Author Topic: eye ointment  (Read 2652 times)

Karen

eye ointment
« on: November 07, 2005, 07:09:27 pm »
I have to use Refresh PM four times a day because of my dry eye and numb cornea.  How do you use it without having your eye greasy all the time?   I am constantly wiping my eye area because of the ointment.  Also how many of you with facial paralysis have trouble with chapped lips and dry mouth?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

matti

Re: eye ointment
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 07:45:14 pm »
Hi Karen - Luckily I am passed having to use the drops and ointment several times a day. I am 7 years post op now, and I occasionally (maybe 2-3 times per week) use some drops. Kind of depends on what I am doing, such as alot of reading and computer work. As for  chapped lips and dry mouth, I still have to use chap stick several times a day and I find it helps chewing gum or eating life savers to ease dry mouth.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Karen

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 05:23:18 pm »

atti, do you have facial paralysis?  It will be two years in December since my surgery.  Do things still get easier and better?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

luv2teachsped

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 07:58:12 pm »
Karen: Have you tried drops or gel during the day and save the "goopy" stuff for night?  Also, be careful about using gum and mints.  My last dental checkup(first since tumor) said because of the lack of salivia, the plaque was worse on my teeth.  They suggested using biotene or oral spray for dry mouth.  My purse is full of all good things! Biotene for dry mouth, genteal for dry eyes and saline mist for dry nose!  Guess I'll get a bigger purse. Good luck!luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

matti

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 12:40:43 pm »
 Karen - OOOps sorry, I should have mentioned that my gum and mints are all sugar-free and because of my lack of saliva, I see my dentist 4 times per year as opposed to my pre-AN which was 2x per year. To answer your question, things got much easier for me over time. I still have some problems, but they are all very managable.

Luv2teach - I know what you mean about the bigger purse. I had to end up getting a larger one for all my supplies... straws, various eye drops, chap stick, saline mist and my sugar-free gum and mints. It's not quite the size when my kids were little, but pretty darn close.

have a great day!
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50