Author Topic: What's your tinnitus like?  (Read 17588 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: What's your tinnitus like?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 01:53:15 pm »
Oh, and you don't have to change the subject line to hijack a thread.  All you have to do is talk about something different, not related to the thread subject.  A better option is to send a PM to a person, or start a new topic.  Or at least make sure Phyl isn't online when you post :).
try again... more than just me watching... ;)

So, no one else other than me and Captn Deb run into "cricket" tinnitus, although I did see cicada comments.....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Esperanza

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 04:29:56 pm »
I've noticed my tinnitus getting worse lately (7 weeks out of surgery).  As I stated before, the base noise, that's always there, is very much like EBS.  The more bothersome part is that every sound that comes in the good ear is amplified and echoed as a staticky noise in my ssd ear.  The more environmental noises around me, the more noises I get.  The louder they are, the louder the tinnitus.

This will generally get easier to live with -  by 7 months you should be well used to it and not think about it so much (I listen to BBC Radio 4 a lot when i'm at home - the 'echo' makes the hourly pips a little more interesting  :)).
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

sgerrard

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 08:32:02 pm »
So, no one else other than me and Captn Deb run into "cricket" tinnitus, although I did see cicada comments.....

Golly, you mean I didn't mention the word crickets enough times in my post?  :D (bottom of page 1)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Keri

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 08:48:10 pm »
what's EBS? (as in tinnitus)
speaking of acronymns, what's PBW or is it PWB?

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

southpaw

• Yes, I am left-handed. Gotta problem with that?
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 05:14:27 am »
Keri,

Sorry for not being more descriptive about what EBS is.

EBS stands for the Emergency Broadcast System. It was a way for the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) to get your attention via radio or television during a disaster or other emergency.  It was replaced in 1997 by the Emergency Alert System.  When I was a kid growing up, I remember that radio and tv stations would run tests of the system.  They always played a "tone" during the test. It was strange sounding thing.  Here is a link to a website that has the tone:

http://hypertextbook.com/physics/waves/beats/ebs.html

I used the term EBS to describe what my tinnitus sounds like.  People often ask me what my tinnitus sounds like.  I always refer to the EBS tone.  It's the only way I can describe it.

Dave (a.k.a. Southpaw)
AN 3mm x 3mm x 2mm diagnosed March, 2009.
Symptomatic since June, 2006.
Currently in the watch & wait holding pattern.

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 12:47:03 pm »
Re:  crickets chirping.  I, too, get this at times.
From page one:
"When tired, the sounds seem louder and sometimes turn into crickets chirping."
 :)
Kathy

Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

Keri

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 08:56:48 am »
ok, now i get ebs... i was thinking it was a medical thing. thanks, dave! i had an ebs sound pre surgery. post op my sounds have more of a whooshing noise, instead of a clear tone. high pitched cicadas, or something like that.
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 02:16:02 pm »

Mine is a Hissssssssssssss all the time it can be a REALLY LOUD HISSSSSSSSSSS or a very quite hisssssssssss, I guess a bit like the shell to the ear noise, it too gets worse when I'm tired or stressed, it is exacerbated in loud environments and sometimes pulsates which makes me almost jump out of my skin.

Majority of the time I ignore it, but sometimes I find myself rubbing my ear desperately trying to rid myself of the feeling of fullness, it feels like its full of water.

Cheryl XxX  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 06:43:49 am »
My tinnitus tells me useful things, like... "stand up straight", "eat your vegetables", and "wear clean underwear when you go out in case you get hit by a bus". Wait, that's the other phantom noise in my head...

My tinnitus is constant and usually pretty loud. It's of a higher pitch than I remember the EBS tone as being. I've had tinnitus for a very long time but it did get somewhat louder post AN surgery. I've had it for so long that it's not really very bothersome...the exception to this would be on those rare occasions that I'm having difficulty falling asleep, it is not at all helpful.

It was actually 3 episodes of short duration volume increase in my tinnitus that sent me to the audiologist which lead to the discovery of my AN...so mine actually proved useful.

White noise such as a fan running used to help, but now it's loud enough that in order for the white noise to mask out the tinnitus the white noise itself becomes annoying.

Since I haven't been able to find a medical, environmental, or lifestyle solution I've decided to go with a philosophical solution... can't change, just accept it and move on.

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

moe

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 07:53:26 am »
Great outlook Tim. I love your sense of humor BTW ;D
I actually HATE my tinnitus and still am having problems accepting it. Almost 3 years post op :(
A high pitch squeal, kind of like EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :o
 24/7 that doesn't change in its character. Just annoying and gets louder through the day :'(
I try to just stay busy.......
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

grega

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 03:00:42 pm »
Hi all,

Like most of you, mine's high-pitched, constant, and more noticeable at times.  But with Tim's sorta thinking, I'm basically able to ignore it.  I wish the rest of you that ability too.

Now, I'm planning to participate in a T study ..... see the link on the Am Tinnitus Association's (www.ata.org) main page.  Has anyone else ever participated in this, or another, type of health study?

Thansk, Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Keri

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2009, 08:37:46 pm »
Mine is worse than immediatley post op (I'm 3 months), but I think better than pre op. I get used to it too; sometimes it's more annoying than others. But mine sounds now like a high pressure power washer! Most of the time it's the high pitched whoooosh; or sometimes the seashell noise; but when I'm about to fall asleep I suddenly get a quick burst of sound like a power washer in my ear. It doesn't last long, just kind of weird.

I'm going to look up that study, Greg.. haven't yet.

Keri

My head feels weird!!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 05:35:16 am »

I was happy post op... the "T" was down! ..  of course I was on Meds and sleeping most of the time ...

once I started work again ... it was right back to its very loud levels again .... :(    loud and constant emergency broadcast system ....

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

LOIS

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009, 12:00:55 am »
 Mine is constant.  Its a hissing sound that gets louder with a headache or when I'm tired.  You can go to neuromonics.com and click on the sound demos to hear all the different tinnitus sounds.  One of them will match up with what you hear.

Lois
Diagnosed 07/08   1.2 x 1.1 cm. left AN Retosigmoid surgery 08/08 with Dr. Bartels  @ Tampa General Hospital

arianhrod333

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 01:41:17 am »

I have the EBS whine also. It does get louder at times. Bedtime sucks but the tv helps. At first it caused migraines and interfered with sleeping. The doc put me on meds to pass out and they in turn caused decreased vision, groggines, serious concentration issues and eventually a panic attack. I stopped taking the meds and learned that ,over time, you really can learn to ignore it most of the time.   :P