Author Topic: an appointment today with Doc from EDS specialty said might haveTitanium allergy  (Read 2045 times)

Mei Mei

Dear All,

I saw Dr. Henderson today and he said I didn't have much time and that my MRI looked scary.   I said how much time and he said 6 to 8 weeks.   He also wanted to use a steel rod to stabilize my neck and gave me a collar.   I told him of all the problems I've been having with the stinging and pins and needles where the mesh is and he said to buy a Titanium bracelet or ring and see if it gives you trouble.   He said that the mesh is not pure titanium but has brass in it.   Dr. Ducic even saw this on my last visit.   When I wear a necklace or earrings as I did because of a birthday gift, I get a bad rash and my neck and ears get bloody.   I remove the jewelry (from Chico's) which is gold plate over nickel and get these rashes.

He said it wouldn't be much trouble to take the mesh out but probably wouldn't help.

I have a conundrum.   I have a known allergy to nickel, nickel in my head that has tortured me since Jan 12, 2010.  Not many people on the Acoustic Neuroma Forum have these problems.   It's a big surgery and I don't know what to do.   He uses artificial discs which it says on a website collapse and there is a doctor at Cornell that is working on biological discs that don't collapse.

If this is true, that's the answer to why I have so much problems with the mesh since it is not pure Titanium.   There are so many questions to ask before the surgery.   I didn't even think to ask about the mesh having nickel in it.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Ugh Mei Mei! I am once again sooo sorry you are going through all this....I hope you get some serious resolution, and soon!  Keep us update, ok? <hugs>
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Mei Mei

The NY doctor called today and said I wasn't a candidate for surgery.
It's all so confusing.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh