Author Topic: Toothache or Trigeminal?  (Read 3591 times)

Dana

• Hi!
Toothache or Trigeminal?
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »
Ok, folks, I've got a new problem...any input will be much appreciated.

I have a constant pain, for about a week now, that sort of feels like a toothache, but I'm wondering if post-GK swelling is pressing on the trigeminal.  I guess it could be a localized sinus infection too.  It's not QUITE specific enough to be ONE TOOTH, like a toothache would normally be, but it's within the area of 2-3 teeth, on the same side as my AN.

Thanks, AS ALWAYS!
Love,
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Re: Toothache or Trigeminal?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 09:48:02 pm »
Hi Dana,

I have felt some aches on that side since my CK. I thought it felt a little like TMJ I was treated successfully for years ago. I don't know if this is a symptom of AN or not. I know this probably is not informational, but I am wishing you the best!

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:46:23 am »
Hey Dana,

Funny you wrote about this symptom as I too experience this just after my most recent surgery and I am bringing this up to my dentist in a few weeks as I too wonder!   HMMMMM.....

P.S.  My sinuses are clear
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:41:33 pm »
Dana,

I already had two surgeries and have had this kind of constant uncomfortable feeling in the same teeth on the AN side since the second operation. First, I had pain and itches in the whole row but then it faded away and now only the 2nd and 3rd teeth are still like numb.
I checked these teeth by the dentist and they turned out to be healthy. So I guess, this is due to the trigeminal nerve. Furthermore, I don't feel anything in this and other areas on my face.

Have you talked to your doctors?

Best wishes,
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 01:52:03 pm »
Hrissy,
Yes, I'm going to talk to doctors, and I need to go the dentist anyway.  Just dunno.... actually, it's better today (after several days)...Thanks for everyone's input.
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

LisaP

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 05:25:32 pm »
Hi,

I'm a new member, newly diagnosed in March of 08, my first symptom was a tooth ace that then developed into Trigeminal pain.  I did not have any ear symptoms until May of 08.  I on the wait and see treatment with another MRI set in Boston in August. 
 Best wishes

LisaP :(
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 05:51:21 am »
Dana,

Yesterday had a dentist appointment for my tooth pain and cleaning where he found my pain was not trigeminal neuralgia but a crack in that tooth, also noted was sensitivity to a few teeth on my left side where there never has been any.  No comment was made about why so many teeth were sensitive this time around, and of course, my short-term memory still stinks so forgot to ask.  I should add my teeth/gum care are impeccable (as they have told me).  So will be going back in for a crown.  Wanted to update you as sometimes what's obvious isn't.  My dentist proudly told me he recently diagnosed TN for one of his patients though.  Don't know if this is coincidence, but an hour after xrays my neck muscle, in the front, started to spasm and this continues this morning too!?  I have not had dental xrays for a few years as I felt I've had enough assault to the left side of my head and face, but couldn't talk them out of the xrays this time as they wanted to rule out TN. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:12:49 pm »
Well, my jaw pain ended up being a tooth problem, now in the process of being fixed.  But I still swear that everything on the right side of my face is deteriorating -- not horribly, but subtly!
Dana

goinbatty

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:02:03 pm »
I have occasional aches in my right jaw (same side as AN), which is likely TMJ.  My dentist has told me for years that I grind my teeth.  You can bet this is much worse when I'm stressed out.  Several years back I had a custom night guard made which looks similar to a retainer.  Prior to that, I tried several brands of sport mouth guards but just couldn't tolerate them.  I'll have to admit that I don't use it all the time like I should but I'm trying. 
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 02:19:07 pm »
Dana,

I went to my dentist last evening (July 22) and there were no carieses where i pointed as a place that my dull pain was (still is)! he explained to me that this phantom pain might be because of having numb spots over my face and the brain may try to compensate it! (eg when people have their legs amputated, let's say, but they still feel they have some pain in their toes - which is weird because they do not have a leg!).

On the other hand, he found a cavity on another tooth i was not complaining about but it turned out that this tooth is numb too! i have to have my two right AN side wisdom teeth taken out next week and since I do not feel anything there he joked that at least i will save money from not using an anaesthetic!  ;D

How are you doing? do you still have the pain? did you contact yuor dentist?

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co