Author Topic: ? for those with BAHA  (Read 6325 times)

Pembo

? for those with BAHA
« on: May 19, 2005, 05:08:51 pm »
The audiologist mentioned the warranty for the BAHA. Does anyone have more info on it? Cost, what it covers, etc? thank you.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Dave_S121

Re: ? for those with BAHA
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 10:41:04 am »
Pembo, My BAHA came with a 2 year Limited Warrant with 1 year Lost Stolen & Damages Coverage.  Entific will make normal repairs free of charge for up to 2 years.  If the BAHA is lost stolen or damage in the first year they will replace it.  Entific also offers 2 different warrant plans you can purchase.  The Gold Plan extendends the warrant repairs to 3 years and 2 years for lost, stolen & damage coverage.  The Platinum plan extends it up to 8 years, but after 4 years you will receive a new BAHA.  My audiologist hasn't discussed prices with me since I'm covered up until March 2006.  My guess is since you are receiving a new BAHA after 4 years the 8 year plan is probably expensive.  I'm meeting with my audiologist in a couple of weeks and plan on asking her prices for the coverage since if I want to go with the 8 year plan I will probably start setting aside money now. 

Hope this answered your question.

Dave Skaja
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 12:10:59 pm »
Thanks Dave. I seem to remember something about $3000 for so many years and the replacement. I didn't realize I wouldn't need to purchase it until the end of the standard. Maybe it's like a car? :)  Just trying to get a handle on how much $$$ this all will cost.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Bob Partak

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 10:01:29 pm »
Dave, With the BAHA can you have additional MRI's or are you limited to CAT- scans? You do have an implant in your skull. Thanks, Bob

Dave_S121

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 06:07:13 am »
Bob, Even though there is a small titanium implant in your skull you can still have follow-up MRI's.  I was given a card that fits in my wallet, one side is Airport instructions that should be presented at the screening check points and the other side that should be presented when having an MRI.  You will take your sound processor off while having the MRI, but the card said the patient can be exposed to an MRI exam with out any risks.  I haven't had an MRI since having the implant, but my doctor will be scheduling a follow-up MRI for me in October, 1 years after my AN surgery. 

Dave
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

Bob Partak

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 10:03:47 pm »
Thanks Dave,  Great info. The BAHA sounds better the more I study it. Thanks again. Bob

Russ

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 09:07:17 am »
Hi
  I haven't followed the whole thread but thought to inform not every single sided deaf person is a good candidate for BAHA.
  Some will do better with traditional 'Cross' type HAs.
  Audiologists can measure air-bone conduction threshhold to determine which type 'cross-over' is best.
  Best wishes to all of you!
  Russ

Bob Partak

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 09:01:15 pm »
Russ,
Thanks for the information. It's something I'll be asking my audiologist about. He mentioned the "cross" types but not the BAHA. He did so many tests on me that he may have checked air-bone conduction. My memory isn't the elephant type it was afew years ago. Bob