Author Topic: A survey: How about if we all "grade" how our AN affects our life everyday?  (Read 9421 times)

TP

4 CM surgery June 2006
Grade 7 right after surgery due to complications (2 CSF leaks, menigitis, lumbar drain, double vision and three eye surgeries)
Now grade 3 (SSD, tinnitus, facial paralysis, eye issues) However, have a wonferful outlook and I stay positive, God is good and I am blessed to be healthy and able to work, play and exercise! I don't let my "little issues" keep me from doing anything.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

beancounter

Very tiny AN, diagnosed incidentally, no typical problems.... so zero for me on that.   Anxiety from knowing it's there?  Let's go with a 5.  Shattered wrist with external fixation, RSD, more surgery to insert hardware, radial sensory nerve impingement with third surgery anticipated in 3 months?  I'll give that a 9.92483.  Being alive, regaining my sense of humor, grabbing back the floating pieces of my soul (think Alka Seltzer's "The Blahs" commercial from the 60s)?  Let's go with Pi.  Hi all, miss you, not here much because I'm still wedded to my therapy (feel like I'm joined at the hip with my therapist...shhh don't tell my better half).  God bless you all.   
Newly diagnosed 3x2 mm .... waiting to see what my options are

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Beancounter -

sorry I missed you!!!  I'm currently out of town, but will contact you when I return.  Sorry to hear you're still dealing with the therapy.

Anyway - my response to the question at hand.

Retrosigmoid surgery 5/31/07  tumor was 2.5+ cm
SSD - left side (only permanent side-effect)
BAHA implant 3/4/08  processor 6/4/08

I'd honestly like to say I'm grade 1 - no affect - but I'd imagine I'd be lying.  Can't really say I'm a grade 2 though.  I guess I'd put myself at grade 1.5

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

elderbirds

Hi All,
I had a 1.6-1.8 cm AN removed via retrosigmoid on 4/2/08.  Before surgery I was a 0 (minus the anxiety),  today I'd say a 2-3.  Not the same person, mostly annoyed by the eye and facial thing but there's really nothing I can't do now that I couldn't do before (haven't attempted swimming yet!). 
Hope

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Yep, I'll play too.  2CM, GK, and I'm going to say Grade 2 and some days Grade 3, unless I'm feeling sorry for myself, then it's a 4!  Truthfully, I know I'm lucky in that my symptoms, however annoying they might be, are relatively minor.  But, let's just call it 2 1/2, because of tinnitus and the days it seems extremely loud to me, and because of wonkyness. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

satman

Deal me in,8 cm removed via translab in april 07, 17 1/2 hr surgery.
i still have a non animated face,left side ssd,and some other fun stuff that i will not bore you guys with.
i would rate it as a 2 on the physical side of things,3-4 on the mental side,but thats only when i start thinking,which aint often.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

JerseyGirl2

1.3 cm AN -- trans-lab surgery 1/2008
Pre-surgery quality: 1
Post-surgery quality: 1 (six months following surgery)

gradual hearing loss was my only symptom; SSD my only post-surgery "issue," and that is being abated by my BAHA Intenso.

I did experience extreme fatigue following surgery (I think this was a very minor perturbation compared to the various balance, visual, facial, etc. issues experienced by many), but it lessened steadily during the months after surgery, and, at six months out, I now feel that I'm back to all my normal activities and energy level.
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

LADavid

Well, mine might be a bit different since I need a face to work and I don't have a face that works right now and may not for the next two years -- if ever.  It has had a huge impact on my life.  One in which I've had to redo and re-think everything.

I started in with a 1.5cm and life was a 1.  I had some balance issues but none that actually affected my life.

Now, 7 months later it's an 8.  My life is totally different than it was a year ago.  I now have synkinesis with some pain, most of my hearing is gone, I'm having an MRI in two weeks because my surgeon said something isn't right, and my career as I knew it, is gone.  The only reason I don't classify it as a 10, is that I have faith there is something better for me in the future.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
The only reason I don't classify it as a 10, is that I have faith there is something better for me in the future.

David

David -

I, too, have incredible faith that there is something better for you in the future.

Keep the faith and stay strong.

Good luck with the MRI.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

chocolatetruffle

AN - 2.8 cm
translab 11/08
1 good ear left, with both tinnitus
grade 2

.......and life is priceless.
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

LisaP

Hi All,

Since I'm still consider myself a "Newbie", by the way how long until I'm not a "Newbie"?  Any one know?

Since being dx back in March of 08 and I am on the "Wait and See".  My AN is considered small 8 x 8 x 12 mm, I would say overall a 2 - 3 daily.   Everyday it remnds me that it is there with either ear pain, pulling of my face, headaches ect.  But I work every day and still do my normal activity although I would say that I fatigue more easily.  Is that normal?   

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Boppie

I had Translab, 2cm ,  31 months ago.  No complications or complaints.  My health and life are completely normal. Constant tinnitus in both ears is more noticeable when I don't wear my aid.  Most days I forget I have SSD.  Life quality pre op grade 10,  post op grade 9+   The cup has always been more than half full.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:34:54 pm by Boppie »

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
I'll play.........................3.5 Translab  7/28/05  the day before other than balance issues, I was a 1. now three years later I am a ten.  My entire life has changed.  I flunked out of PT after three months of daily PT,  I have migraines at least three times a week, even with Topomax and Straterra and Cymbalta and the rest of the list of scripts.  I go for lymphedema treatment five days a week for three hours a day.  I have also been diagnosed with NF2, which was there when the first AN was removed, but wasn't mentioned to me at the time.  I am a wait and watcher on that one.  I enoy the hours I can and am thankful for a lot of things, but if I had my druthers, I would have gone swiftly in the night before facing this.  I feel like a whiner because so many have it so much worse than I do and I am thankful it isn't any worse. 
I wish I had found this forum before my surgery, I would have been better informed and the issues wouldn't have been as difficult to face.  I admire everyone here.
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
  I feel like a whiner because so many have it so much worse than I do and I am thankful it isn't any worse. 

oh you are not a whiner .. I know people who whine over a little sniffel ... dont understimate the strength you and others have! we need a little whine and cheese for support ... but then push on for the next battle!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Dana

• Hi!
Brendalu and LADavid, Actually I've been surprised that so many folks have rated their lives at 2 or 3.  I definitely think some descriptions I've read seem like an 8 or 10 to me!

In the next few days I'm going to figure out how to compile all the responses, and post a summary.
Hugs to all,
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.