Author Topic: i want to join the military  (Read 2668 times)

sarahinPA

i want to join the military
« on: June 13, 2009, 08:09:17 am »
i am 5 1/2 months post GK and am considering joining a branch of the military in the near future. does anyone know if AN is a reason to not be able to get in? my balance is pretty good but i do notice some issues. lately ive been getting more dizzy than usual but im hopeing that goes away soon.

any information would really help before my recruiting apointments next week. thank you!

ps. please do not post to tell me the military is a bad idea or voice opinions, just information please. thank you
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

petittrv

Re: i want to join the military
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 11:06:54 am »
Sarah,

I am 20 months post-op and currently srving in the Army in Iraq.  A little different case as I was already in the Army and allowed to stay in.  Do you have hearing on your AN side?  SSD is typically a disqualifier but may be waived depending on what job/service you try for (obviously my vote is the Army).

I still have some balance issues but have been able to overcome most of them (I'm also old, so I get to move slower anyway).  I am currently serving as an advisor to an Iraqi army unit which means I am living on an Iraqi base and am out on patrols pretty frequently.  Climbing in and out of the new anti-IED vehicles is a little tricky for me (especially when I'm tired) but other than that I'm doing OK.  Of course I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear very well with the other so my teammates might not totally agree with my opinion, but I think you would be fine.  The recruiter can probably offer you plenty of options that would minimize any issues with aftereffects you may have.  My balance was already shot before being diagnosed so my after effects were not very bad (my body had already compensated).

Good Luck - Go Army!!
Rick
4.5 cm AN - diagnosed 12 Sep 07; removed 2 Oct 07.  VII to XII Nerve transfer 9 Oct 07; CSF leak repair/eyelid weight installed 16 Oct 07. Deaf in left ear, facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 01:24:50 pm »
Sarah ~

I think it's wholly admirable that you want to join the military and I hope you'll be successful.  I know you don't want opinions, but I couldn't resist supporting your choice.

Rick offered some very good points based on his real-world military experience in Iraq.  I assume that you'll have to take a pre-induction physical and answer a lot of medical questions, so your AN surgery will, by necessity, be addressed upfront.  If it's a bar to enlistment, you'll find out quickly but, just as Rick noted, the recruiter may be able to offer you alternative military options.  You might have to press the issue (how to serve) but I'm sure the military can find a way to accommodate your situation.  Please let us know how this works out for you.  Thanks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 05:29:34 pm »
I'm not in the military, but I have to wonder.  Do you have to have 100% hearing?

I know of some law enforcement officers who had AN treatment that left them SSD and they were reassigned to desk jobs. 

Is this an issue in the military?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

epodjn

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 05:54:36 pm »
My son is in the army and served in Iraq and is very hard of hearing because of his service. He is EOD, (finds and blows up roadside bombs). I guessing, being a women, you would not be doing that but would be in some kind of support position and would be just fine being SSD. I say go for it. I'm sure they will find a position for you if you are willing to not be to selective about what you do. They need all the good people they can get! Also, it's a great way to get a good education! My son will graduate from college soon and has not paid a dime.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Keri

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 09:16:59 pm »
I have just a little bit of experience in this (not sure of details). My son's about to join the Air Force. He visited all the different branches - some had more requirements (physical, test scores, no tatoos, etc) than others. We got a lot of information  off of about.com  under the different military branches. Or you can just go to each branches' websites. I believe they have the physical requirements (what you have to pass and be able to do in basic training) listed in detail, or what kind of meds you can / can't be on. Plus, you have a "brief medical exam" when you take that initial test (the ASVAB).

I just found my son's packet... let's see. Besides drug and alcohol testing, and a physical and neeing to be able to lift 40 lbs, it says "you will take a very sensitive hearing test." It doesn't say that you have to have 100% hearing. (and, this is for USAF only - not sure about the other branches).

Thank you for wanting to serve - I hope it works out for you.

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

lori67

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 02:43:01 pm »
Good luck to you Sarah, and just about 3 weeks ago, I knew a good Navy recruiter (my husband..) - but he's not recruiting anymore! 

I know the Navy has certain "red flags" as far as medical conditions and surgeries are concerned, and anything out of the ordinary that comes up needs to get a waiver approved by the higher ups before they can offer you a job.  Your best bet is to tell them up front and let them get the medical documentation they need to make the decision.

Trust me, they'll do their best to get you in.  Good luck!

Go NAVY!!!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.