Author Topic: one year post GK  (Read 2707 times)

Vivian B.

one year post GK
« on: June 23, 2011, 06:10:12 am »
Hello Everybody,

I had my one year MRI yesterday. I was suppose to have it with contrast but the radiology department said that the MRI request did not have a request for contrast which I found very odd since all of my MRIs have been with contrast. Anyway I saw my Neurosurgeon and I received good news, the tumor is stable, no growth which they consider so far that the radiation is successful. When I asked the Neurosurgeon about the contrast, he thought I should have had it but indicated that even without it they can still measure the size, but they can't see any necrosis without the dye. He said that in any case, shrinkage of the tumor is a bonus. I go back in one year's time. The Neurosurgeon suggested to try and put it behind me during the year as it helps with the recovery. I am a bit better with that I think but you all know how it is, easier said then done. One interesting thing the doctor mentioned is that he cannot really explain the pressure pain I get. I know from others on the forum that some also get it, so I am not going to make a big deal out of it right now.

To all those that have had GK, hang in there.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: one year post GK
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:26:49 pm »
Hi, Vivian ~

Thanks for the update.  Congratulations on a 'stable' MRI report!  I hope you'll try to take the doctor's advice.  Although you can't simply 'forget' that you have an AN, no amount of worry is going to change anything, one way or the other.  So, you may as well live your life and not allow the tiny benign tumor to control any aspect of that life (except to have another MRI).

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:10:05 pm »
Hi Vivian,

congratulations on your MRI result. You should know that at TWH it is standard procedure to do the MRI without contrast, but since the size can be clearly seen, this is not a problem. Regarding necrosis, I don't think it is so important to detect this anyway. Two of my MRIs post GK did show wide spread darkening, but at the end my treatment failed, so darkening is not a definite sign that the tumour is dying.
Since your doctor said to go back in a year, it means that he is pretty confident, so you should be too. Otherwise he would say to come back in 6 months. Enjoy the summer and don't worry about the AN.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Vivian B.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 06:55:19 am »
Thank you both for your good wishes. Marianna, I have been following your thread and I am glad it's all over and you are recovering.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.