Author Topic: News Article on AN and Cell Phone  (Read 7620 times)

marystro

News Article on AN and Cell Phone
« on: January 21, 2007, 09:13:58 pm »
I just saw this article from EE Times today.  I knew I asked about cell phone effect before to you on the forum and even my doctor.  There was no conclusive answer.  However I still believe cell phone might have something to do with the cause of my AN.

Seeing this new article which mentions if cell phone is like cigarette of the 21st century, I am curious again.  I am in the telecom business and more specific in the cell phone industry.  My co-workers who are experts in the technology state repeatedly that the entire phone is emits radio frequency that it is an antenna by itself.  These are the inventors of wireless technologies and many with patents.  They even said that it is highly likely that the radiation emits by the cell phone causes adverse effect to the body.  Of course, the companies and telecom businesses will never agree with the allegation officially.

I wonder how many of us have been heavy cell phone users the last 10 years.  I have been and most of the time did not use an ear piece until after my diagnosis.  I even had many occasions that I had the phone to my ear so long that it was heated up.  The article pigued my suspicion again.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196902323
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:23:14 pm by marystro »
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

Battyp

Re: News Article on AN and Cell Phone
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 09:49:52 pm »
Mary in all honesty I think my cell phone had something to do with my AN but....I think my body was predisposed to the AN and the cell phone helped speed up the growth.  Just like a body is predisposed to cancer as it's a genetic thing and a massive sunburn when you are young can start you on a path to melanoma later in life.

rebarman

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 09:58:29 pm »
I have never owned a cell phone, and only used one twice in my life, so I'm pretty sure my AN was not a result of cell phone. That said, I'm not convinced that there aren't some people that have been adversly affected, and I do think there should be more research
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 10:01:49 pm by rebarman »
1.5cm x 1.4 cm AN on left side
Removed by Translab on Jan 29, 2007
Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson @ Emory Univ. Hosp.

matti

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 10:06:48 pm »
I was diagnosed in 1998 and had never used a cell phone prior to that time.

I did however have friend who was a VERY loud/shrill talker on the phone (wireless home phone) and we used to talk daily (for several years prior to diagnosis). My left ear which was my phone ear (AN side) would actually ache after chatting with her. I know it sounds strange, but I often wonder if that had something to do with it and as batty mentions, we are predisposed to AN's and perhaps different environmental factors may trigger it.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 12:15:26 am »
MAry,

Very interesting. I actually boiught the paper the other day to read the article. The arguments they maek for a new study are really interesting. I have been using a mobile phone for years but my AN started before I had a cell phone. This said, I have started years ago to stop using it on a regular basis, and now I only use it for sending sms messages or making calls if I have to.

Also, some people tell me that the cordless phones we use at home are just as bad with similar possible effects. I'm switching to normal crod phones in the house again.

Fortunately, I don't use either verymuch anyway!

Thanks for posting the link!

Ciao, Lorenzo

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 07:24:13 am »
Hi Gang:

I rarely use a cellphone, in fact, if I use one 5 times in 1 year that's alot.
Oh well,  I still blame the 'French' side of me for it(that side was always jealous of the Italian side anyway !! lol)
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Lorenzo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 08:42:50 am »
;D  Considering the mutual distrust and animosity between the two, I'm not surprised you have an AN!
Ciao, Lorenzo

Windsong

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 09:35:35 am »
I don't use my cell phone much either. I recall something about a there being a difference between analogue and digital phones, also.

As for cordless phones, I used one exclusively at home for about 4 years. I dumped it after the lines crossed too many times and i kept getting strangers conversations on my line ROFL.

Now i use my cell phone only when neccessary and when i DO want to take a call while out and about.

Cheers,
Windsong

Static

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 11:22:37 am »
I didn't use a cell phone much until recently.  However, I have used a cordless phone for as long as I can remember and my AN was on the side that I used for the phone.  Who knows  :-\
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

mykey

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 03:49:03 pm »
I am also not convinced that cell phones have no bearing on head-health issues.
Does anyone know of any info concerning bluetooth ear pieces and their possible relation to the topic at hand?
I wear a bluetooth on my ear pretty consistently during the day. Ofcourse I have had to switch to the ear without the AN.
I would hate to think that I am playing russian roulet with the only good ear I have left.

Mykey
Diagnosed  1/20/2007. Right side AN 2.5 cm
50yr, guitarist for 35 yrs.
Married w/10yr old son.
Translab 4/26/07 at Emory University performed by: Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson
Surgery successful!
Extended time in ICU due to CSF leaks.

Lorenzo

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 11:36:37 pm »
Don't know of any studies about Bluetooth. But in doubt, why risk it? I know I wouldn't!
Ciao
Lorenzo

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 02:05:37 am »
Hi Guys,

I didn't have a cell phone when my AN started either.  And it's my left ear, and I'm right handed so I mostly  listen with my right ear (all the time now!)  Anyway, everything electronical gives off some sort of small dose of radiation I guess.  But I would suppose that AN's aren't something that's only been around since electrical gadgets.  This may be a study that can never happen, I guess.  The question would be are there more AN's now than ever before? Well, yes, I guess because there are more people now than ever before.  ;D But, you know what I mean.  I did just recently read where somebody or other who knew about such things, said the earbuds were probably a safer alternative than having the phone to your ear all the time.  I went over my minutes once and was so angry at myself that I try really hard to not use my cell phone.  It's for emergency or very short calls only.  But I do have cordless phones.  Gawd, civilization will be the death of all of us. 

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

kat

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 05:32:41 am »
Hi everyone

I have not been a heavy cell phone user but I have used and still use a cordless phone at home . My AN is on the right and up to the time when my hearing got poor on that side it was the side that the phone was on .  I have now switched sides and for most of  my longer and overseas telephone calls I use Skype.  Does anyone know what if any effect using Skype might have as opposed to cordless and cell phones ?

Regards Kat   
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

Lorenzo

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 05:35:50 am »
Hi Kat,

I'm not an expert I hasten to say, so don't take this as fact! I imagine that if you're using a phone that has a cord or a headset with Skype, then there wouldn't be any effect. Same as using a normal phone with a cord.

I sure hope so... That's what I'm using on the one good ear I ahve left!  ;D

Ciao, Lorenzo

Denise

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 07:16:38 am »
Hello,
I did not and still do not use my cell phone that much. Also, my AN is was on my left side, I am right handed and when I do use the phone I use my right ear, even before my AN. So I don't think a cell phone had anything to do with my AN.
Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines