Author Topic: Another AN celebrity  (Read 14821 times)

Joe B

Re: Another AN celebrity
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 06:49:12 pm »
I do remember the group TLC. I wouldn't be able to name a single song of theirs, but I recognize the groups name.

My wife pointed out the article to me Saturday night when she was reading through the magazine (just getting caught up on the site).

My only thought was:  "Grapefruit size AN"?  Is that even possible, to have an AN get that large before anything is done for the poor girl, or is the media getting carried away with their story (maybe they added the "fruit" part and it was only supposed to say "grape" sized AN)?

I am still somewhat new to the whole AN thing and this site (surgery 4 months ago), but the largest AN I recall reading about was tangerine size. Living in Florida and having a grapefruit tree in my backyard, I have a pretty good idea how big a grapefruit is. Also, my AN was considered "large" on the AN scale (2.9 cm, golfball size at best), what category does grapefruit fit under? ???

Joe B
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

lori67

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 07:12:30 pm »
I think grapefruit size fits into the "HOLY SMOKES!" category!   :o

Joe, I thought the same thing - how would that even fit inside someone's head?  Makes me glad I only had a golf ball.

Lori
p.s.  Does MTV even play music videos anymore?
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 07:25:35 pm »
My only thought was:  "Grapefruit size AN"?  Is that even possible, to have an AN get that large before anything is done for the poor girl, or is the media getting carried away with their story (maybe they added the "fruit" part and it was only supposed to say "grape" sized AN)?
I'm very glad someone else pointed this out.  I wanted to ask the same, but forgot to do so in my post.  When I think of grapefruit I think of something as large as a softball.  I have a pretty big noggin and I'm pretty certain a grapefruit would NOT fit in that area, at least not while I was alive!  Me thinks the press may have taken something out of context or added just spun the story a bit larger to make it more compelling! 
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 07:37:53 pm »
I'm very glad someone else pointed this out.  I wanted to ask the same, but forgot to do so in my post.  When I think of grapefruit I think of something as large as a softball.  I have a pretty big noggin and I'm pretty certain a grapefruit would NOT fit in that area, at least not while I was alive!  Me thinks the press may have taken something out of context or added just spun the story a bit larger to make it more compelling! 

we have had users here on the forums with  AN's approx 5cm and I believe, the largest we have logged on the forums belonged to Satman with an 8cm (yes folks, you read that right... 8cm) AN.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 09:36:53 pm »
For all you TV watchers, she was also on the last "Celebrity Apprentice"

You know, this is one show that I have watched recently - I think The Donald is such a hoot!  Anyway, I recall seeing her on it - although she didn't last long.

As for TLC's music, I haven't heard any of it - just not my style.  Yes, joef, MTV does still exist.  My kids watch it from time to time.

Phyl -

I think you're right - Satman holds the forum record @ 8 cm  :o

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 08:47:53 am »
I think they exaggerated the "grapefruit sized" AN but I'm curious. (Though it could have been a small grapefruit I suppose, shriveled and dehydrated)
We all know how the press/TV/tabloids are........

Gonna go get that magazine before it goes off the shelf!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 01:05:21 pm »
You know, I thought the same thing. Grapefruit?   I just drew out an 8cm circle.  That looks like a small orange to me, and that seems an impossible size to fit in there.  No matter the size, it sounds like she had a tough go of it.  Poor thing.  Glad she is better.

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 02:24:56 pm »
I did not know anything about TLC (except The Learning Channel  :D), but I did a quick Google on "T-boz TLC brain tumor" and came up with a number of sites.  As with many news releases, no one article is probably 100% accurate, but it does seem to be accurate that she had a large AN, surgically removed in LA, and has some residual after effects ..... mainly headaches and facial weakness.  For anyone interested, try http://tvoneblogs.com/thespin/?p=4781

Apparently she is well enough to return to the stage next week, so we can all rejoice in another AN success story.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 03:03:17 pm »
Clarice ~

Thanks for the link.  I still don't know much about this young woman's music (and doubt I ever will) but the TV One story certainly filled me in.  I've  learned (from other websites) that Ms. Watkins has parlayed her music career into other areas (acting, a clothing line) and seems to be a woman of substance.  Although I think the 'grapefruit-size AN' stuff is pure hyperbole (or a total misunderstanding of acoustic neuromas) but whatever the actual size of Ms. Watkins' AN, she got through the surgery and is apparently returning back to performing, which is impressive. 

I assume that I did see her on The Celebrity Apprentice (a guilty pleasure now growing tiresome - I liked it much better with 'real' people striving for a $250,000.-per-year job) but I only barely recall her, although she must have been in pretty good shape for no one to notice any deficits.  Her sickle cell anemia must be an impediment (fatigue factor) to her full recovery but I'm pleased to learn Ms. Watkins is doing well and, by 'going public' with her AN experience, may help the public awareness of acoustic neuromas and their impact on the patients quality of life, pre- and post surgery/radiation.  So, kudos to 'T-Bone' Watkins.     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 07:32:04 am »
Thanks for the link, Clarice.  Very informative. 

I think the "grapefruit" size is a little exaggerated, but it's great that she came through her AN journey without too many problems. 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 08:50:47 am »
I read the article from the PEOPLE magazine yesterday, and then put the magazine back on the rack!  A quick 1.5 page article.
She is apparently suffering bad headaches and facial weakness. Not good for the stardom factor.
Her surgery according to the article was about 6-8 hours?
So lots of incongruencies. We know!
Large grapefruit size tumor=12-15 hour surgery at least!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lori67

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 09:52:41 am »
Maybe grapefruits are smaller where she comes from!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

TP

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 06:19:11 pm »
I just finished reading the article in People. She is a beautiful women and really looks great in particular if she had a grapefruit size tumor. I live in Florida and we grow our grapefruits big. She said when she awoke she could hear so I wonder how they were able to save her hearing in particular if she had a grapefruit size tumor. I watched Celebrity Apprentice and all I recall about her was that she was not a happy looking person which explains now since she was not able to smile. I am impressed she is able to sing. If she has facial paralysis I wonder if she lost her fluid on that side of her face as well (I have no tears, nose on that side is always dry, and mouth on the AN side does not produce saliva). That is really tough to sing, especially at her level if you have dry mouth all the time.

I am very happy she gave God the glory in helping her in surgery as well as her recovery.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 10:11:36 pm »
I agree with you all as well.  Working in the OR, and seeing inside a brain, has it's advantages, and I don't think hardly any people with a grapefruit size tumor would be living to tell about it. Our carotid arteries, jugular veins, and brainstem are just 3 of many life-sustaining parts in that area that would be smooshed to the extent of death - just an educated guess here.   Maybe People magazine meant size of a grape, and just threw fruit in there for giggles.  hee hee.

Regardless, I am glad she is recovering and hopefully can continue with her career in music.

Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 10:12:25 pm »
I haven't read the article in People, but I agree that the more we hear about this, "grapefruit" has to be stretching the truth.

My AN was nowhere near grapefruit size (was about 3 cm) and my surgery only took 7 1/2 hours.  Plus the link Clarice gave us says something about additional measures being taken during surgery due to T-Boz's sickle cell condition.  All in all, I think her surgery would have been much longer.

But, regardless of the size of her AN, I'm glad she's done so well and I agree with TP.  She is a beautiful woman.

I also think it's great that she was willing to share her medical story with the public.  As we all know, lots of celebrities are hesitant to do so.

Jan