Author Topic: Sleepless Nights because of Ear Noise  (Read 3518 times)

robinstwo

Sleepless Nights because of Ear Noise
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:47:52 pm »
I am now 6 weeks out from surgery and was sleeping fairly well.  This week I started having noise like standing in a bell and someone hitting it in my dead ear and it comes in waves.  Happens only at night right now and can't sleep because of it.  Has anyone expierenced this??  Any suggestions????
2.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/15/08
Translab Surgery 8/7/08, Emory Univ Hosp, Atlanta, GA, Dr Olson & Dr Maddox
Face and tounge not working right now.  Speech issues too.

lori67

Re: Sleepless Nights because of Ear Noise
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:16:53 pm »
Hi robinstwo and welcome!

Shortly after my surgery, I started to hear weird noises when I tried to sleep too - more like someone snapping a rubber band in my deaf ear than a bell.  I also heard that same sound anytime the phone rang.  The phone ringing thing just went away on it's own within a few weeks time.  The night time noise seemed to persist a little.  I started taking tylenol pm before bed and seemed to do it for me.  I think it just knocked me out so I didn't notice the noise, but, whatever works, right?

It's mostly gone now, I occasionally hear an electrical type buzzing, just as I'm dozing off.  I think there was a thread on here where someone found it was called "exploding head syndrome".

I think being only 6 weeks post-op, your brain is still adjusting to the changes and I think the noises should stop.  Hopefully, soon!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

robinstwo

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 04:51:23 pm »
Thanks for the idea of Tylenol PM.  I'll have to give it a try.  I have the constant "white" noise in the dead ear.  I wasn,t expecting more "noise" to have to deal with.

In your infinite wisdom, have you heard about anyone dealing with facial numbness getting facial stimulation to try to help muscle tone and did it help any??

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 05:20:57 pm »
Hi robinstwo,

Welcome to this forum, the place to get a lot of information.  I too take Tylenol PM, have been for quite awhile.  I started taking them when I started my depression, the doctor told me that taking Tylenol PM is not addicting.  Good Luck, hope you can get some sleep.....
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:10:24 pm »
Hi Robinstwo!

Welcome - I just sent you a PM...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 06:51:23 pm »
Well, I'm not so sure about that infinite wisdom part... but.... :D

I'm not sure what type of stimulation your talking about.  I know that most facial therapists do not like to use electrical stimulation on us AN patients.  They do have good results from using it with Bell's Palsy patients, but true Bell's Palsy is caused by a virus and not from trauma like our facial issues are.  I think they've found that using electrical stim on us causes more synkinesis.

However, if you're talking about non-electrical stimulation, like massage or something, I've heard of that helping a lot.  I know when the one muscle in my face that actually does tighten up, massaging it can help relieve that tight feeling.  You might find a few more answers if you look under the "facial issues" category.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

robinstwo

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:21:36 am »
Lorie,

I was thinking about electrical stimulation.  You have now given me an idea of why the doc said no to electrical stim.  Thanks!  I'll look into the other.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 02:08:15 pm »
It could be dura fluid drainage issues -with fluid hitting the ear drum when you are horizontal. :-\

Sleep on the non-AN side and see if this changes for you.

We are still not sure why I have this symptom too  :-\  -but I did notice that is less significant when I lay on my NON AN side vs. on the back or the AN side… at night.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 02:17:48 pm »
Soooh.... ;D

How did you sleep last night? Any better?

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 04:16:30 pm »
Hi,

I hope you try a fan or some other white noise in your bedroom, because that often times will help.  Sounds strange to make noise to help with noise in the head, but it sort of evens out things or helps to muffle the head noise.  I just have a constant hiss, but sometimes I get other noises. 

Hope that helps you,

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 04:48:54 pm »

I cannot not stand the sound of fans- since my AN surgery… and consequently spend half my life walking around with a fashion statement of a florescent orange ear plug in my good ear. Air conditioning and or heating systems are the worst – for me anyway.

I have learned something new this month and a new “neurological word� for sensory overload- particularly auditory.

“Hyperacusis�

A link for those of us on auditory overload
What is Hyperacusis?
http://www.hyperacusis.net/hyperacusis/what+is+hyperacusis/default.asp

I know that fans and/or white noise do work for others.  Sadly in my case it makes the tinnitus worse in the dead ear. Some of us come out of AN treatment us with things that are not yet explained … I was so pleased to get a description of my auditory overload. However I would like to know what makes the sounds when I lay down at night too- when I know my house to be very quite… yet the sounds in the dead ear are bizarre! :-\

Gee maybe we should just make up a word… ;) :D

DHM

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 06:13:29 pm »
Well now, Daisy, that's really interesting.  Thanks for the link and information. 

You can go in and have a custom ear plug made for you, if you want.  Then you wouldn't have to wear those orange ones!  I've tried those, but they always pop out of my ear.  I must not have the knack of knowing how to use them, or something.

Thanks again, that was informative!  Maybe you should put this info and link in it's own separate thread.  Others might find this enlightening.

Sue way over here in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 09:47:26 pm »
Well now, Daisy, that's really interesting.  Thanks for the link and information. 

...  Maybe you should put this info and link in it's own separate thread.  Others might find this enlightening.

Sue way over here in Vancouver

There you be  ;D
ta da
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7574.0

DHM

robinstwo

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 08:50:12 am »
DHM,

Sorry for the late reply.  Needed a Florida vacation!  Actually I went back to my home to get clothes and check on stuff.

Thanks for the advise about sleeping on the non AN ear.  I was sleeping on two pillows and found that by sleeping on only one soft pillow reduced most of the extra "noise".  Sleeping on the non-AN ear removed the rest of the occasional extra noise.

Thanks!

Robin