Author Topic: 6months post GK and all is well. for the most part anyway...  (Read 1872 times)

gcb

6months post GK and all is well. for the most part anyway...
« on: February 22, 2006, 01:42:26 am »
Time for an update:

It’s been 6 months post GK (Lunsford/Pitt) treatment for a 1.8cm AN on my left side. I must say, life has been pretty normal.  No issues with balance, facial or general quality of life. I’ve had 2 side effects I can correlate from the procedure and one doesn’t even really count.

•   Directly after the procedure I had a low grade headache for about 3 days. Gone never to be seen from again. Probably that d*mn head frame. Man did that thing hurt!!!
•   About 3 weeks ago I woke up to no hearing in my left ear. Flat, gone, nothing. Very unusual sensation as I had 80% to start with. Called Pitt, they felt I was experiencing post treatment swelling and started me on steroids. First round was a 5 day pack, can’t remember the name but I didn’t have much luck with them. Second round consists of dexamethasone for 20 days. Hearing has come back to around 50% in my estimate.
•   I'll be going for my first post procedure MRI in a few months (instead of 6 months) as they wanted the steroids out of my systems before they took images.

All in all, I'm very happy with my decision and it’s out come. I truly feel for those who are not having the same positive results and only wish the best to all.

Read and understand as much as you can about the topics, the better educated you are on the topic the better the decision you can make.

Chuck

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: 6months post GK and all is well. for the most part anyway...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 08:42:17 pm »
Chuck

Thank you! this is the kind of info that is soooo helpful to me as I'm in decision making process now and trying to also weight all radiosurgery options available... invaluable info and I thank you. Hope you are feeling better and things calm down soon for you.

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"