Author Topic: GK vs Surgery  (Read 5163 times)

Josepe

GK vs Surgery
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:16:04 pm »
I am 54 years old and have just been diagnosed with an AN. The size is relatively small 5mm. Does that make me a better or worse candidate for CK or GK?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: GK vs Surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:25:08 pm »
Hi, Josepe - and welcome to the ANA discussion forums ~

Generally, very small ANs are quite amenable to radiosurgery, be it CyberKnife or GammaKnife.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JWW

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:04:10 am »
Josepe, I am one week and one day post (SRS) Stereotactic Radiosurgery for an AN (1cm x 7 mm x ?) diagnosed this past March. I feel well as if none of this ever happened. I am aware of all the side effects post radiation that everyone has reported on this website. If I did not know what to look for, I would call my symptoms allergy related.

From what I know now, I would say the most important person in helping you make a decision would be the radiation oncologist! Your ENT/neuro or Neurosurgeon would help in the planning/mapping of the radiation, which ever you chose. I would not even consider surgery for an AN unless it is over 2.5 to 3 cm and near the brain stem....why put yourself through that?

It is my understanding, CK, GK and SRS are ALL different....SRS being:Linear accelerator based therapies/ megavoltage X-rays such as The Novalis:

Modern LINACs optimized for radiosurgery applications include the Trilogy machine from Varian Medical Systems, and the Novalis Tx radiosurgery platform, produced by Varian and BrainLAB. Both of these are frameless sterotactic systems which sense patient position.
KEYWORD: FRAMLESS!!!

JW

Josepe

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 06:26:50 pm »
Thank you so much for your replies. It is a lonely feeling to be diagnosed with this tumor.  I appreciate you sharing your experiences. The  Tinnitus started in my right ear 13 years ago. I had an MRI then but nothing showed up. I am hoping it took the full time to grow to such a small size but who knows?
I am seeing my ENT/Neurosurgeon at The Michigan Ear Institute on 8/24/06. With all things being equal, I would prefer the Radiosurgery because of the speed of recovery and because it is minimally invasive but I do worry about being blasted with radiation in such a sensitive area. My tumor is closer to the cochlea.

JWW

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:56:13 pm »
Josepe, my tumor was close to the cochlea too. My radiation oncologist was so brilliant and confident that he came up with "a GREAT plan/mapping to save my cochlea" with the physicist and the ENT/Neuro. He was excited telling me about it and provided alot of reassurance.

My hearing is still excellent and I feel better than ever....my energy level seems higher to me.  8-)

JW

Josepe

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 08:38:30 am »
That is great news JWW!! I am very happy for you. Reassuring for me too. I would settle for my hearing staying the same, ringing and all. I am sure you felt the same way but I just want to get rolling and put this behind me. Thanks and please let me know how your recovery is progressing.

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:16:27 pm »
Hi Josepe,

Just caugt on to your post. I just posted myself an update of my two year MRI post GK.  Symptoms after GK are similar to allergies and do not really cause any significant impairment. I did feel tired about six weeks following the GK and took a couple of weeks off work but it could have also been a combination of my stress level leading to the day of the treatment. Your AN is quite small, from my understanding through this whole process, radiation would probably be more beneficial as the recovery period is much shorter and because of the size easier to "fry". It is a very difficult decision to make but you do eventually make one and I find that everyone on the fourm feels they made the right choice at the time.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Josepe

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 08:31:28 am »
Thanks for your post Vivian,

I am leaning towards radiation. I don't know if anything would fix the hearing distortion and loss I have in that ear now but I am hopeful. I will know more on the 24th after I have my consultation.

jfspainter

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 09:02:42 pm »
I had GK Aug 2, 2012 and everything went really well. I am getting my energy back. I still have my pre GK symptoms : balance issues, tinnitus, numb face and left side of my tongue. The GK was a breeze. Drove 7 hrs to Maine 3 days later. My AN was 2.3 cm. my doc does all three, GK, CK and surgery. I felt I was in good hands. Never wanted the surgery and was thrill when said GK. I never looked back. I do have trouble on the telephone as I lip read anyway (hard of hearing since i was 5) as my hearing my left ear is distorted.

Good luck, Jane

caryng1

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 11:05:27 am »
I am 59 and coming to the final decision of GK vs Surgery. I'm grateful for this forum and all of your comments. I've noticed a definite loss of word recognition in my AN ear and the anxiety is building.  Mostly from not making a decision. Everyone's comments here are very supportive and I guess we all just need to live and adjust to the changes that we have in our life.  The important thing is that there is still life to enjoy. thanks, cg

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 02:42:10 pm »
Your AN is extremely small, at 5mm they dont find them much smaller than that.
Many Doctors will place you on watch and wait. You could be one of the lucky 30% that the tumour does not grow at all or even shrinks.
So don't discount conservative management as an option.

Both GK and CK are excellent options for very small tumours, in fact these machines work best with small tumours.
So you are an excellent candidate.

There are significant inherant risks with surgery, and as your AN is very small you will need to weigh up those risks, against watch and wait, and CK or GK

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

It is what it is

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 02:42:25 pm »
Whatever you decide as to treatment, I wish good things for you. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.