Author Topic: Has enyone have full recovery after surgery  (Read 4119 times)

Zoki Grncarovski

Has enyone have full recovery after surgery
« on: October 18, 2009, 01:58:22 pm »
Pls send some pic or write some opinion about this subject !

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Has anyone have full recovery after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:45:33 pm »
The term 'full recovery' is a bit ambiguous when discussing acoustic neuroma surgery recovery.  

The surgery almost always leaves it's 'mark' in some way but for the majority of AN surgery patients, the resulting deficits are relatively small and surmountable, as the many posts on these forums will show.  Unfortunately some AN surgery patients have a slow recovery and some have issues that don't improve beyond a certain point.  These folks can usually rise to the occasion and learn to deal with the deficit, although the emotional strain can be tough for some.  Generally, the majority of AN surgery patients do well .  Some compete in marathons and other strenuous physical activities and the majority return to their jobs, in due time.  

My recovery was excellent.  Although I'm retired and never engaged in strenuous physical activities (just mental ones) I feel as if I've pretty much returned to my normal life, although I have a bit less stamina than I did, but I'm 66 and some 'slowing' is to be expected at this age.  I'm quite active and even though I have a few very minor deficits (invisible to others) I live a very rewarding life, in my opinion, doing what I want and feeling good while doing it, most of the time.  I wish the same for every AN surgery patient but the reality is that no one can guarantee a trouble-free AN surgery recovery. We do our research, think hard about our choice in treatment, doctor, hospital, get as healthy as we can, have a positive attitude and then, we pray or at least hope for a good outcome...usually both.    

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

Re: Has enyone have full recovery after surgery
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 03:27:24 pm »
I would say I'm about 98% recovered...as I'll never regain my hearing nor will my balance nerve regererate..but after months of exercise and determination, I'd say I'm basically back to normal..a new normal...I realize that the exercise regiment will be a life long commitment but it will be well worth it...I'm almost 7 months post op..I'd say the text book average of 6-8 weeks is for the birds...more like 6-8months....mind you I only had about 1-2 minor set backs in my recovery but I kept moving forward.  At first I was only going to go back to work part time teaching driver ed in class...but I missed working with the kids in car, that as of this monday, I'm back in car...I'm not sure how that will transpire being deaf in my leaf ear, but it will only be for a short time until I get my baha turned on....then the world will be my oyster...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 03:55:34 pm »
I'm guessing, Zoki, that you are referring to recovery from facial paralysis?

Delayed paralysis, which occurs a few days to two weeks after surgery, usually resolves fairly completely within a few weeks. Paralysis that is evident in the recovery room is more serious. It generally does not resolve completely, although there can be enough improvement that the untrained eye would not notice anything wrong, but it can take months or even years before healing is complete. On the other hand, for some patients there is no recovery of facial function, but there are surgical techniques that can help in that case, such as a 7-12 nerve jump or a T3 tendon transfer. I'm betting that some of our wonderful folks who have undergone these procedures will chime in.

There is an excellent website at http://neurosurgery.mgh.harvard.edu/CranialBaseCenter/b95.htm that explains how predictions concerning facial paralysis are made.

Can you share with us some of the particulars of your surgery and outcome, and what your surgeon had to say?

Sara

MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 05:35:00 pm »
Hi Zoki:  Like Sara said, some people get pretty much full facial nerve recovery, especially if the nerve was just stretched, not severed.
My nerve was severed so I opted for the T3 procedure.  Many people have gone the route of nerve grafting & do very well.
It'd be good to ask your neurosurgeon or neurologist what they think.   It can take weeks, months,  & in some cases years to get movement back.
Please don't hesitate to ask more questions if it's about facial paralysis (or anything !).
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 07:56:55 pm »
"Full recovery" is so ambiguous.  I consider myself 'fully recovered'.  Not sure that someone else would though (?).  I did lose some hearing in one ear, and have a new ringing noise that I didn't have prior to surgery-but other than that, it's business as usual.  It's a funny thing to think about 'full recovery'.  There may have been a time in my not so distant past when I would have thought the idea of losing some hearing in one ear was absolutely horrific.  I suspect my perspective has changed now that I know how much each of us stands to lose (not just with an AN, but with LIFE), and how incredible it is that we come through with so much (if that makes me a 'glass half full' type perspective, then so be it).

My life is great, and therefore yes-I emphatically believe that I have 'fully recovered'.  :-)

I suspect that you're newly diagnosed and trying to feel out whether there are only horror stories out there, or if people have happy endings.  If that is the case, fear not-there ARE happy endings.  Lots of them.  You may even be lucky enough to come out of this with a new found appreciation for all of the good things in your life.  I know I have.

I only hope that the ones that do struggle daily on this board will one day too feel 'fully recovered'.  I've learned so much from everyone on this board, and only wish the best for them!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 07:43:15 am »
Lots of wise words have been posted above, don't you just love these people and this place?

As others have said, the term 'full recovery' is very individualistic. I have minimal, and on some days no, easily observable indications that a whole gaggle of people spent 9 or so hours poking around the edges of my brain. Are there specific questions you have?

Often the glass axiom comes up. I kind of view it as no matter which half perspective you are coming from, if you don't pick it up and do something with it then your glass of life just sits on the table getting stale. From that point of view, I often see people that don't have 'full recovery' even though they've never had an AN or surgery. I've also been fortunate to meet others that still have many effects, often from multiple surgeries, that have managed to turn their glass into a full open fire hose of life. It's that second group I most often try to emulate.

Zoki, I see that this is your first post here. Welcome, and please continue to come back. You'll find many of those 'fire hose' people here...ooop, I see some have already shown up in this thread, and they are a blast to be around.

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi