Author Topic: doctors visit  (Read 3022 times)

reg

doctors visit
« on: June 11, 2009, 03:01:41 pm »
i had an appt with one of my surgical team doctors (fukishima) last week he said or i think he said everything was going alright. iam 2.5years post-op and had difficulties associated with the surgery. i done research on decompression surgery and ask if i was a good canidate to which he replied no.  he examined my mri's one this year one last and he showed me where the source of my unsteadiness was according to him. i thought there was a procedure for it (balance, facial tightness, periphiral nuerapthy etc) but he didnt,  needless to say i was disccouraged that point.  his office asst lori explained a lot to me she said i was still healing and that my trigerminal nerve had been badly bruised during the surgery she also said that my facial movement or symmertry was at 85% so there was no need for decompression surgery.  iam posting to say everyone is different and dont give up some days will be better than others
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: doctors visit
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 03:31:17 pm »
reg .....

So sorry you are continuing to have difficulties post-op.  Just wanted to say I also had Dr. Fukushima ..... but fortunately my AN was much smaller than yours (2+cm) and I had an excellent result from surgery.  Lori was wonderful throughout the entire process so feel free to call her with any concerns you may have.

As you already know, this Forum is a wonderful support group, as well, so keep coming back here.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:08:12 pm »
Hi Reg,

Always good to hear comforting words. Thanks for sharing.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:22:46 am »
reg, what does decompression surgery involve?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 05:57:22 am »
Decompression surgery is a procedure in which a neurosurgeon performs a craniotomy and then follows along a certain nerve looking for places where it is compressed, usually by a blood vessel. Over time such compressions cause demyelinization which causes corruption in the signal that the brain receives from the nerve.

It is most often performed for trigeminal neuralgia (compressions on the fifth cranial nerve) and for hemifacial spasm (compressions on the seventh cranial nerve). It is less commonly used for particular cases of Bell's Palsy.

I had hemifacial spasm; the MVD in my signature line stands for microvascular decompression.

Sara
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:58:53 am by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 10:38:36 am »
thanks sara
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 12:05:19 pm »
Reg ~

I was sorry to learn of your ongoing issues this far post-op but I agree that you can never submit to despair or resignation over these deficits.  As you noted, some days will always be better than others and tomorrow is always the opportunity for a better day.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.