Author Topic: ANA Wine (or whine) Club  (Read 22425 times)

lori67

Re: ANA Wine (or whine) Club
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 01:27:24 pm »
Anne Marie - it could be worse - my husband makes his own beer - imagine how my house smells?   I finally bought him a gas grill with one of those side burners so he can make it outside and not stink up the whole house!

I think we can probably use some of the James' homebrew and some of Dr. Louis' wine for the garage anaesthesia.   I'm sure a combination of the two will be sure to knock anyone out!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Lorenzo

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 01:33:23 pm »
Would the actual liquid be used for anaesthesia, or just the gases? :)
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 03:40:26 pm »
I think we're definitely goign to have to go for the low-end stuff for anesthetic purposes - I fear that the Garage Surgeons might drink the better stuff. 

Lorenzo, I wonder if we can get any of your favorites here in NJ/NY?  I'm always looking for new reds to try.  And, of course, I am not adverse to a nice, cry, crispy white either (although I despise California Chards because, IMHO, they've just ruined them with too much oak...)  Do love a fresh, sassy Prosecco - it seems an apt beverage for an afternoon on the patio...

Debbi - dreaming of wines yet to be sampled...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Lorenzo

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 04:03:13 pm »
Debbi,  No idea if you can get them there. I bet the Tuscan stuff (Sassicaia and so on) are available, for a small mortgage. Some of the others too, they're not that difficult to find, I don't think. Then of course, I have no idea what you guys over on that side of the Atlantic can get or not. None of those are difficult tinf here.

I like white, but absolutely detest oaked Chardonnay. Eurk. Crisp and (c)dry whites are nice!

Buona notte!  :D

Lorenzo
doing great now.

Mark

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 06:09:30 pm »
Lorenzo,

as long as you're on the world wine tour, why not add Malbec's from Argentina which would match up well with your preference for varietals such as the Cab Franc and Barbera.

I can help you on the CA wines the next time you're in town  ;D. I would also agree with those that there has been a tendency in Napa particularly to "over Oak" the Chards. However, there are a number of good "french style" ones , especially in the Carneros region, so it would be a mistake to reject the whole region in total

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 06:51:54 pm »
For my birthday this year, my husband paid my "tuition" to a wine making school at a local vineyard

So, Debbi, does this mean that Lori and I can expect to receive some of the bottles you're making when we're at the shore?  I don't know the address of the place I'm staying, but I can find out  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lorenzo

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 10:16:31 pm »
Malbec, forgot. Right. There's one wine I really like from Argentina called 'Lo Tengo' and it has one of the best labels I have ever seen. If anyone finds it, buy it, it's a hoot.

I recently had a few bottle of Sangiovese di Puglia, and nice they were too! Also found a really light and refreshing Vinho Verde from Portugal, perfect for those pre dinner drinks or for making Kir.

Mark, you're right, there are some Chards that are not oaked and are much better. Unfortunately I'm just not that fond of Chardonnay in any case, regardless of where they're from.

Salute, Lorenzo
doing great now.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 07:27:09 am »
Jan, sorry, but we are only pressing the grapes now and then they go into french oak barrels for a year - come back next year, though, and there's a bottle with your name on it!

Mark, thanks for the tip on the Carneros chards - I'll look for a bottle and give it a try.  I do like some of the French chards I've had when in Europe, so maybe there is still hope...

Lorenzo - I had totally forgotten about Vinho Verde!!  I love that wine, especially in the summer!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 07:30:52 am »
Cool  8) my own personal bottle of wine!  Booking my reservations even as we speak  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lorenzo

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 07:33:30 am »
Debbi, yes, me too, until I had it for my post-birthday dinner at a restaurant, and I got interested in it again! Then of course I found the same one at a local discount shop, for 1/5 of the price!! They rip us off here for wine in restaurants, 300-400% mark up seems to be the norm. And one can't bring one's own wine for consumption either, they don't like that here! sigh. Now, I mostly drink a glass when dining out, or water. The good wines are just wayyyyy to expensive. Buying a bottle is out of the question!

Can I have a bottle too?

Ciao, Lorenzo
doing great now.

lori67

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 08:53:02 am »
Debbi - reserve me a bottle too!  Unless you're stomping the grapes with your feet..then I think I'll let Jan have my bottle.   :P

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 09:23:22 am »
I know very little about wine ...as a kid in California in the late 60s early 70s I did sneak my parents from
time to time ...and after LA earthquake of maybe 70 or 71 I was a wreck and a doctor told parents to give
me a small glass of wine to calm me because he didn't want to give me tranquilizers ...could you imagine a
doctor telling parents that now ... I was in 3rd grade  :o

I took to alcohol at about 25 years old to anesthetize my in myself in a  bad marriage and
drank to excess to get numb...wine ...whiskey ... the occasional beer ...didn't work and after waking up at
a river dam about 3 miles down river  from our house after floating there I decided that it wasn't for me ...

I do remember thinking a swim would make the hungover feeling go away and walking down to the river ...we
lived maybe 100 feet from the river... next thing I know I was several miles away on the shore missing one
shoe... that was July 1st 1986 and have not drank anything since ... I think I may have an addictive trait in me ...
I could not drank a mixed drink or a glass of wine... I drank 7 or 8 drinks or two bottles of wine ... didn't work
up to it just dove in... that lasted about a year and had I not took the swim wonder where I would be now...I
love the Elk River for spitting me up and waking me up...

I do like the taste of wine but settle on the scent when others around me are partaking ... too bad I don't
have smelling capability on this thing  :(

OK ...veered off subject ....

Back to the original subject ... my blood pressure has been elevated since about 2 months after surgery... my
kidneys don't want to work full time and I hold fluid and it pushes up BP... one doctor suggested that all the 
pills I swallow to keep my head on my shoulders may have caused some damage to kidneys ... other says no...
so who knows... I take diazide(sp) to flush fluid and it keeps BP in check

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Lorenzo

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 10:29:24 am »
What can I say...    :(  The other side of alcohol.  Glad that river spewed you out again and you live to experience a different life Soundy!

I can imagine that a lot of meds could cause some BP problems, maybe. I don't know, not an expert. In my case, I don't take anything other than BP meds, so that's not it. I guess it's just one of those things, no explanation. Not yet anyway.

Ciao, Lorenzo
doing great now.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 02:38:05 pm »
Debbi - reserve me a bottle too!  Unless you're stomping the grapes with your feet..then I think I'll let Jan have my bottle.   :P

Lori

Lori -

haven't you heard?  Feet stomping adds to the flavor of the grapes - YUM  ;)  :P

Jan

Lorenzo

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 02:41:59 pm »
... all those wild yeasts help with the fermentation!  :)
doing great now.