Author Topic: BAHA Recovery  (Read 3447 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
BAHA Recovery
« on: July 22, 2010, 08:53:13 am »
Hi all....I need some input from you BAHA folks out there.  I was traveling for the past week, almost 10 days.  I religiously washed the BAHA site as directed and kept it moist with Bacatracin or Neosproin.  I have periodically looked with a mirror at the site to see how it is doing.  I have one suture sitting there that did not dissolve, but what was disturbing last night was I noticed a small pocket of pus at the bottom of the post.  I am thinking infection!!!!!  I am going to call the doctor today and see if I can get in before my appointment next week.  Have any of you had this happen in the healing process?  It really upsets me because I have been so careful about cleaning, drying and applying the ointment.  I am more than annoyed.  Thoughts or similar issues with any of you?
~Dale~
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: BAHA Recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:53:50 am »
You did a good thing by calling your doctor soon.  It sounds like the one stitch that did not dissolve  or some of your hair might have caused your infection.  Not knowing how much hair you have around the site, it's best to see if you can get it cut short until the site heal. I had the same thing happened to me on my first time around.  It took me almost 2 months to heal right before I can return to work.  I work in a healthcare environment.  That doesn't mean it will happen to you like it did with me, Everyone is different.   Who knows but it's good to have it checked out by your surgeon.  Let us know what happens.  Good luck.  ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:23:22 am »
Thanks so much Kencutus.  I have called the doctor and they ordered an antibiotic and said I can wait to be seen until Tuesday at my scheduled appointment.
Thanks!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:08:55 pm »
Dale -

infection is just one of those things that can happen.  Some get one after their implant; others don't.

As Ken suggested - and you did - calling the doctor is the best bet.

Hope things clear up very soon.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 11:45:49 pm »
Well, doctor's appointment today and the infection is already better.  He cleaned the site a bit, as I had some crusting around the abutment (in spite of religious use of ointment).  He said it looked good, clean and the infection is not anything major and is almost gone..  The great news....I have my GOTCHA DAY!  September 30th it is, and my processor is already sitting in their office at UCSD.  How do I put my GOTCHA DAY on the calendar?  That is a wonderful date to look forward to.  Can't wait!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:20:18 am »
Dale -

glad the infection is clearing up and also glad that you have a Gotcha Day!  Congrats!!

Here's a link to the AN Calendar http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

1wareagle

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 03:02:44 pm »
Dale,

Glad to hear that the infection is clearing up. I had the same thing happen to me and it took 2 months to completly clear up. The doctor was not alarmed when I call him about the infection. It must not be a big deal.  I have noticed that if I get too hot working in my yard I can look for the infection to flare up again the following week. Good luck in you continuing recovery.

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 08:06:59 pm »
Ellis -

good to see ya.  It's been awhile  ;D

Hope things are good with you.

Jan

PS - sorry for the hijack, Phyl

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 08:16:30 pm »
ELLIS~
I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were doing!!  We have moved to Houston so if you ever get this way - let me know so we can get together...oh & by the way so this is not a TOTAL HIGHJACK...I may be getting a BAHA and we can...er...Talk about your infection...yeah, that's it!!  ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 07:03:01 am »
Kaybo -

it would be great if you got the BAHA.

BTW, I didn't know Ellis lives by you.  We'll have to invite him to Thanksgiving  ;)

Jan

1wareagle

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 10:41:29 am »
K and Jan,

It's good to hear from you again too! I stay so busy with work and life that I can't find the time to just sit down long enought to look at the forum anymore. I am doing great!! I never regained all the movements in my face but friends tell me it's not noticable. RIGHT!!!! Jan, I still live in Mississippi. The Misses and I will be going on a business trip to Las Vegas August 14 and will have to change planes in Houston but that is the closes I will be to K. The Thanksgiving offer still sound great!!! I have a day off today and I will be spending it mowing the yard!!

Both of you take care,
Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 11:31:11 pm »
Ellis -

knowledge of geography isn't one of my strong points, but if you're anywhere near Cincinnati, you should join us next June for the ANA Symposium.

It would be great to meet you - and the missus!

Jan

Okay, okay, Phyl.  I know, back on topic  ::)  You can put the whip away now.