Author Topic: A challenge to all members  (Read 5985 times)

CC

• My homepage!
A challenge to all members
« on: December 01, 2005, 01:51:41 pm »
Firstly I apologize because this posting will not be short.

Wow you guys are amazing!  No sooner have I posted my last and final note on the board (as I was truly disgusted at the belligerence exhibited by some members) than my personal e-mail is flooded by you all saying "stay!!!!"  Thanks for all the soothing words and irrefutable evidence that there are some on this board whose sole reason for posting seems to be mean to others. 

Frankly I just don't have time for that type of rubbish.  LIfe's too short and I'm out there living it.  I chose CK over the other treatments for many reasons, mostly becuase retaining my hearing is of vital importance to me.  I've said I'm a musician (used to be a professional one too) but now I'm involved in complex global trade negotiations and I really need to hear what someone's whiserping to me in the sidelines of a meeting.  That can make or break the deal!  So hearing was my prime decisionmaking factor. 

I don't have any problem with people having microsurgery - I say good luck to them.  Their road ahead is so much tougher than mine.  And I respect the wonderful microsurgeons at HEI who were frank, honest and readily available to answer the multitude of questions I posed.  I think all the doctors who treat ANs, both micro and radiosurgeons, deserve a medal.  You don't knwo how good you have it here in the US.  These doctors are truly the best in the world. 

And everyone on this board was so very helpful to me in the awful time you all know so well in the lead up to making the BIG DECISION.  To be honest, I really appreciated hearing about the path each person had taken to treatment, their experience of that treatment, and the quality of life issues they have had to deal with post treatment.  Without that, and the personal touch of a couple of guys (you know who you are) who patiently listened and replied to dozens of my e-mails and even assisted when I'd chosen my treatment method I think I would have gone crazy.  But this type of behavior is what a support group should be.  Not the stupidity of a few who feel threateneed by others' choices. 

Yes, we who choose radiosurgery aren't given an iron-clad guarantee that our tumor will perish.  But personally speaking I live each day as though it's already dead.  I don't think about it, I don't dwell on the "what if they didn't get it all the cells" or even "what if the darn thing swells and squishes my brainstem".  I imagine some microsurgery folks must have wondered "what if they didn't get all the cells" too.  But those of us who have chosen radiosurgery and those of us who have had successful microsurgery go on and live our lives to the fullest of our ability.  The one thing I've learned about having an AN is how mentally strong it's made me, and how I grasp each day with so much more zest than before.  That's why I don't have time for the stupidity that seems to be going on in parts of this site about different forms of treatment. 

You know no one on this site is stupid.  The newly diagnosed post here not be told "the magic cure" because we all know that simply doesn't exist.  They want to hear everyone's experiences.  They want to read all the research material, even the material that criticises other forms of treament.  That's what you do when you're deciding - you read, you listen and you ask advice.  Then you get to sort it all out yourself and make your own decision.  And you live by that decision, however great or difficult the result is.  It's truly unhelpful when new people logon and find members being just plain nasty to each other. 

So I say let's make this site THE benchmark.  I challenge every member to post only their personal experiences and links to research material, and to avoid heresay, gossip and belligerent postings.  Life's too short.

CC
CC
3cm AN
CK Oct 05
with Dr Chang at Stanford

jamie

Re: A challenge to all members
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 02:00:25 pm »
Glad to hear you're sticking around CC. We definitely didn't want to lose you!  ;D
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 02:51:48 pm »
This is a positive and very encouraging post.  Thanks.  I appreicate your candid opinion, and hope you and other posters like you will be around if I ever need a "Second Visit".  One day at a time.

okiesandy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 04:21:46 pm »
I for one am very glad you are staying. If you leave it just leaves one less person to show that radiation is just one more option. As you know I was all set for Surgery at HEI Nov. 8th. My good friend the ins. co. thought differently. Then I started researching radiation because that of lack of experience the local neurotologist have. Strange how you you look at it in a different light when you choices change. Now after researching I look back to my surgical choice and thing WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING?

Why is it some of the surgery patients point out the 2 to 3% radiation failure and gloss over the 1% to 2% mortality rate of surgery. I am not a math whiz, but am I mistaken that there is not a lot of difference in these numbers? You hang in here and be the voice of calm in this crazy journey.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Mary

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 06:21:14 pm »
CC

I too felt the same way as you.   Thank you for saying the words I was not able too.

Mary

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 06:57:33 pm »
Cathy,

I agree. I have to say that without this board and the number of research documents and different views presented, that i would probably be a wreck particularly having to face potential surgery again. Mind you, I think i am going to have to send people my optometrist bill coz I'm sure that my change in eyesight is due to all the research documents I have read (lol). I didn't know about the other forms of treatment until I joined this site. I have also had encouraging emails and I monitor peoples successes and issues regularly and with great interest. Not only from a knowledge point of view but to also share my experiences (which is a lot of what this is about). Hang in there kid.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

antoinette

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 08:07:22 am »
I like your words of wisdom, i agree AN made us strong, I also welcome all experiences in each way to the big decision, treatments or not. There is an element of uncertainety in each. I am 'wait&watch", and like us all cross my finger that this was the right choice.
Thanks CC and bravo. No one has the right to push or judge the others.
antoinette

shoegirl

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 11:13:47 am »
CC,

I am so happy your are staying!  You really helped me with your posts about your Cyberknife experience and your advice has been great!  I appreciate you and everyone else that has been kind enough to share their experiences with me.  This board has been wonderful and I am so thankful I found it!

Suzanne
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 02:40:53 pm »
CC

I too am a post radiation patient (Gamma Knife) treated Nov 2003 at the University of Virginia.  My tumor was originally measured at 1.8 cm (left ear) and swelled to 2.0 cm after treatment and is currently hanging out at 2.0 cm.  My hearing remains about the same in my AN ear...just a bit more tinnitus that really evolved from an "ear clogging" that happened in Mid-July and not immediately after the radiaiton. 

I know one of the rebuttle posters that you took offense to, and I have to say that this poster (purposely being vague on a name here, because this seem to be personal)...has really been helpful in information for all aspects of treatment (watch and wait, radiation, and microsurgery) on another site.  To include helping me with information and support when I had a steroid treatment with my ear clogging.

On another note...I have posted this before elsewhere on another site, but I really believe that people really aren't trying to push their opinion.  I personally feel that some people try to validate their personal decision that they made by some of the information/opinions that they post.   But, I also feel personally that they really are trying to be helpful to the new people. 

Everyone wants to get better and put this behind them, and everyone wants to help the new scared person logging on for the first time because we have all "been there" and have the T-shirt.  Lets add an additional challenge to remember the other person has/had an "AN" too and is also there to help the new people and to try to remember that they are not the bad guy...no one is otherwise we will help no-one...not even ourselves.

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

jamie

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 03:44:19 pm »
I know one of the rebuttle posters that you took offense to, and I have to say that this poster (purposely being vague on a name here, because this seem to be personal)...has really been helpful in information for all aspects of treatment (watch and wait, radiation, and microsurgery) on another site.  To include helping me with information and support when I had a steroid treatment with my ear clogging.

That poster, while having good knowledge of surgery and other aspects of AN, does not always post accurate information on radiation. The problems that are causing this "us vs. them" mentality between surgery patients and radiosurgery patients, are that misinformation continues to be perpetuated, and folks are taking personal offense when that misinformation is challenged. It's nothing personal at all. I have seen the other site you are referring to, and judging by some of the things said about myself and another I won't mention because I do not want to speak for anybody, it is being taken very personal. We are not "aggressively" pushing radiation, and we are not just trying to "justify" our own personal choice. We are just correcting misinformation so that those who are new to this are fully and accurately aware of BOTH options, I have never discounted surgery as an option, or posted any false information about it. I am also not out to destroy HEI, I have great respect for their surgical abilities, I just take issue with the misinformaton they feed patients about radiosurgery, misinformation that is contradicted by many peer reviewed studies conducted by several different academic institutions.

It also seems we are seen as "know it all's" by a few, but any information I provide, I also provide a quote and a link to the peer reviewed study from which I obtained the information. I do not just make up info or repeat what I heard from one medical professional trying to pitch the form of treatment they provide. And that's what upsets me, when I see somebody choose an option based on false information, and that should upset anybody. So I do my best to make sure they have correct information, and I'm seen as "brutal" in my conviction, and that I think I know more than doctors. I don't, and that's the sad thing, I believe many surgeons know full well they are not being honest when they tell somebody they are too young for radiosurgery, or that it doesn't work, etc. That doesn't mean I am against surgery, if somebody feels better just getting it removed, that is definitely what they should do. Again, it's just when they are making a decision based on a falsehood that I feel the need to try and show them their decision is not based on fact. I would hope somebody would do the same for me. If I posted that I was choosing radiosurgery because a radiation oncologist told me most resected tumors recur within ten years, and that there was a very high chance I would die during surgery, I would be making that decision on false information, and I'm sure many would correct me. I hope they would anyway.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 04:18:59 pm by jamie »
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

okiesandy

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 09:22:37 am »
Jamie,CC & GM

All of you have posted some really good prospectives on treatment. Good and bad outcomes should be posted with every treatment choice. The after effects of any kind of treatment or non-treatment should be right out ther for all to see.  I have worked may years with research and the final papers that evolve from that research. There is not a research paper going out there that has 100% complete results that would fit any of us. After going from planning to have surgery to planning to have radiation, I can tell you that on another site I received some really hateful emails that questioned my sanity and choice of radiation. IF I have learned only one thing in this journey, it is there is no single answer that fits every AN Patient.

It is very strange when you are sure the only way to treat this is surgery and everything you read points in that direction as the only cure and hope. All of a sudden you can't go to a place like HEI and you are forced to face the fact that the doctor who would be doing your surgery closer to home would not be a choice you would feel comfortable with.  I personally went back and reread all I had passed over when I was first diagnosed and for the life of me I can't believe I eliminated any thoughts of radiation treatment. (I know I will be blasted for the comment I am about to make).  Research is  like reading the bible, you pick out the  parts that appeal to you at the time.

I for one am comfortable with my CK decision and just want to get it over with. If it fails, then the few who were so sure it would will be right and I will have made the wrong decision. (Maybe), then again if it works out really well I can just ad a little weight to the radiation decision. You can bet that no matter what the out come, I will be on here for many years and many posts venting or patting my self on the back for my wise decision. Hopefully all of us will be on here for a long long time. A side note is when I told my neurotologist I was going to skip surgery and go for radiation said, "I think you will be just fine".  My, my, how the story changes. He was sure only two weeks before that surgery was the only way to go. However, he never wants to discuss my CK ever again. His words not mine.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 10:11:11 am »
CC: I have looked and haven't been able to find the thread in which you encountered the problem, could you let me know where as  previously there was a problem with a member of ANAC message board and I happen to know this person also posts here and I would like to see if it is the same person. I agree that this message board is a God send to all those who have to deal with the problem associated with A.N. and I so wish this had been around when I went through all this initally in 1990, it would have really helped.....it wasn't until about 3 years post-op that I even heard about ANAC and then there was just monthly newletters.
Thanks heavens for the advancement of this association and ANAC for the great support it is. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

SuzeAN

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 10:37:45 am »
Great to see you are staying, loved what you wrote and I agree with you wholeheartedly.
 When I was first diagnosed I was lost, this is a scary diagnosis...and no diagnosing doctor had ever mentioned anything about a AN support group or website to me.  Although the CK docs I have to say did recommend using the net for information.  Being able to hear about others experiences and being lead to various research information is invaluable and this website makes it possible.  I do believe that some people may be over zealous in their choice of treatment, but its probaly reassuring to them that they made the best decision possible for themselves and they also feel the need to lead others in what has worked for them.  I know I am very happy so far with my CK treatment, no headaches, energy level back etc....after reading all I have on the subject and talking to docs I would recommend everyone with an AN investigate this as a potential avenue for their treatment; while this isn't the answer for all it is worth being part of your journey to finding what will work best for you. 
I intend to post any updates in my condition (good or bad), and reading about others helps immensely.  Thanks to all.
Cheers,
Suze
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

CC

• My homepage!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 10:51:56 am »
Kathleen

I'm not out to point fingers at anyone and from what I've seen that particular thread died when I said I'd quit the site.  So let's not dwell on those whose motives aren't particularly wholesome.  And for the rest of those who have posted since my challenge thank you.  I'm glad you agree we should be helpful rather than evalgelical in our postings.  

As I said before I admire those who choose surgery.  And we who have chosen radiosurgery must not forget that for many microsurgery is the ONLY choice.  My own neurosurgeon said he doesn't perform radiosurgery on tumors over a certain size and I know there are multiple reasons why people choose microsurgery over radiosurgery.  We have to remember that not all surgeons propogate misinformation to "scare" their patients into microsurgery.  Some truly believe it is the only treatment avaiable.  (Perhaps those of you out there who feel committed to radiosurgery start on a campaign to educate the microsurgeons?)  I believe we should applaud every patient for their choice because it is THEIR choice and the right choice for them at the time.  

We radiosurgery patients are also the lucky ones because we don't have the awfully long and painful recouperation time they have.  So please - again I say let's not have an "us and them" approach to this.  

On the brightest note I think I've had all month, I am pleased to say my fatigue has finally passed.  I worked an unbroken 10 hour day yesterday then went out and partied until 1am.  Woke up this morning after only 8 hours of sleep (finally no more 12 hour sleeps!) feeling rested and rearing to go and have spent the first couple of hours of the day catching up on some work and of course checking this site.  I particularly would like to thank Sue for saying the magic words "vitalzym" when I was at my most fatigued.  Thanks Sue - it truly is a wonder drug!

Have a great weekend all.  I'm off to see the Washington Capitals no doubt beaten by the NY Rangers.  Being a Caps fan is good training for a positive attitude - because we're always beaten!  Go Caps!

CC
CC
3cm AN
CK Oct 05
with Dr Chang at Stanford

jamie

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 11:48:25 am »
Glad to hear your fatigue as finally passed, CC. :)