Author Topic: Eye Pain anyone?  (Read 6958 times)

suz

Eye Pain anyone?
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:34:43 am »
I have seen lots of posts  about dry eyes and uncooperative eyelids...I am grateful that I don't have those problems but I have something else going on that I haven't seen discussed. From a few days after my surgery I had really unusual and irritating eye pain that felt like it came from behind the eye and felt like a nerve-pain or extreme eye strain and occurs more often on the side of my surgery, but not always. For the few weeks post-op this occurred after a few hours of using my eyes - so by mid afternoon I had to close my eyes and be in a dark room for awhile to rest them. THis sensation has decreased alot over the past month but still occurs at random times or times when I use my eyes alot. My docs seemed to think this was normal when I asked about it a few days post-op but wondering if anyone else has this symptom in the months post-op and if it is something I will have forever or is it on the way out?
Yesterday it happenned again which brought it to my attention. I guess because I am getting ready to go back to work soon and I use my eyes so much at work I am getting worried about every little symptom! I just can't imagine being half-way through my work day and having this pain happen.
ANyone else have this? What has helped? When did it go away?
Thanks,
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

Cheryl R

Re: Eye Pain anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 12:36:19 pm »
Suz, are you using any eye drops too with this pain?     Not just a tears but a heavier gel.     I am just curious if you have and the pain is from another source.      I have pain from dry eye when had my first surgery and hadn't caught on to the best care but learned that real fast.           One can have eye issues even no facial paralysis as such and over doing the eyes can be hard on them.     So no real answer here for you other than seeing if you are doing some lubrication.               One needs to see an opthalmalogist if need be for maybe an answer.                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

suz

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 07:37:46 pm »
No I haven't used any drops or gel; no dryness so didn't think necessary. Maybe iit would be helpful. Need to talk to my doc soon so will ask him.
Thanks, Cheryl.
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Philadelphia, PA area

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 09:54:37 pm »
Suz, I would buy some anyway and try right away.  They are an over the counter product at every drug store or discount center.    There are several brands and sometimes is trial or error to find what is best for each person.     Some have preservatives which may bother some people with lots of use.   It has not bothered me.           I like Refresh Liquigel as need the stronger gel type product.     there is a tube kind for night time use.    I do not have true dry eye now either but occ things do make it act up.          You can try these and not damage the eye in case of a possible other cause.       Sometimes the eye does not appear dry but over use does cause problems.      It may be of help and this is also the first thing a dr is liable to tell you to try.
      Good luck with how it goes.                                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 08:30:14 am »
Suz,
I have pain behind my eye, its a stabbing pain almost like when my sinuses are acting up.  It is quite painful at times, but I've been taking medications for other head pain and these have helped.  Still not sure why its happening, but has for sure gotten much better over time.  You might want to talk with your Dr again and see if there is something you can take to help with this pain. If its interfering with your daily functions then I feel its a problem.
Hang in there, hopefully its something easy to diagnose.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:11:34 am »
Suz,

I too suffer from eye pain when I'm having a killer headache, the pain lodges behind my eye and I've thought it's cause by the occipital neuralgia.  The pain can be quite sharp, the combination of eye pain, headache and facial pain can send me to my bed.  I find I loose my concentration when I have the eye pain and the ability to focus properly. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

yardtick

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 09:16:25 am »
PS Like Cindy I am on medication for nerve pain.  I have tried them all and at the moment I am on Lyrica for trigeminal neuralgia and for occipital neuralgia.  I have had more success with this medication, but as I posted on another I feel no medication truly takes nerve pain away. 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 10:22:30 am »
Anne Marie,
Totally agree with your PS, but the medication does help me function as did the occipital nerve blocks...love those things!
Liz
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

yardtick

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:29:54 pm »
Me too Liz, I am functioning way more now thanks to Lyrica.  Sometimes I think it is natural to want a magic pill or injection to relieve all the pain, for me that never happened.  I guess I'm trying to be more realistic these days, but than again I do have med's for break through pain. 

Gosh I guess I have finally made it into adulthood at the age of 50!!!  I'm a realist now and not an optimist, one of the wonders of AN and all its adventures!

Anne Marie   
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

suz

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 09:00:58 pm »
Well I am just so relieved to know that I am not alone with this! It is an extremely annoying sensation - like nothing I have felt before. Thanks for the feedback  and suggestions. Wondering if your eye pain is brought on by anything in particular or if it is random? I thought mine was caused by using my eyes more but curious about your experiences since you have lived with this for longer.
Suz
Philadelphia, PA area

Lizard

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 12:34:10 pm »
Suz,
I get the "sensation" you are talking about, very strange and not like any other headaches I've had prior to the AN.  And no you are not alone, if there is a side affect you can almost be certain there is someone else on this forum going through the same thing.

Anne Marie,
The only thing I don't have is meds for breakthrough, I'm currently taking my expired fiorcet, but getting to the end of that supply, ugh.  I've never been an optimist, mostly a pessimist, but I do agree that I've taken on the realist attitude in the wake of this AN.  And trying to stay positive can be difficult, but it is necessary!  My husband has been beating it into me for a while now, and its finally starting to sink in (I think).

Liz

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

yardtick

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:21:40 pm »
Liz,

I'm taking 225 mg Lyrica twice a day for nerve pain, but on days like today and the pain is really up there I have hydromorphone 2 mg.  This afternoon I had to take 4 mg with tylenol every 4-6 hours.  I'm still not feeling the greatest, but I'm not in bed so that is a good thing.  I did have to lay down early tonight for an hour just to breathe deeply, I find that helps me mentally.

Suz,

For me when my eye starts to have those zappers, it is an indication I'm going to have a major headache.  Do I listen to my body?  No of course not!!!  I woke up today with the eye zappers and a very sore face on the side I have a facial neuroma.  It's been a long day!!!!!!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

Mark241

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 12:20:22 am »
Hi Suz, I also would get some pain behind my eye, not bad enough to take med's though. My Doc's didnt worry too much about it, the nerves are in fairly close proximity of each other, normal swelling post op can sort of place pressure on the optic nerve, untill the swelling goes down and the nerve relaxes. Still run it past your doc. Good luck to you.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w