Author Topic: The Race to Recovery  (Read 14442 times)

LADavid

The Race to Recovery
« on: May 11, 2008, 11:01:47 am »
Wow, what a week!  Three ANs and more to come.  I finally got around to doing some needed things this week as well.  On Thursday I started physical therapy with Theresa England -- first to get rid of the synkinesis and secondly to get my face back.  I'm in it for the long haul but I am anxious to get back in front of a camera (except for the 6AM call times and auditions).

And yesterday was my first big step (actually a lot of them).  My daughter and I ran the Revlon Run for the Cure 5K.  We even beat last year's time finishing in 32 minutes -- 3 minutes faster than last year.  The event was held at USC at the Coliseum starting out on a street in front of the campus -- I'm guessing about 30-40,000 runners/walkers.  Tom Selleck started the race with a six-shooter -- what happened to the Magnum?  Of course my daughter fell in love with him.  We were up near the start.  I had no problems until I entered the darkness of the tunnel going into the finish at the Coliseum.  Whoa!  That was really disorienting.  It looked like the runners in front of me were running toward me.  It lasted until we broke out of the tunnel -- then we sprinted to the mid-field finish line.

Now for you newbies and recent posties I want to pass this along because you probably didn't see it.  Late in January of this year, I tried to run a few steps.  It felt like my brain was loose in my head -- like they forgot to reattach it after surgery.  I actually thought my running days were over.  Fast forward to yesterday -- I'm back to my running self.  Yes I still have balance issues -- there are good steady days and there are those pesky drunken pirate on the deck of a rolling ship days -- but I am seeing the improvement.  Things do get better -- it just takes time and patience.

Now if I can figure out how to do it, I'll post a picture of my daughter and me after the race in another post.

To all you moms -- Happy Mother's Day.  And to everyone else -- Happy Sunday.

David (back to running)
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Re: The Race to Recovery
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 11:06:27 am »
Good Going David!!!!!!!!!! javascript:void(0); That is inspirational after the 2 dizziest days of my life and I am pretreatment. I did start up my balance exercises, so you gave me the incentive I needed!

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 11:06:55 am »
oops, sorry about the yellow
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 11:30:45 am »
Congratulations David!!!  It must have felt good to cross the finish line.  And you even beat last year's time.  I think running does help with balance if you are able to do it.  So when's the next race?

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

LADavid

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 11:42:19 am »
Hey Jean

I always try to run a 10K on July 4th -- going back my Peachtree Roadrace days.  So I'll be looking for one around here.  Don't know that my daughter will join me -- but I'm going to make an effort.

BTW -- as to be expected -- when I shared the race picture with my family back east -- they commented that I looked fine and thought that I might be a bit lazy about going back to work.  Of course they couldn't see from the picture that half my grin doesn't go away when I stop smiling and that my head spins off balance for no reason and that I talk funny -- all those little things that they don't see until they see me in person.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 11:42:42 am »
Ok David... I'm going to do the unthinkable... I'm going to make every attempt to make you blush!  :o

It is my understanding that The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, an Oscar statuette, is given to an "individual in the motion picture industry whose humanitarian efforts have brought credit to the industry."   Now.... I know you haven't been on this site long.... and I know your road has been most difficult, esp. in light of what you have endured post AN surgery..... but.... I recognize your truly unconditional desire to be able to help those around you, in light of issues you endure.  I recognize in you the need to give back when others try to give to you.  Your unselfish desire to be able to help others in need..... when you are enduring work issues, face issues, etc.... just simply floors me. Congratulations to you and your daughter for a job well done in the fundraiser walk... and, in light of you being an official member of the PBW for a very short period of time... and your willingness to share with others here, regardless if positive or not-so-good...... and to help others around you.... me thinks we should make sure you receive the Jean Hersholt Humantarian award.  You have my vote! :)

Congrats to you both!

(btw, I'm doing a 6k local Breast cancer walk next weekend.... want to loan me your legs?  My 3 legs (which includes my cane) could use the added boost!)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 12:34:23 pm »
You ANA folks are SO awesome!
I did a 5 k arbor run walk ... and then went for a 2 hour cycle on the beach with the family a couple weekend backs. Happy to be alive this mother's day... and to be with hubby & kids ...

To all you petrified newbies out there HEALING DOES HAPPEN ... but you have to work at it.
Keep moving forward!

HUGS & Kisses to David   :-* :-* ;) (Now he is blushing Phyl) and thanks for posting your successes. And even if some days you do not have successes still keep posting- we are here for you.

Daisy Head Mazy
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 12:48:13 pm »
Yay, David.  So happy your race was successful.  (PS, my son is named David..)  I second your nomination, by the way.  And Tom Selleck.  Oh, gosh, I was a huge Magnum PI fan.  He made me swoon! 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 02:35:41 pm »
Aw pshaw, Phyl.  Thank you for the kind words.  Since it's Mothers's Day, it would do my mom proud to know that her son was thought of as a humanitarian -- I got what I have of it from her.

Good luck on your 6K.  And with your cane.  Mine is still next to the front door for those bad days.  Yesterday was a very good day.  Except for that tunnel thing -- that was really strange.  Sort of like some surreal movie.

And Daisy thank you for the hugs and kisses -- but no blush -- it doesn't play well in my business.

And Sue.  I worked with Tom before on his sitcom called The Closer back in the 90's.  He is pretty impressive and a nice person too.  You picked a good guy to swoon over.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 03:31:57 pm »
Hi, David:

Congratulations on successfully participating in the 'Run for the Cure' 5 k race!  It sounds as if both father and daughter had a great time and even bettered your old record.  Well done!  :)

While excellent surgical outcomes and rapid recovery stories are inspiring, your slower-than-you-like but continuous recuperation, the ability to regain your normal balance and eventual control of your facial muscles (as you run races) serve as a clear illustration of triumph over adversity, AN-style.  Your experience, attitude and accomplishments since your surgery, added to those of others that post here, provide encouragement for AN patients that may be struggling with post-op/radiation issues, as you have.

Thanks for the update, David.  Along with many others, I wish you complete success with your physical therapy.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 03:37:03 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 04:34:21 pm »
I'm gonna push it a little this week too ... taking the Kayak out after dark ...  :o Tues ... stay tuned....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 05:50:12 pm »
HI David - 

You are such a Rock Star!  I am sending you a big cyber hug.  Thanks for sharing this with us - you actually made my good eye tear up. 

I am in awe. 

Debbi - at a loss for words...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 07:04:12 pm »
OMG, David!   Did you say Tom Selleck  :o

If I had only known that he would be at the race I would have laced up my running shoes and joined you and your daughter! 

I had a huge crush on Tom Selleck in college - watched Magnum PI religiously - even skipped the bars the nights he was on TV, so you know it was serious LOL  I was crushed when he married Jilly Mack - nothing personal, Jilly  ;)

Congratulations on your new record - and on just being able to run a race post AN - a very big accomplishment!

Oh, and you definitely have my vote for the award.  Put me down as a "yes", Phyl.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 07:31:03 pm »
Joef,

Wow you are living on the wild side!  :D ;)  Night time kayaking huh?  :-\ Be sure to wear your life jacket and take a fishing pole... no flashlight fishing though you well get into do de doo.

Now I have done the cycling with no hands challenge I want to get back on a horse... but the problem is, unlike a bicycle or kayak, the horse is the one control and that freaks me...

Have fun and keep us posted.

Daisy Head Mazy
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 08:18:21 pm »
David,

Are you able to share a picture of the awesome event? 

What a milestone! I am glad for you.  Your daughter must have been proud too! (that is if she wasn't giving all of her attention to  Tom:-)

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/