Author Topic: ready to give up  (Read 10772 times)

waypoint

Re: ready to give up
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 02:44:30 pm »
Kerri,
I know it's such a cliche, but what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.  I remember thinking this was it, my number was up. But now even with all of our issues, we are still better off then many others.  So, we have SSD. At least we can still hear out of the other ear.  I'm sorry to hear about all your other problems, but don't let it beat you down. You are stronger than that.   Look at the positives... Everyday that we are still here is a blessing.  I will pray for you and your recovery. Hang in there.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Tumbleweed

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 01:42:28 am »
Wendy, I just had to give you props for posting such comprehensive and helpful information on balance exercises. That was quite a lengthy post -- it must've taken you quite awhile to write it -- and we all appreciate the time and effort it took for you to offer it in this thread.

Kudos,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

wendysig

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 09:39:40 am »
Hi Kerri,
Just checking to see how you are feeling and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.  I hope all the helpful hints have helped and made you feel less alone.  Keep posting we are here to support you.

Best wishes,
Wendy

Tumbleweed -- Just doing my part, but thanks
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 10:25:34 am »
Hi Kerri,
I'm also checking in on you--I hope you are doing better today.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

bltfollis

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 10:56:15 am »
hi kerri, seems like things could be better, for starters i'll tell you im a nurse in philadelphia, my wife is a nurse in philadelphia, so if you need doctors names please let me know, also have a friend in mountaintop pa who is an ER doc in scranton he may be able to help. unfortunately many of us have felt really bad from time to time and can only imagine the pain. My advice for starters is look into that CSF leak, can be contributing to headaces ,balance issues and othres Csf is like a pool which your brain floats in it protects your  brain so if your deficient in qua***** and continually leaking you can irritate other structures ie: cranial nerves. please ,please,please consider the lots of good advice offered by many of the great people @ this site. remember baby steps first things will come, but baby steps first , gods speed in your recovery please dont hesitate to respond

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 12:52:40 pm »
Kerri,

How are you doing? Please give us an update.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 07:25:50 pm »
Crooked Smile is right, CSF contains glucose as that is the major nutrient to the brain and nasal drainage does not contain glucose.  Diabetics used to use urine dip sticks to test their urine for glucose and adjust their insulin accordingly, see if the pharmacy still carries those and test your leak and see what it shows.
And my heart goes out to you and I hope you can find some peace and comfort within yourself.  Gandolf (Lord of the Rings, my favorite) says it is not how much time we have here but it is how we use it that is important. 
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

klangel

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 03:28:51 pm »
hey all1thanx for all the great info especially the testing for glucose idea. what a wonderful idea and im gonna do it because u can buy those test strips at a pharmacy.i trust everyones thanksgiving was fabulous! mine was pretty good but very tiring and it has taken me awhile to recover from it. ive been in a fairly good mood despite the real bad eye ive been havin lately. i was real happy yesterday cuz i finally got my new silverware that ive wanted for 4 years! yay! but then i got home and checked my email and became so disheartened. i just have to share this with u guys! i got a response from the an support group coordinator because i had wanted , no needed, to start a support group in my area as the closest to me is 110 miles away and she told me that because there were under 20 people in my area that it would NOT BE JUSTIFIABLE at this time! she said that around 20 percent come to a support group. to me this is a huge blow and also a kick in the teeth (or lack thereof haha)i am of the opinion that if there were even 2 people it would be great. no more isolation and lonliness and a real chance to hug vent and even offer some understanding and support to family members as well. i sent an email back that was not rude but was a little less than kind explaining this and am awaiting a response. perhaps i need to take an add out in the paper to get some folks. maybe im going to have to go the veda route to get a group going. i dont know. all i know is i feel it would help not only me but a bunch of other folks too. there is nothing that can top human interaction and understanding, some venting of the frusretions that no one else understands and a good hug! what do u all think?

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2008, 06:28:21 am »
I say "Go ahead with your own support group, what could it hurt and what will you loose other than time spent in getting this going?"  I do hope you get a positive response back from them though, I'm sure they are giving you their best information, but perhaps you will prove them wrong, again what can you loose?  Even if only 2 people show up, perhaps word will spread and more will come?  I know my support group meets infrequently during the year (I think twice), but perhaps this will change as more and more come or the need to meet increases.  As for now, they are informative with medical professionals talking about various topics regarding our tumors and treatments. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Syl

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 11:06:05 am »
Kerri,

I think you need a hug, so here goes...((((((((((((((((Kerri))))))))))))))))))

Syl

klangel

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2008, 07:47:30 am »
thanks fo the hug !and always back at ya!thanks for the encouragement too. i think youre right i will do my own support group and i think we shall begin in my livingroom once a month because twice a year would be almost fruitless.i looked into veda and i think they may be able to help me get something going. ofcourse it will be persons and family members of vestibular disturbances (a broader range than just an folks) but alot of that we an folks can relate to because it is much the same . infact i already know a menieres guy from another organization i belong to!if they cant help me get contacts i will take an ad out in the paper!its just that i have gone as far as i can in counselling and the development of strategies to deal but i want to go further! need to step up the pace and reclaim the love of life that i once had!everything in me says this would be the way to go so i'll have to find a way.i know all you folks out there experience many of the same frustrations at the lack of knowledge and understanding associated with this nearly invisible disability. the difficulties of living like this wear you down. i know that we all need each other for encouragement, info, suggestions, new stategies and just some love and understanding. i'll keep pluggin away and i'll keep you posted. hope i can remember some of my college communications and teaching classes and some of my instructional training so i can be a successful group leadre! ha! wish me luck (good that is..i've already had bad) anyay i'll keep you posted. and thanks again, love kerri

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 08:35:47 am »
YOU GO GIRL!!!!!
You can do it. Make it happen! Let us know how it goes.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 10:30:25 am »
Go for it, Kerri.

I think it's a marvelous idea  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Syl

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 03:42:47 pm »
Kerri,

That's the spirit Kerri. Good luck.

Syl

klangel

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 07:22:42 am »
thanx! i will! ;)