Author Topic: Should I be Concerned w Noises in Head  (Read 4769 times)

JulieE

Should I be Concerned w Noises in Head
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:06:38 am »
Well, just after I conclude that I am out of the woods, and it is just a matter of time 'till I'm fully recovered -I have had an issue that I passed off as "Wow, that's unusual, but as there are no other symptoms, I'll let it ride...".  Maybe two weeks after my neurosureon says I don't need to come back for a year I get woken up by this zapping sound in my head - loud - in the translab side:  sort of like a Tesla Coil.  I waited awake to ensure I just didn't dream it, listened carefully to it, and concluded it was synapses that were giving their best effort to re- connect.  No problem since.  Then today, I was sqautting reading something for too long, and when I got up I had a head rush that about leveled me with a cow bell clanging in that ear.  I became afraid, and came here as a first resort because I wanted to see if this was common, or how I should put it to my neuro-otologist so that he doesn't think I'm just highly imaginative.  Also, I have seen in a thread about having an Internist, and I am wondering exactly what they do? 
Thanks,
Julie

Tumbleweed

Re: Should I be Concerned w Noises in Head
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 10:35:49 am »
Julie, FWIW, I would talk with or email your neurosurgeon about this. In my experience, otoneurologists aren't too informed when it comes to post-surgery symptoms. Why would they be? They don't do surgery.

Your neurosurgeon has probably seen these symptoms before in other patients and can tell you if and when they will likely abate or disappear and if it's cause for alarm. On the other hand, they might not have seen these symptoms before and might ask you to come in for some neurological tests. In any case, I think it's always a good idea to go as far up the food chain (to the experts at the top of the field) as you can to get answers to these types of highly specific and unusual symptoms.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 10:57:59 am »
Neurotologists do do AN surgery.     At the Univ of Iowa that is the AN and cochlear implant surgeons.     The head of dept does the tumor removal and the current "Fellow" of neurotology does the open and shut of the surgery.                   
I  just got a copy of the 2008 US News and World report and they are the 2nd best in the Ear,Nose and Throat rating.    Johns Hopkins is first and Pittsburg is 3rd.              I think Mayo is 6th.
They were rated like  this last year and possibly before.
    I am thinking you are ok Julie as there can be some weird goings on post op.      The squatting activity esp should not be done soon.     I would ask your dr if you are concerned.           
                                                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 11:20:47 am »
hello julie, there was a thread some weeks ago about "zapping/electric" sound - i cannot remember the title of the thread but some of us had experienced this. For me the sound was accompanied with a flash of light in my eyes and is triggered by a slight noise or laying down.  After post-op, i had this almost everyday, but now it is reduced to just once a week event.  But again, each experience and symptoms varies, your doctor should be able to give you a more directive answer.  Do keep us posted and wish you a speedy recovery!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 11:23:01 am »
I will make an addition to my talk about neurotologists.    The Fellows who have assisted with my 4 NF2 surgeries have gone on to other known universities.     My 2001 Fellow was Ravi Samy who is now at Cinncinnati and talked last year at the AN symposium.               My 2006 Fellow was Pamela Roehm and who is at NYU.       I forgot to ask my latest one who will have just left andwho was a very good dr also.               Iowa does 60 plus ANs yearly and 60 or more cochlear implants yearly.
I was wrong about Mayo.    They were rated 8th.
   Enough of my plug.      Everyone has to choose where to go that works best for them.
                                            Cheryl R  
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 12:13:09 pm »
I would talk with or email your neurosurgeon about this. In my experience, otoneurologists aren't too informed when it comes to post-surgery symptoms. Why would they be? They don't do surgery.

Sorry, Tumbleweed, this is TOTALLY not true!  My surgery was performed by a neurosurgeon and a neurotologist - and while both of them saw me post op in the hospital - once I was discharged I have dealt strictly with my neurotologist.   My neurotologist also performed my BAHA surgery.

Anyway, Julie, from reading other posts on this forum what you are experiencing is common -  I didn't experience this, but others have.  If you are concerned about it I would definitely check with your doctor.

Best wishes,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 02:59:41 pm »
Obviously I was mistaken. Sorry for my misconception. My opinion was based on my otoneurologist, who doesn't do surgery and was relatively uninformed about such issues. I guess some otoneurologists have wider skill sets than others.

Sorry,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

swiftie55

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »
Hi Julie--chris here from the uk---i am waiting for confirmation to have Ck--but i get the same type of 'shock/whooshing' noise in my head-- especially when i lie down. They are a little scary--i thought they might be leading to a stroke or simmilar--but i was told these things happen in the AN world!--No too helpfull--but you are not alone--kind regards--chris-england. :)

JulieW4

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 08:40:10 pm »
Yes, I just wanted to confirm what Jan said when it comes to which doctor does the follow-up care after surgery.  It my neurotologist who found the AN and who I did all my pre-op testing with such as the balance testing.  Also, I saw my neurotologist first after I was home from surgery and will do most of my follow-up care, such as follow up MRI's.   My neurosurgeon I have seen once but he even said to call my neurotologist if I had questions. 

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

JulieE

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 08:28:30 am »
Hi, Thank you everyone for taking the time to convey that I'm not (stereotypically) crazy, nor having an Anurism.  I got a bit paranoid there.  Last night, my husband used the example of computer programs which get an incomplete set of information and fill in the gaps with what it extrapolates should be there...that worked for me. 
Just to clarify: I am not confused about the roles of Neurosurgeon/Neurotologist who is also a surgeon and performed my surgery in tandem- he is, infact, exceptional, and the reason I stayed in Austin.  Obviously I, like Jan, think highly of my team and I didn't want to pester them with silly questions (I have been known to ask off the wall stuff  ::)).  Seeing it is fairly common, alleviated some of my concern, although I will probably pose it to him.  Thank you Tumbleweed, for your reply as you were advising based on what you knew, and is valued as are all the replies.  A reply from the UK even - Go Lewis Hamilton!  I will also avoid head-rushy type activities for sure...
The question about the Internist should have been further removed from this query as I am still interested for non-heady stuff that might crop up...I have gone from self-diagnosis and, say, getting my kids vaccinations in an ultra-scrutinizing manner, to hypochondria - and need someone to humor me!   :D
Have a Good Week,
Jules

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 08:35:11 am »
Does your surgeon have an ENT clinic where one can call to ask questions.   They then can ask a dr if they need to.    Univ of Iowa has a special nurse no that we were given to do so and it has been used by me more than once.                      It does get worrisome when we have what seems like weird noises,tastes and feelings.
                                                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 06:02:45 pm »
Jules -

I think most doctors would rather see you ask about something, than stress about it.  Plus you never know when something you think is minor might be something major.

IMO opinion, there are no silly questions and my doc has confirmed that for me on more than one occasion.  Trust me, I've asked him some pretty wacky stuff and while he's sometimes given me a funny look or rolled his eyes veryslightly when I've ask him things in person, it hasn't prevented him from always telling me to call him if I have questions  :D  God bless the man!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

marymomof3

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 09:25:55 am »
Hi Julie - Every so often I had a crackling noise in my head.  My neuro-otologist told me to hang tight and it would go away.  And soon enough, it did.
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 01:04:18 pm »
Hi Julie-

I didn't have this symptom, so can't offer any help on it.  However, when it comes to emailing questions to your neurotologist, I am somethign of an expert!   ;D  In fact, when I started to have drainage from my incision, I even emailed him pcitures. (Yeah, I know, how gross is that?)   I would think that your neurotologist would probalby be very happy to answer your questions, and would also probably like to know about this symptom. 

Don't worry about asking him (or us) silly questions - there are no such things!

Debbi, big fan of the neurotologists!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 07:18:46 pm »
Debbi, big fan of the neurotologists!

I'm obviously a big fan, too!  Perhaps we should start a fan club?   :D

Jan