Author Topic: Kathy M UPDATE! :)  (Read 2523 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Kathy M UPDATE! :)
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:49:32 am »
Hi everyone! This is Kathy's daughter Kristin, some of you might remember me from my posts when we first started this looong journey.

In the wee hours of the morning, my family and I packed up our belongings, checked out of the hotel that we stayed last night, and came to the hospital. My mom was prepped for surgery, stuck with iv's (one in her arterie, one in the vein which really hurt her because her veins are so tiny) then wheeled her into the OR, of course not without or hugs and kisses first!

We were given a buzzer (like the kind you get at restaurants that buzz when your table is ready) to notify us when we will be receiving an update. The first update came from Dr. Tew himself. At 8:30am he came out to the waiting area and introduced himself to the family, and told us she went under anesthesia just fine and everything is going swimmingly. Then we received a phone call from the front desk at around 10:45am to let us know that the surgery is going just as anticipated and again everything is going well.

We are probably going to go grab some lunch at the deli downstairs now. We have been playing cards and talking and laughing the whole time! Of course we are all a little anxious and awaiting our next update, but mostly we are all in high spirits. My dads two brothers and sister are here as our support group, and the pastor of our church even showed up! We are surrounded by so much love it is hard to be upset.

Fun little surprise: it turns out my dads cousin works at the hospital, and requested that a particular anesthesiologist be the one to  put my mom "under"! He is extremely talented and we all feel so good that he is the one to be doing the job!

Also, when we got to the hotel, the principal of the school that my dad teaches at had already paid for our room :)   

All of these gestures have made us all feel so blessed and fortunate that we have such a great support group.

And just for the record, I wanted to sincerely thank you all for your love and support throughout this entire thing. My mom has been talking about everyone non stop! You all have given her so much comfort knowing that she is not alone in this, that she is not the only one that has been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, and most importantly, that there is life after surgery.

I get teary thinking of how much you all mean to her, you are our family now, and I've always loved a big family, so what's one or two more members??

I will be keeping you updated, and I'm sorry if this post has been choppy and I've been rambling...I'm running on empty as far as sleep is concerned and there is so much that I want to tell you I just don't know where to start!

Keep praying, it's working!
More Later and lots of love,
Kristin :)
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Jwh

Re: Kathy M UPDATE! :)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:52:55 am »
Thank you for the update - will be checking frequently for more good news.
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

Patch

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:55:06 am »
I'm glad all is going well. Please keep us updated as we will keep you and your mom on our minds.
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:57:08 am »
Thanks for the update! just sent a prayer and hope for a speedy recovery. Please let her know that people all over the country are thinking of her. Keep us updated. From Fellow ANers' of Florida!!! :)
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

lori67

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 11:23:48 am »
Hi Kristin!

Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated.  I'm so glad to hear everything is going well and it sounds like mom has lots of support!

That is so sweet that your hotel room was paid for!  There are just wonderful, generous people all over!  And what a great way to help out your family - much better than a fruit basket, if you ask me!   :D

Hope the day goes by quickly for you - waiting is sooo hard.

Can't wait to hear it's all over and she's on the road to recovery!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:41:28 am »
Thanks for the update.  This is the hardest part for the family and friends.  So, just hang together and tough.  I'm confident things will go very well as expected.  Update us when you can.  Having the room paid for in advance by someone else was a great surprise!  You'll find that there are many who help along the way and in unexpected ways.

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jill

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 03:18:28 pm »
I have had your mom and your family in my prayers today.  I am glad all is going well.  Your information will help me and my family prepare for next Tuesday!

Jill

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 03:22:38 pm »
Kristin -

thank you SO much for the update.  I've been thinking of your mom today.

When she's awake enough to remember things, please tell her I send my best and can't wait for her first post op PM to me.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 03:32:18 pm »
Kristin~
Hope the day is moving right along...maybe the surgery is even over now.  I hope that everything continues to go well - I know it will!

You are all in my prayers!

K   :)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 05:06:34 pm »
Hi Kristin -
Just thought I'd take a break from sending prayers and positive energy to your mom long enough to say "Thanks" for keeping us all updated.  Tell your mom that her other family is worrying about her, okay?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

texsooner

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 05:14:31 pm »
Kristin...thanks for the update. Your mom is lucky to have such a great support system around her. I know it will be a big relief when the surgery is over, but I'm confident all will go well. Give her our best wishes, and you guys all take care of yourselves as well.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Denisex2boys

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 06:51:01 pm »
Thank you for the update - - family if sooooo' important to those of us going through this surgery - our blood family and our AN family - - I am looking forward to hearing that your mom had a very successful outcome - as we all did!
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

carter

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 06:55:45 pm »
my prayers are with your mom and teh whole family
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 03:29:53 pm »
Sending postive energy your way!
You sound like a loving daughter. I have three daughters and can't tell you how much I appreciated the love and support from them while I was healing.
Your mother needs you and there you are... big warm hugs to the great caregivers in our lives.
Michelle  :-*
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.