Author Topic: Good news on facial paralysis issues  (Read 4211 times)

Brewers7

Good news on facial paralysis issues
« on: September 25, 2012, 07:08:53 pm »
I just returned from my visit in Maryland.  Dr. Byrne said that I am a candidate for the T3; however, we also dicussed a nerve "boost" procedure.  It is my understanding that it is minimally invasive and involves the use of a branch of the 5th nerve (used for chewing) that is not esential in order to boost a branch of the 7th nerve, thereby improving movement.  He said that there should be some swelling for a week or so and improved function (smile) in six to eight months.  He said that they have not published the results yet but they have had no negative results.  The downside - Baltimore is expensive.  Has anyone had this procedure?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:59:35 pm by Brewers7 »
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Good news on facial paralysis issues
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:42:46 am »
glad to hear your trip went well. This 5th nerve boost is news to me.  Please keep us informed about it. I wonder if it can be done on me - I'm getting tired of dealing with the paralysis everyday.
always good thoughts, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Brewers7

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 01:03:48 pm »
Nancy,
We are trying to schedule the procedure for mid-December, so I should not see results until the summer.  I will keep you posted.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

pwurtz

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 06:51:00 pm »
I think my plastic surgeon here in Indy told me about this same procedure today.  He said it would be outpatient, only require about 2 days of missed work, and about a week of swelling.  Scaring would be on the inside edge of your ear.  He's never done the surgery himself, but he is offering it.  He said it's been done 10 times total so far.  8 people saw improvement and 2 did not, but nobody suffered any further damage.  It's intended to improve the smile of people with partial recovery from facial paralysis.  It would not work for those with complete paralysis.   I'm interested, but hesitant.  I had a brow lift a year ago and suffered a staph infection. Not sure if I'm ready to go under the knife again.

http://www.anausa.org/smf/Smileys/classic/huh.gif

LakeErie

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:02:51 pm »
I don't have paralysis, but the NE Ohio chapter support group speaker in Oct is this doctor from the Cleveland Clinic. From his online resume:

Innovations & Patents

Developed a new minimally invasive procedure for patients with long-standing facial nerve paralysis that significantly improves facial symmetry. Many of these patients have long suffered with their paralyzed face without realizing the sagging can be addressed with a short outpatient procedure.

His full resume is here: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/staff_directory/staff_display.aspx?DoctorID=4544
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017