Author Topic: It's the little things...  (Read 1691 times)

JHager

It's the little things...
« on: January 14, 2006, 10:28:19 am »
Hey everyone,

Something happened yesterday for the first time since surgery.  Small, seemingly insignificant, but it still brought a mostly-straight smile to my face.  I could whistle!

I happened to catch the preview to the new Superman movie, and the theme song stuck in my head.  Without knowing it, I was wandering around my classroom whistling along.  My colleague in the next classroom poked her head in and said 'So, your face has recovered enough that you can whistle?'

Cool stuff!

Just thought I'd share.  It's such a small thing, but when you're recovering, the small things mean a lot.  The first time your eye blinks, the first tear, the first smile that involves (however slightly) both sides of your mouth, the first meal without food falling out, the first walk down the hall in a mostly straight line - these are good things.  Perhaps in the past we took them for granted, but no longer.  So, celebrate the small stuff!  You're getting better!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: It's the little things...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 10:40:19 am »
That's fantastic news !!!    ;D   
Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Jeanlea

Re: It's the little things...
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 06:12:00 pm »
Josh,

Great news.  I too also am excited by small things now.  I still remember my first walk to the mailbox.  Now I do it easily, even down the snow and ice-covered driveway. 
I was really excited the other day when one of my students told me I blinked!  When no one else said they noticed, I started to wonder.  Turned out she was looking at my good eye.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD