Author Topic: Possibility in a 19 y/o Marine with an IAC?  (Read 2727 times)

Herm0341

Possibility in a 19 y/o Marine with an IAC?
« on: January 25, 2016, 11:11:45 pm »
Hello everyone,

My name is Dave, and I am currently elisted in the United States Marine Corps and had a few questions on where I stand with the position I am in.  I need help.  I resorted to this website for its wealth in knoweldge in the subject, but I am new to this whole community and such.

For staters, as standard, we Marines must pass a basic audiology test I believe semi-annually, however, this informtion is not relevant.  Pertaining to my situation, I am currently deployed and failed our hearing test 5 times consecutively.  I recently took a trip to the hospital to meet with an audiologist to discuss what the damage is.  As I am not familiar with my hearing loss statistically, I was told it was very significant for someone my age.  I am a mortarman, and typically work on the gun, therefore exposing me to very loud blasts multiplie times in a short amount of time or prolonged time exposure.  I have been in this field since March. 

Further, my audiologist wanted to schedule an immediate MRI to check for an IAC, here is where I worry.  Im trying not to think of the worst case scenario until I have a full diagnosis, but I figured I would come here to talk about my situation as I am sort of left in the dark as of now.  I suffer from very bad ringing in my ears (tinnitus) spellcheck? for the last 6 months to the point where I have trouble falling asleep.  Irt is only asymmetrical (right ear) and causes my balance to be off when I get up too fast/ dizziness.  My vitals/blood pressure are very healthy though.  The progression of the pain has increased over a short amount of time and has only gotten worse, though I have not been at a mortar shoot in 3-4 months.  Maybe unrelated, I have had nose bleeds pretty heavily recently in both nostrils, which has never occured, who knows? maybe I am just stressed out.  My ear feels full most of the time and I find in more difficult to smile on the right side of my face if that makes sense, as in, it seems like it takes more effort for my muslces to do so, at least it feels that way.

In closing, I am aware that I will need a diagnosis with experts to getting a final call on what it is, but I don't know, I'm not too sure how to feel or what to make of it.  ANY insight or thoughts would be greatly appreicated!  :)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Possibility in a 19 y/o Marine with an IAC?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 07:30:28 am »
Hi Dave and welcome to this forum .....

Your symptoms are similar to many of us with diagnosed acoustic neuroma.  However, bear in mind there are many other possibilities for these same symptoms.

It is important that you have an MRI with contrast soon to determine if an AN is the cause of your symptoms.  Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Re: Possibility in a 19 y/o Marine with an IAC?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:47:03 am »
Dave,

As usual, Clarice is the smartest lady in the room...great advice.

Here’s a little insight. I’m retired Air Force; twenty years worth. I spent my career around fighters so when I went to the hospital and complained about hearing loss, the natural respond from the medical types was to blame it on the jet engineer noise and my irresponsible behavior; they accused of not hearing protection which was patently false.

Along with what Clarice said (MRI w/Contrast), you should also see an ENT (Ear, Noise and Throat) Doctor (was probably the audiologies you saw). In the civilian world, they work closely with the neurology types when it comes to AN’s, which is probably true on the military side. In the meantime take a breath and relax...at least as much as you can in Corp.

Take Care  ;)

Doc
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:50:45 am by Doc »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.