia or local anesthesia w/sedation.

If you have any other questions about the BAHA, please feel free to ask me - or check out the Hearing section on this Forum.  There are lots of BAHA threads.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ReneeK

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 10:12:08 am »
Thanks! I will check with Dr. Friedman :) How does the BAJA work for you?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 12:17:09 pm »
Renee -

I believe Dr. Friedman is one who combines the surgeries - unless the AN is large and the surgery is long.

I absolutely LOVE my BAHA.  Have loved it since the day I tried the demo.

BAHAs rock!!   ;D

Jan

ReneeK

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 03:10:17 pm »
Jan-

That is great to know :) I have lost about 60% of my hearing in the left ear. I have no dizziness, but lots of ringing and fullness in that ear. My tumor is 1.1 x 0.7, so its not too big and I'm hoping he can do both :) I'm so worried about the post-op dizziness! I am going to go with the translab surgery, being that my hearing is so bad already.

Thanks for all the help!!!

valerie_g

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 11:26:09 am »
Hi,

I have been testing the BAHA since this morning. I'm back to work with it on a "headband". What I can say for this short period of time is that it is amazing no other words. But the time factor play in favor for me. I have been deaf for almost a year now and my expectation for the BAHA was not to high not to low. Not having it right away was maybe better in my case because I can't really compare to normal hearing on that side because it is gone since so long...

Valérie
March 2009 5 mm X 4 mm
July 2010 6 mm X 5 mm
March 2011 7mm X 6mm Cyberknife radiosurgery Ottawa General Hospital
June 2011 BAHA surgery Ottawa Civic Hospital

ksiwek

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 12:52:31 pm »
Renee,

Dr Friedman was my surgeon.  He will combine the surgeries if he is able to...meaning if the AN resection can be completed within a reasonable amount of time and without complication/concern he will do the implant.  They had the implant available for my surgery, but due to tumor size and difficulty he opted to not do the BAHA.  I had already been under for 11 hours and that was long enough  :P  I just had my BAHA surgery 4 months post-op AN.

If you are going to House and want to try to do the surgeries at the same time, make sure you let them know well in advance.  The device has to be ordered in for the surgery (as you choose the color, etc).  They need a week lead time to make sure they have the device at the hospital.

Good Luck.
Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 07:41:22 pm »
Valerie -

BAHAs are amazing.

Glad you're enjoying the demo  ;D

Jan