Author Topic: Does this sound "normal"?  (Read 1687 times)

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
Does this sound "normal"?
« on: January 21, 2009, 04:10:40 pm »
Hello,

For the past week, my tinnitus has gotten louder, and I've been feeling somewhat dizzy at times, especially when I'm at the computer. After reading through some threads on here, I see that some people hypothesize that cold weather makes these symptoms worse. It's been pretty cold here this past week compared to earlier in the season, so I'm wondering if these are related? Also, does the dizziness sound like an AN symptom? Sometimes it feels like my eyes are spinning a little, and I feel kind of lightheaded too (but it's not my blood sugar).

I have my pre-op appt on Monday, and then surgery is two weeks from then. I'm starting to get nervous but I'm also trying to be optimistic about things.

Thanks,
Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

Jwh

Re: Does this sound "normal"?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 04:21:03 pm »
I'm no sure about the symptoms increasing due to the coldness?  I notice that your pre-op is Monday.  My surgery is on Monday and I had my pre-op yesterday.  Good luck with everything.  I'll be thinking of you.
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

Dawn

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 04:43:35 pm »
I am interested to hear people's comments about that....I too have had more occurrences of the High Pitched sounds in my ear...it has also been colder than normal.

Good luck with your surgery...may I ask why the retrosig vs the translab?  I am waiting on another MRI before making decisions and try to get opinions on why one procedure is chosen over the others.

Thanks
Dawn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 05:04:28 pm »
In previous posts I have said that I had this weird eye twitching thing. At first it scared me a bit but then I thought  (for me) It sorta helped me get ready for the surgery by noticing that my symptons were slowly getting worse. Now of course these symptoms don't happen to everyone, but for me I was thankful that I was going to go ahead and take care of this issue. My eye twitching was during the summer so maybe the heat here in Florida made things worse? I hope you and JWH will post prior and post your surgery so you can keep us up to date. Like I have said before there will be people praying and thinking about you on those days. Take Care.
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 06:40:35 pm »
Jen - Thanks, I'll be thinking of you too. We can get through it!

Dawn - I'm going with retrosig for a couple of reasons. One - my surgeons are most experienced with that procedure. Two - I still have pretty good hearing with 80% word recognition in that ear, so it seems worth it to try to save it. I know it may not be extremely useful hearing, but I kind of think that having something over there to help with directionality would be ideal.

Johnny - That's kind of how I feel now...I'm a little glad that my symptoms seem to be getting worse because it's easier to convince myself that taking care of this now is the way to go. I'll let everyone know how the pre-op goes next week, and I will definitely post afterward too!
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

joebloggs

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 07:21:02 pm »
Johnny - I get the eye twitching thing too!  I'm glad it's not just me!!! 

Jen and Zinger - good luck with the surgery, you'll rock it!!!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

deblyvers

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 02:35:49 pm »
Hello to all,
I had my AN removed 20yrs. ago. It all sounds normal to me. The dizziness and numbness on my face is what lead the Dr. to doing a CT scan.I also was having headaches and ear problem (hurting like I had a ear infection) My surgery went good....I did loose my hearing on the right side and some facial problems. The stay in the hospital was 2 wks. I didn't have much pain at all. The right side of my head was numb for several months, felt like I was wearing a cap. Over time my balance got alot better. I still find myself loosing my balance when I am very tired. It's like I am drunk L.O.L.....and the cold weather thing never got better for me. If I am out in the cold for long my head starts to feel very full , its hard to explain. After coming in to the heat it feels as if my head is thawing out...sounds crazy but true. I also always have this noise in my ear...something like a cricket sound. I just thank God everyday that my tumor was not cancer. Remember things could be alot worse.....I am now worrying about my adrenaline glad. A small mass was found so they want to do a biopsy. I just pray and put my trust in the Lord.

Take care, and many blessings,
Deblyvers