Author Topic: Laura surgery update  (Read 17628 times)

sgerrard

Re: Laura surgery update
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2009, 12:37:25 am »
Well, the first week is usually the worst, if that's any help.  :P

I hope she manages to start eating a bit, and walking a bit. Even if it makes her feel poorly, it will help her recover to the point where she can do those things without feeling poorly. The anesthesia can do a number on the brain, as can the brain surgery, so nothing is really that surprising in her symptoms, as the doctors have said. While some lately have had amazingly quick recoveries, there are plenty of members who have been through the grinder. I'm sorry she is having a tough time, but I'm sure she will get past it soon.

Please give her our best wishes,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2009, 03:03:15 am »
Barbara,
You are an amazing friend.  I am going to reverse my position on Laura's care and say, "Get her out of there!"  I'm starting to think she needs a change of scenery.  My double vision lasted until two days after being home.  Maybe the rehab center will be a breath of fresh air.  I highly recommend getting out of bed whenever possible.  Don't be overstimulated by visual, audio, or psychological input.  Eat, if at all possible, small, frequent nutritional meals.  Fresh fruit and fish pave my road to recovery.
I'll be scanning the journal today and mailing it to her home tomorrow.  It will be there by Friday, and so will she!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

cindyj

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2009, 05:26:57 am »
So sorry to hear Laura had such a bad day - the nausea is the worst.  I had to have two different anti-nausea meds that they rotated and gave me every 2 hours intraveneously.  I ate only very small bites every once in awhile.  But, it should subside a good bit before too long.  I did continue to take the nausea meds for a few days after I was released from the hospital, but it was nowhere near as bad as those first 4-5 days.

Tell her to hang in there, and know that she is on her way to feeling much better very soon!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

tenai98

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2009, 06:17:22 am »
At thw slightest inkling of being nauseated I asked for Gravol intravenously....I did manage to eat on the second day post op...Not that I was hungry but knowing food fueled my body therefore I ate...Four days post op I wanted french fries...which I go....
I was scared to eat without the gravol....Luckily not once did I upchuck....
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Mickey

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2009, 08:47:57 am »
My prayers are with her! May she feel better soon.  Mickey

teffaz

• We read to know we're not alone.
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2009, 01:08:15 pm »
Oh, I am so sorry Laura is having such difficulties!

Barbara, you are exactly the kind of friend everyone in this world needs. I know you are a huge support to Laura. Stay strong for her.

Please let Laura know we are all pulling for her.

Brenda
1.5 cm. x .5 cm AN
translab May 2009
SSD (before surgery as well as after)
grateful for incredible surgeons: Dr. Porter & Dr. Syms
Barrow Neurological Institute; Phoenix

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2009, 01:42:17 pm »
Barbara ~

As always, our thanks for your informative updates on Laura.  Although some AN surgery patients do have seemingly miraculous recoveries with very brief hospital stays, that is really not the norm.  I had an excellent recovery but spent 5 nights in the hospital, including 4 in the ICU, and I had minimal complications.  At a cost of $5,500 per day for the ICU, I'm sure my insurance company wasn't too thrilled.  Me neither.   Nausea, headaches and double vision are fairly common post-op experiences for AN patients.  I didn't have the nausea (but I didn't have much appetite, either) or headaches but I experienced the double vision for a few days.  Fortunately, it resolved by itself, as it often does.  Of course, Laura should try to eat but I have no suggestions on what she should try to eat.  I'll leave that to others more familiar with these situations.  Moving around - walking - is usually very beneficial a few days post-op, as just lying in the hospital bed can have a deleterious effect when the muscles are not used.  But when walking generates nausea, that makes it problematical.  If Laura doesn't eat, she'll be weak but if she eats and walks, she'll likely become nauseous.  I would speculate that Laura might want to attempt to eat just a little then walk just a bit- and hope that her body responds well to this approach.  Moving to a rehabilitation facility (in the hospital) seems to be a good idea but Laura will need to be ambulatory and able to eat enough to keep up her strength.  I trust this will happen.

Your dedication to Laura is notable as well as moving.  Laura is a lucky lady to have you as her friend, Barbra.   Once again, you have our collective appreciation.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:58:47 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2009, 01:56:00 pm »
Barbara,

Thanks so much for keeping us updated.  I can't add much more for Laura than what has already been said, but I will continue to pray for her.  I also want to make sure you are getting the rest that you need.  I'm also worried that this is taking it's toll on you, and hope you are finding enough peace to get some rest.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

lori67

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2009, 04:50:21 pm »
Barbara,

I worked in a hospital that had an acute care rehab and did a long rotation there as a PT.  I think it's a great idea.  It's kindof a middle ground - you're not sick enough to be in the hospital and you really don't need a ton of medical care but you're not quite ready to be turned loose yet.  I'm guessing she won't be there long - it'll just be a matter of getting her strength back to where she can get around safely at home.

I know 3 hours of therapy sounds like a lot, but it's not all at once!  They'll  break it down so she has some in the morning and some in the afternoon - and most of it will probably be just getting her walking again - she won't be pumping iron or running on the treadmill!

Tell her things will get better.

Thanks for the updates! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Lilan

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2009, 05:34:03 pm »
The setbacks and awful nausea are upsetting for sure. But, she had a very large tumor and a long-ish surgery, so it's understandable she's not leaping right out of it. It also seems positive that she seemed to be making good progress in your previous updates. So hopefully it's just a 2 steps forward, 1 step back kind of thing and she will be gaining ground again very soon.

As a student of AN posts, I have noticed that there is not a linear progression upward immediately after surgery, but rather surges and setbacks. Hope this setback is followed by a nice surge forward in the coming days.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

BarbaraS

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2009, 09:05:15 pm »
Hi everyone -

Here are today's (4/21) updates on Laura's progress:

- I am thrilled to report that Laura had a MUCH better day today - hooray! ;D
 - She had a good night's sleep last night, woke up with no headache or nausea, and actually felt like she had a little energy. She developed a mild headache and a little nausea as the day progressed, but she says it's manageable, and still much better than it has been the last few days (especially yesterday!)
 - She ate a good breakfast today - some cream of wheat, some eggs, and a little bit of pancake - and felt good afterwards.
 - As soon as I heard her voice, I was amazed at how much better her pronunciation was today.  She said she has a little more feeling in her tongue and in her lips, and that certainly was evident in her speech - a marked improvement over previous days. 
 - She was able to shower with assistance today.
 - She took two walks around the unit today - one with a walker, and one a few hours later with the assistance of the PT.  She felt good both times. The PT also had her stand without assistance with/without her eyes closed and she did very well.
 - She developed some mild nausea after lunch that has lingered throughout the day, but she said it wasn't bad enough for her to want/need meds.
 - The double vision is a little better today. She turned on the tv for the first time today, and after looking at the screen for a minute, was able to focus enough where she did not have double vision. And she said when she looked away from the screen to try and focus on anything else, the double vision came back. I found that very interesting - amazing how the mind works.
 - The docs gave her some plastic glasses with a small piece of tape over the left eye that she said she was supposed to be wearing to help the double vision. I pointed out to her that she had said "supposed to be," meaning that she wasn't actually wearing the glasses - and she laughed.  I told her that she probably looked really cool in them so she should put them on to impress the staff and visitors. ;)
 - She had her third (and last) iron IV today, and they removed her last IV line today - a good sign!
 - She was going to have tomato soup for dinner (yum!) I am so happy she has has been able to eat today, as is she.
 - Currently, she is still in the neuro unit. Apparently, her insurance company did not approve her rehab today, so she is unsure where she will go tomorrow if it does not get approved. She is going to talk to her doc about it. She would like to be able to spend a couple of days in the rehab unit getting her feet under her a bit more, but she said if she feels as good tomorrow as she did today, it wouldn't be too bad to go home. Her only concern would be if she needed to go to an outpatient rehab, as travel arrangements would be challenging. She was not stressing about it, however. She is just going to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

I am so happy tonight about her progress - and I am so happy to share it with all of you.  Wow - such a change of emotion from last night!

I can't thank you enough for all the kind words and constant support you've shown for Laura - and for me. I was feeling down last night about her setback, and you all offered insights, provided perspective, and lifted my spirits - and hers, and for that I am incredibly grateful. And I am very moved, flattered (and a bit embarrassed) about all of the very sweet things you have said to me about my friendship with Laura. I thank you so much, but I just feel like I am doing what anyone would do for someone they care about. I feel very lucky to have her in my life - she is an amazing person - and she means the world to me. 

Hope everyone has a great night!
Barbara

sgerrard

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2009, 09:31:11 pm »
Oh goodie, I am very happy to hear the good news about Laura.  ;D

It sounds like she has turned the corner. I know they send people home way before it seems like they are ready, but most people find that being home is so great, it is worth it, even if it makes you a little nervous. My dad had a PT come visit him at home several times, which eased his mind and helped with the first few days.

Thanks again for the update, Barbara.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

CFranklin

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2009, 10:47:29 pm »
What wonderful news about Laura's progress today!!  I had a few days of postings to catch up on, and after hearing about her difficult days with challenges of nausea, double vision and lack of appetite, it was wonderful to turn to Barbara's posting with the good news.  What a relief!! It reads like chapters in a book, and I can sense the positive outcome at the end.  I clearly remember that my attitude changed from one day to the next from when I still felt sick in the hospital and then the next day I felt ready to go home.  Mysterious things go on when the body is healing from such trauma. 

Please tell her that the rehab will be advantageous, too, even though it sounds daunting. 

Keep your chin up and your eyes on your future, Laura.  You're doing an awesome job in your recovery.

Carol Franklin
June 2001 retrosigmoid approach for 2 cm AN at Barrows Neurological in Phoenix.  Tinnitus, loss of hearing, still have all my freckles.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2009, 04:22:37 am »
That's the best news!  I've been telling my friends and family about Laura's post-op struggle.  It seems she's made a huge leap forward.
Please let her know that the journal is on its way to welcome her home.
I requested discharge a day earlier than they had planned to release me, and it gave me a boost to normalcy.  I wish the same for Laura.
You've done a wonderful job recording Laura's story; reading other stories is the best preparation for patients who follow.
Thank you.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

tenai98

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2009, 05:09:10 am »
Great news. There is really no place ike home.. I to was afraid to come hom to early, so they kept me in for another 3 days...being Easter Weekend.  I'm no sorry i stayed for the few extra days but really home would have been better. I am glad she is eatin as our bodies need the 'fuel' to recharge itself.  Even thou I wasnt hungry I knew I had to eat.  Then u couldnt keep enough food in front of me....lol...as long as I had food I was happy. I even strolled to th hospital kitchen and got crackers and applesauce.
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7