Author Topic: Newbie with a question...  (Read 5920 times)

Hcash

Newbie with a question...
« on: October 21, 2010, 11:41:11 am »
Hi I'm new to this site and really glad I found it.  My husband was diagnosed with an AN in Aug.  He lost his job in July which meant he also lost his insurance.  Since he is ex military we are trying to go though the VA but he didn't have benefits before this so we are now having to wait for him to get benefits.  Just wondering if any of you guys know of anything we can do?  I don't know the exact size of his AN but the doctor that diagnosed him said it was large and would need to be removed.  Any suggestions?

Kaybo

Re: Newbie with a question...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 01:08:33 pm »
Hcash~
So sorry that I don't have any helpful information but I just wanted to welcome you and tell you that I am sure someone will be along shortly with some advice!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 02:15:53 pm »
Hi Hcash and welcome to this forum ......

I'm sure Jim will be along shortly for some good suggestions, as I think he is still doing assistance ministry in his church and is familiar with the insurance industry.

In the meantime, a few things come to mind:  Would he still be eligible to COBRA from his previous place of employment?  Would he be eligible for Medicaid?  Have you explored your state health department?  Has he discussed with his doctor's office about any other insurance options besides the military?

This is a tough one because his AN is deemed large.  See if you can find out the exact size from the doctor's office and exactly where it is located (is it pressing on the brainstem, for instance).  What are his symptoms?  All of these things will determine how long he can safely wait before treatment.

Best thoughts and let us know how he is doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 02:30:06 pm »
Hcash -

Unfortunately, not being a military veteran, I don't know much about the eligibility parameters for receiving VA medical benefits but you might wish to check out the VA website to learn more.  http://www4.va.gov/healtheligibility/.

Should the VA not be helpful, I would suggest calling '211' to find out what other kinds of medical coverage may be available http://www.211.org/

The problem is that because your husband has already been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, many conventional health insurance plans will not cover his treatment for this.  However, there are always options if one searches hard enough.  Calling '211' may be a good start to finding the option that will work for him.   I hope this information will be of some small help to you and your husband.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 08:40:39 pm »
Hcash -

Gary (GM) responded to your other post about insurance benefits for military/ex-military.  Hope his suggestion works out for your husband.

Just wanted to welcome you to the Forum.  It's a great place, full of lots of information.  Another great source of information is the ANA.  If you contact them, they will send you their informational brochures - they explain a lot about ANs.

Please encourage your husband to read the posts on the Forum - and perhaps join our discussions.  The majority of AN patients - and their caretakers - find it very helpful to share experiences, ask questions, or just vent - and that's what we're all here for.  Don't hesitate to ask us anything.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ChristineH

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 09:09:29 pm »
hi hcash,
I am a veteran as well, I submitted a request to be seen at the VA (not for my AN), and received a letter back stating that congress passed a law (I believe in 2009) that states that you can be seen but only if your total household income does not exceed $35k per year. REGARDLESS of your outgoing expenses...they also look at your networth. I have an application if you want to submit. I could forward it to you.

Good luck for everything,
Christine
2.3cm x 1.9cm x 1.6cm, April 7, 2011 Retro Sig at Barrows in Phoenix, AZ. by Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter slight growth to 2.6cm -3.0cm day prior to surgery. SSD and balance isssues. 6 month MRI shows "enhanced area" : ( Will repeat again in 4 months.