Author Topic: Marci's in Italy and doing great!  (Read 2188 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Marci's in Italy and doing great!
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:13:41 pm »
Hi everyone,
I've been in Italy (on business) and I'm doing great.  For some reason I'm having very little facial pain (must be the Tuscan air) but my biggest accomplishment is that I am going out to eat mostly every meal and I'm dealing well with my anxiety about food on my face in public. (just can't feel it if it's there.)  I know it sounds like a minor issue, but especially in a business situation I wasn't sure I would be able to handle it.  So far, so good.  I guess the food is just so good (and the wine) that I've had to get over it pretty quickly.  On the other hand I think I'm gaining vast amounts of weight so will be paying for this trip for a while!  I haven't been on email very much (no time) but I wanted to check in. 
Ciao amici!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Marci's in Italy and doing great!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:31:22 pm »
UH!  You didn't even give us the chance to stow away in your luggage (everyone knows that Jan loves doing that)!  Congrats that things are going well with being on a trip!  That's great!  Next time, some notice so we can stow away.. ;)  Have fun!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 06:17:20 pm »
Hey Marci,

Take lots of pictures so we will know what we missed.  In addition to good wine, there's good food....that you didn't have to cook!
Enjoy your trip and tell us all about it when you get back :).

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 06:32:11 pm »
Hi Marci,
It sounds like you're having a really good time and I'm glad the food and wine are so good you're not worrying about anything else.  I hear the pizza and gelato are amazing!  Have a great time!!!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:44:38 pm »
Hi, Marci,

I am so glad that you are doing so well! But to be honest, I am a little jealous because you are in Italy. Hope you enjoy all the food! How is the weather there? it is blistering cold right now in NJ and I wish I were in Italy...

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 07:57:37 pm »
I'm not a little jealous, I'm a LOT jealous!  First, Phyl gets to go to England and now you're in Italy...oh, I so want to go over that way!  But, do enjoy yourself, Marci - how wonderful for you that you have the opportunity and that you are so recovered from you AN surgery that you can do it.  You very much deserve it!  Have a glass of wine (or two) for all of us!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:35:05 pm »
I think your subject line is redundant. How could you be in Italy and not be doing great? :)

Enjoy the trip. Lets have a slide show when you get back.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 11:11:32 am »
Okay I'm VERY, VERY JEALOUS :'(  Marci is in Italy and my third son Anthony just booked his trip to Italy last night on MY Master Card. (Don't worry he transfer the funds from his bank account to mine.) He leaves June 24 and returns July 24.  He and his two cousins are going and will have a great time.  I'm really crying now......he is going to see Italy before me....sniffle, sniffle  :'( :'(

Still crying here,
Anne Marie

PS Marci.....ENJOY  :-* :-*
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 01:45:53 pm »
Marci:

I too want to see lots of pictures. Never been to Italy, but one day soon.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 01:55:22 pm »
Marci:

Congratulations on your trip and your obvious progress! Enjoy - and be in the moment because, whether you return to Italy or not, this moment won't come again.  :)

Buona giornata!

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 04:31:39 pm »
Buona sera, Bella!

Enjoy every morsel and drop!  I am so glad that the eating is going well - I know exactly what you mean about being concerned about eating in a business environment - it's a little unnerving.  However, maybe the wonderful Italian food knows to stay in your mouth somehow...

Mangia!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 07:49:23 am »
Hi everyone,
Am now back from Italy (Arezzo in Tuscany) and it really was great.  It was my second visit there (I help run the summer opera program) and even though it was cold, it was nothing compared to the 3 degrees it is now.  Oh well.  I had virtually no face pain while I was there (Tuscan air??) but as soon as I boarded the plane from Rome to Newark it returned.  What is the story with that?  Anyway, I'm now trying to recover from jet lag in time to go to LA on Wednesday, where I wlll meet up with the LA folks on Sunday the 25th for brunch.  Life is getting back to normal, even with a numb face and all the other issues.  I guess I am dealing with it and adjusting to it.  I'd rather live my life to the fullest every day than hide under a blanket.  I'm going to attempt to run on the treadmill in order to get rid of all the pasta I ate.  No gelato alas, most places were closed for the season but I'll make up for it this summer.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 11:05:27 am »
Hi Marci -
Welcome home -- t sounds like you had a great trip!   I'm stumped aboput  why your face pain would return as soon as you got on the plane unless it happened in flight -- then it might be attributable to the cabin pressure.  I have to say I'm quite envious that you are flying off to sunny California next week.  It's six degrees here with a high of 15 expected today.  Next week is supposed to be in the 20's and thirties -- a heat wae by comparison.   ;D
Can I hide in your suitcase?  ;D ;D ;D

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tamara

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 11:32:42 am »
Hi Marci,
  Congrats on a successful trip to Italy!  It sounds like you had a great time.  I am also going to vote for the pressure idea.  I've also been wondering about the relationship of weather pressure systems to tinnitus.  I've read a number of posts lately where someone says that they've traveled and had the tinnitus stop or start/increase upon arrival.  Personally, I've found that although my tinnitus is pretty much gone (after surgery - yes, I'm the oddball), that when I have extra pressure in my head (from a cold, or sinuses), I find that it's returned.  Haven't related it to atmospheric pressure per se, but I think that idea has merit.  Obviously, airplane cabins are pressurized.  I'll be flying in the summer and will definitely see if I can tell a difference.
  Anyhow, sorry for the rambling.  Glad to hear about your trip, Marci!

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...