Author Topic: Another AN celebrity  (Read 14817 times)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Another AN celebrity
« on: October 03, 2009, 05:11:45 pm »
Just popping in from a long haitus...

This week's People magazine, with the Travolta's on the cover, has an article on page 107 about surgery T-boz of TLC had on November 7, 2006, by Dr. Rick Friedman for a "grapefruit" sized AN.  She's finally ready to talk about it now.  Since no one has posted about it yet, thought you all might want to know.  Great story, run out and get your People's now! 

dropping back out into anonymoty now....
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Kaybo

Re: Another AN celebrity
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 06:34:07 pm »
I just saw something about that but who is she??

K ???
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 06:53:49 pm »
She's a very pretty lady, the one with the deeper voice...  I think she also has sickle cell (?)  & has had a lot to deal with with that disease also.
Did all go well for her with the surgery ??
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 11:11:10 am »
Wow!  I had no idea - haven't read People in years; my subscription got too costly  >:(

Anyway, I'm glad we have another celebrity in our midst and I hope it will serve to educate people about ANs.  As we're all well aware, the general public has no idea what one is - and most of us didn't either until we were diagnosed with one.

I wonder if the ANA could get her to be the keynote speaker at the 2011 ANA Symposium?  Phyl, you should mention this to "the powers that be".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 12:27:56 pm »
Ok, I'm with Kay... I have no idea who she is....  If she's not on the Disney Channel or a contestant on Survivor, I wouldn't know her if I tripped over her.

But, maybe another celebrity in our midst will be nice.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 01:42:22 pm »
Kaybo and Lori -

I don't claim to be any kind of expert on TLC - heck, I'm a parrothead  ;D - I just have a vague idea of who they were.

But here's a little more about them - I snagged this off of Wikipedia.

"TLC is a four-time[1] Grammy Award-winning American R&B and hip hop group, consisting of Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins, Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, and Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas.

Billboard magazine ranked the group as one of the greatest musical trios of all time.[2] They have had several #1 hit singles, including "Creep", "Waterfalls", "No Scrubs", and "Unpretty". According to the RIAA and Billboard, TLC has sold more than 40 million records in the United States, making them the biggest selling girl group of all time.[3] In 2008, the group was inducted into the All Time Hot 100 Artist Hall of Fame by Billboard, at 56th place.[4]

Their second album, CrazySexyCool (1994), was the first album by a female group to be awarded diamond certification by the RIAA, for selling over 11 million copies in the USA.[5]

In early 2002, just before the release of TLC's fourth album, 3D, Lopes was killed in a car accident in Honduras. Watkins and Thomas promoted 3D as a duo, and in 2005, hosted a reality television show, R U the Girl, with a grand prize of a chance to record a song and perform once in concert with the surviving group members, both of whom have released solo material and continued to collaborate occasionally."

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 02:38:26 pm »
Jan/Kay ~

This thread makes me conflicted, to wit:

I'm sorry the young lady, 'T-boz' Watkins, had an acoustic neuroma. 

I'm glad she's apparently recovered nicely. 

I have absolutely no earthly idea who TLC  is and for a Grammy-winning group, "one of the greatest musical trios of all time" no less, I feel as if I should at least have a clue.   

Unfortunately, I'm way past the marketing demographic for this no-doubt talented hip-hop group, and my pop music tastes don't extend to hip-hop and rap music.  Besides, I read that the Andrews Sisters, who were popular about the time I was born, were the biggest-selling female musical trio of all time (100 million records sold, 46 top-ten hits plus numerous movie & TV appearances, etc).  As for TLC being 'one of the greatest musical trios of all time', that smacks of being a purely subjective conclusion - and probably a bit of hyperbole from Billboard, a show-biz magazine that once gave me a small award back in my D.J. days, proving that their judgment isn't always sound. 

All that aside, I'm pleased that acoustic neuromas are being mentioned in a national publication and I hope this fosters greater public awareness of ANs, whether I happen to be familiar with T-boz Watkins, or not. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 05:52:10 pm »
OK...dumb blonde/naivety...I thought "TLC" was The Learning Channel and wondered what show she was on...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 06:10:43 pm »
Same here Kay...TLC...The Learning Channel....
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 06:17:49 pm »
Ok, I'm with Kay... I have no idea who she is....  If she's not on the Disney Channel or a contestant on Survivor, I wouldn't know her if I tripped over her.

But, maybe another celebrity in our midst will be nice.

Lori

:D  We must get the same channels, ha ha ha
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

lori67

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 06:49:17 pm »
Ah.... okay.. I was thinking The Learning Channel too.  Now I know who you mean.  Guess I had a blonde moment.  Wait, I don't even have blonde hair... ???  I think Kay is rubbing off on me.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 01:33:26 pm »
I guess none of us are MTV generations anymore...  :-X myself included... 30+ years ago when MTV started... thats all I watched... today, I'm not even sure in my cable carries it !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 01:44:37 pm »
I actually enjoy TLC's music and have for a long time. They won terrific accolades for "Waterfall" and was a shame when "left-eye" Lisa died.  I remember when she burned down Andre Riesen's house/mansion in Atlanta... what a mess.

I saw the People article on 'T-Boz" Tionne.  Seems her's was very very large... sounds like there is facial paralysis left as she now cannot smile.  I know her bout with Sickle Cell was also a major factor post-surgery, but from her AN surgery, it sounds like it was a tough one.

I send her wellness wishes. She is suppose to do a benefit with Justin Timberlake next weekend and wish her success in her "comeback", post AN surgery.   Looking forward to new music from her and Chilli.  They have an amazing sound... and "T-Boz" is known for her very unique voice.

And all of this from someone pushing 1/2 century mark. Not bad, eh? :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 02:02:54 pm »
They won terrific accolades for "Waterfall"...
A great song IMO, very powerful lyrics.

Not bad Phyl, not bad at all!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 04:54:01 pm »
Running back in and out, once more for clarification  ;)

For all you TV watchers, she was also on the last "Celebrity Apprentice", and made an appearance recently on "The Real Housewives of Atlanta", as the newest housewife, Kandi, is the songwriter for TLC's "No Scrubs", and a good friend.  Hopefully that helps her recognition factor a little.  I'm not a big fan of that kind of music, but TLC was the exception to that rule.  I really like "Waterfall" and "Unpretty".   DR, you are right, very powerful lyrics.  Jim, I agree, I was very pleasantly surprised to read of another "coming out" if you will, of an AN survivor, and to be able to follow her progress like we can with Mark Ruffalo is an inspiration to us all that there is life after AN's, and that having a brain tumor is not a thing to be ashamed of.  When I poked my head and didn't see anyone talking about it, I wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to take a look this week before the copy disappears on Wednesday. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar