Author Topic: Facial Treatment Question/Botox  (Read 3712 times)

Susie

Facial Treatment Question/Botox
« on: August 03, 2010, 02:07:08 pm »
I haven't posted in a long time. Brief history......GK in June 2007; Significant facial paralysis with onset Sept 2007; Some facial movement return in Dec 2007; Began neuromuscular facial re-training and vestibular rehab in Dec 2007 with Gaye Cronin at the Atlanta Ear Clinic. Things appear to have reached a "plateau" with my facial movement and I am beginning the quest for surgery (or other procedure) to regain my facial function. I have had a web consultation via Skype with Dr. Tessa Hadlock at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary at Harvard. She has recommended Chemodenervation therapy with Botox for hypertonicity and for contralateral lower lip weakening as a starting point. If I respond in a favorable manner to the Botox, then a Platysmectomy can be performed to make the effects of the Botox permanent. As a final option, she recommended a muscle transfer that she really didn't go into detail about in her report. I guess that the Botox and platysmectomy are a more "conservative"approach to begin with. I feel overwhelmed and need advice. I have sent a message "amymeri" on this site b/c she mentioned receiving treatments similar to what has been recommended for me, but she hasn't replied. Does anyone know her status?
Thanks.....
Gamma Knife 6/2007
Right sided facial paralysis 9/2007
Right sided deafness
Oticon Ponto Pro Power 9/2011
Appt at MEEI 10/2011
Psalm 121

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Facial Treatment Question/Botox
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:53:14 am »
Hi Susie:  I'm not online as often but I haven't seen that amymeri has posted lately..   
I had the T3 surgery, the transfer the tendon,  I didn't have any muscle transfers.
I hope the botox works for you since you do have some movement !
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 12:09:16 pm »
Hi Susie.

No info on amymeri, but Moe just had a muscle transfer procedure done so she could most likely give you some insider info on that.

Good luck to you!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jilljpower

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 10:36:18 am »
Hello,
I am post surgery 13mnths and have facial paralysis.  Believe it or not, the eye plastic surgeon who did my eyelid gold weight, gave me botox in my forehead.  It really helps me to look more symmetrical and I am happy with it.  He said that putting botox in the mouth area is risky because you may have no movement at all in your face.  I was hopeful that maybe botox would help with my mouth symmetry, but I understand why he thinks it is not a good option. 

So, far I am really happy with what has been done to help my paralysis.  I have an appt with a Dr who is a plastic surgeon specializing in facial nerves.  I am interested in the T3 to help my smile.  I think it sounds like a great option.

Good luck with your botox procedure and therapy.
Jill
4cm AN, debulked 6/22/09 Redwood City, CA Kaiser.  1 gram platinum gold weight in eyelid.  Nerve intact, but full facial paralysis.  Cross Facial Nerve Graft- 2step process 11/2011 and 7/2012.  Try blogging, it has been great therapy for me.  www.jilljoyousjourney.blogspot.c