Author Topic: Hearing loss following surgery  (Read 3696 times)

fargo

Hearing loss following surgery
« on: April 09, 2011, 07:18:43 pm »
Was diagnosed with a 14 mm. accoustic neuroma and met with team at the University of Minnesota last month.  Given the size of the AN there is no rush, but it is anticipated that eventually I will need to address either through surgery or radiation.  I am 56 years old.  The really bad news was that given the location of the AN, the surgery would be through the inner ear and I would completely loose the hearing in my right ear.  I would welcome any comments about dealing with the loss of hearing following AN surgery and how best to adjust to that loss.  My plan at this point is to schedule surgery in late summer / early fall along with an MRI to see extent of growth.  If tumor hasn't grown much, I may cancel surgery.  Any comments on this strategy are also welcome.

Thanks.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Hearing loss following surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 08:08:01 pm »
Hi Fargo! I had lost the bulk of my hearing prior to surgery and then surgery finished it off. I was 48 at the time and am 14 months post-op. On January 25th of this year I had surgery for a BAHA - Bone Attached Hearing Aid. Just yesterday I received the sound processor (it takes time for the implant to integrate with the bone) - it is very cool to hear things on my left side again. Many people have the implant done at time of the tumor resection.

Being Single-Side Deaf (SSD) is not the end of the world. It is disconcerting at times, but one learns to adapt. I know a couple of folks that have been SSD since childhood and it simply does not bother them.

I hope this is helpful,

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:55:17 pm »
I was 50 yrs old when I was diagnosed and had surgery. Although I have complete hearing loss on that side, life is good. I also had surgery for a BAHA about 4 months post op. Then I returned to school, finished my nursing degree and as of a couple of weeks ago I am a licensed registered nurse. Although being SSD was not something I ever thought of in life, you do get used to it and you realize that in the scheme of life, it's not that big of a deal!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:42:21 pm »
Fargo -

with an AN of 1.4 cm, you are correct there is no rush for treatment since most ANs grow very slowly.

That said, make sure that you monitor your AN (thru the occasional MRI) because sometimes unexplained rapid growth (usually pretty rare) does happen.

My AN was 1.5 cm when I was diagnosed and by the time I had surgery approximately 6 weeks later it had almost doubled in size.

Also, if you start to experience new symptoms or the symptoms you have worsen, you may want to seek treatment sooner rather than later.

As for the hearing loss, some learn to cope with it, others aren't so successful (I was one of these).  There are options available for those who are SSD (single-sided deaf) like the TransEar and the BAHA.  I opted for the BAHA, and almost 3 years later I'm still thrilled with my choice and I recommend it to everyone.  However, I'll be the first to tell you that BAHAs aren't for everyone.  Those on the Forum who chose the TransEar seem to be very happy with that choice.  You should look into both options.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:52:08 pm »
Fargo ~

Hi - and welcome.  Because I didn't opt for a BAHA, I'll add a slightly different perspective in my response to your question regarding post-surgical hearing loss.   My growing AN (4.5 cm at the time of my diagnosis) slowly but surely destroyed the hearing in my affected ear (my left) prior to surgery so the loss wasn't a big issue.  However, as an AN patient that copes with being SSD, I can attest that, although the loss isn't insignificant,  it isn't a terrible burden.  At least, not for me. There are a bunch of adjustments to make, including choosing where you sit in a room or at a long table where you want/need to hear people and how to position yourself when speaking to an individual.  Because I only have the use of one ear for hearing, long telephone conversations are a thing of the past for me.  However, I can have a normal phone conversation because the hearing acuity in my 'good ear' is excellent.  To be honest, I do 'miss' things and even my spouse, who is very well aware of my hearing deficiency, occasionally forgets and tries to talk to me while walking away - or while she's in another room.  I only hear a voice (no word definition ) and have to remind her that "I can't hear you".  I have to keep my cell phone in my shirt pocket and with the ring volume at maximum setting or I'll miss calls.  Fortunately, I don't use my cell phone that much and this is a minor inconvenience.  What else?  Well, with unilateral hearing loss you lose the ability to determine sound directionality.  So, in the car, if I hear a siren (police, ambulance) I have no idea where it's coming from and have to look in the rear-view mirror to be sure the vehicle isn't bearing down on me or a police car signaling me to pull over ( hasn't happened, yet).  My wife calling out to me in a crowded store is almost comical as I execute a 360-degree pirouette trying to find her location.  There are other inconveniences to being SSD, including the inability to hear someone talking to you in a crowded/noisy environment, i.e. a busy restaurant.  In those situations, I have to physically lean forward to hear my wife, which is a bit awkward but something we've both grown accustomed to.  Even so, I consider being SSD a impediment but not a handicap.   Others may differ.  It's all subjective and is determined by the individual.  That's why they make the  BAHA.  You may feel that you cannot function being SSD, as many post-op folks do, and so, you'll have that option, should you need to use it.  I would try adjusting to being SSD, first and if it's simply not working for you, look into getting a BAHA, realizing that while these aids are great, you won't regain 'natural' hearing - but, as many AN patients can testify, it will definitely be close enough.  I hope this lengthy reply is helpful to you.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

deheisel11

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 08:00:40 am »
Hi Fargo,
I had the translab when I was 61 (last year).  I got my BAHA last week and am still getting use to it.  My first day I did not secure it properly and it fell off.  Luckily in my car.  I am now a little paranoid about losing it since the bugger is expensive.  Even with the BAHA, directionality is still a problem but I can now hear things on my right side much better.  As Jan and Jim said, there are several options: do nothing and get used to it, get a BAHA or a TransEar.  With the research that you are already doing, I am sure you will make the decision that works best for you.  Best wishes.
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

Brewers7

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:35:01 am »
Fargo,
     I  had surgery at age 50.  I opted for the Transear and it has been very helpful at work.  I do not need it as much at home.  In addition to the BAHA and Transear, the Sonnitis is also available.  It is worn on your back teeth.  Lots of options!
Welcome to the club.  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

rayden1

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:34:21 pm »
However Hi Fargo

Got Transear

Very expensive and I personally do not find much improvement. However each of us is different so it is worth researching. I dont think BAHA is available here as I never heard of it untill I found the forum. All best wishes to you and hope you get good results whatever you decide on.

Ann x

Brewers7

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 02:57:02 pm »
Some people have insurance coverage for the BAHA.  I have read about costs of about 25K if there is no coverage (costs of surgery, etc.).  My Transear was $3300.00.  I don't know about Sonnitis costs, since it is new.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Mickey

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 06:11:58 pm »
Hi Fargo! Having a 12x06 AN when I was 58 with hearing still pretty good I decided to W+W. I`m now 62+ with everything still the same at the least(stable) monitoring 1 time a year. It`s a decision which is so individual depending on yourself (good strategy). In any case whatever you decide doing your homework I`m sure that everything will turn out fine. Wishing you the best, Mickey