Author Topic: What to bring to the hospital?  (Read 7185 times)

GramaSuby

• "Lost my muchness have I"? ALICE IN WONDERLAND
What to bring to the hospital?
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:11:41 am »
My surgery is on the 30th of Sept and I have never spent time in the hospital so I don't know what I will need to bring and what not to bring. Any suggestions?
Diagnosed Nov 08  w/ 14x13x14mm left AN. Translab on 9/30/10 w/ Dr's Mattox & Olson at Emory University Hosp. in Atlanta.  Post surgery complications were meningitis & pneumonia. Hospitalized for 12 days, zero memory for the first 5.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: What to bring to the hospital?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:35:43 am »
Hi GrammaSuby-

I know just how you feel!  I had never spent any time in the hospital either when all of this dropped into my life.  There is a great thread about this with lots of good suggestions - check this out:
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=34.30

The must-haves in my mind are:  chap stick, eye drops (get the disposable singe use kind, they don't burn), pillow, face wipes and mints.   I also suggest that you bring something like yoga pants for the ride home if you are having the belly-fat graft.  My incision was right where the waist band of my pants was and I had to ride home with my pants unzipped.   :o

I am sure that my fellow forum-ites will have lots of other good suggestions.

Good thoughts!
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:27:40 am »
Grama -

I'm one of those who packed way too much  ::)

The things I found invaluable were:

a robe (to cover that lovely slit in the back of the hospital gown when you get out of bed)  ;D

a pair of slippers (with good gripping bottoms - you don't want to slip) for when they make you get out of bed and walk the halls

pictures of myself and my kids to put on the bulletin board at the end of my hospital bed (great inspiration during recovery)

sunglasses for the ride home

Other than that the hospital provided everything I needed - gown, comb, toothbrush, paste, very attractive socks, etc.

I had incredible nausea post op and have heard from many on the Forum that peppermint helps that.  So in hindsight, I wish I would have had some of that.

Good luck on the 30th,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:00:49 pm »
Hey, how you holding up?

Yep, chap stick!  Eye stuff as well, but the hospital provided the individual packs for me - gave me a bunch to take home also.  Of course, we will cross our fingers that you won't even need any eye lube! 

Hope you're still planning to come to the meeting next week!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:31 pm »
The two most important things for me were:
- my own pillow with a brightly colored pillowcase.  The hospital pillows are shockingly uncomfortable and coated with plastic so they don't breathe at all.  The colored pillowcase is so yours doesn't accidentally get mixed up with the hospital ones.
- non skid slip-on shoes or slippers.  Hospital floors are disgusting from a microbe point-of-view.  Have something right by the bed so that whatever you use to walk on the floors never ends up in the bed with you.  I used Crocs (which could then be washed when I got home).

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:57:47 pm »
Sue .....

You already have many valuable suggestions from the others.  Robe, slippers, Chapstick would be at the top of my list, followed by my own toothbrush and toothpaste.  I did not take my own pillow, but it would have been a nice addition.  Skip the gowns and underclothes, except for clothes to wear home.  You may or may not have a central line and/or IV and cannot put anything over your head.  It may vary some from patient to patient, but I had a catheter for a couple of days, as well.

I had quite a bit of double vision for the first 10-12 days so reading material was useless ..... but pictures are nice to have for those warm, fuzzies we all need.  There was a TV in my room, but I only used it for the sound most of the time.  If you have an IPod and like music, that can be soothing.

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cin605

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 03:37:36 pm »
If you have a cell phone....do not forget your charger...then you do not have to use the hospital phone.
Best of Luck .
Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 03:41:51 pm »
Your Toothbrush!

Best Wishes!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 07:58:14 pm »
Books were one of the items I overpacked.

Like Clarice I had double vision post op.  I couldn't read or watch TV without closing one eye - which I found to be a total pain in the butt  :P  So, I just chose to sleep instead  ;D

My double vision lasted 2 or 3 days - but it's important to note that not everyone ends up with double vision.  I know many who never experienced it post op.

If you decide to bring an iPod, be aware that the hospital isn't responsible for valuable items and might frown on this - unless you give it to a family member for safekeeping.  Also, if you end up SSD you'll find your iPod pretty disappointing.  Mono sound just isn't as good as stereo  :(

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 09:49:34 pm »

My double vision lasted 2 or 3 days - but it's important to note that not everyone ends up with double vision.  I know many who never experienced it post op.

I'm among those who didn't have any problems with double vision, and happily read and watched television while in the hospital.  Everyone's story is different!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 07:45:31 am »
I had double vision and I'm SSD, thats why I only brought my Toothbrush...pack lite...family can bring you what you need / like once you're able to enjoy things other than constant sleep...which you'll really need!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

moe

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 11:03:41 am »
Great replies!
Can't add anything, but that cell phone charger is definitely a great idea. I was so busy trying to get better and get OUT of the hospital.
Bathrobe is not a bad idea, but I just used a second gown and put it on like a jacket to cover my behind.
Whatever you don't have you can have your gopher person get it (go for this, go for that....... ;D)
Will keep you in our prayers.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

staypoz

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 07:11:47 am »
I'd add that any tops you bring to wear home should button in the front, so you're not trying to pull something over your head.  I also brought sweet smelling soap and some lavender oil to mask the hospital smell. 

Good luck to you!

staypoz

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 08:19:10 am »
Those soft fuzzy socks!  My feet were always cold  :).  My own pillow was a biggie because I have neck issues from time to time.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.