Author Topic: Altitude and ANs  (Read 10379 times)

robynabc

Re: Altitude and ANs
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 05:08:20 pm »
Go  Cutler and Royal!!!   I think The Broncos will be the surprise team this year,  especially with Brady going down week one.  Manning was less than stellar also.  My only worry is the Defense.  They were hardly tested Monday.  Go Broncos!!   San Diego may be a bit of a threat but I don't believe their coach has what it takes. 

Woo hoo!.   

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 05:15:26 pm »
Robyn,

You are so much more on top of things than I am.  I just scream and shout!  You are now my "go to" person for BRONCOS info.  I know what the GU is for on the left side of the jersy, but what does that "C" stand for on the right side of the jersey.  I notice not all of the players have the "C".  Yep, defense will have to get some work so we can see what they are made of.  How is your son? 

Nancy 
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 03:16:56 pm »
*crosses arms and taps toe on floor at the hijacking going on*

ahem... back on track folks... thanks.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Nancy Drew

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 05:10:05 pm »
Darn, got caught hyjacking my own post.  Yikes!  It must be the altitude!!!  Nancy :-[ :-[ :-[
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

robynabc

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008, 09:32:40 pm »
I am in High Altitude and My son has an AN.  Is that enough so I can talk about the Broncos beating San Diego by 1 in the game of the week!!

LOL

Nancy we must be the only high altitude people around here.  If you don't live in Colorado or don't know how to drive in the mountains or snow you are affectionately known as a flatlander.  Well,  maybe it isn't always affectionate.   Just an interesting fact about the culture here. 

How is the tinnitus going?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:40:33 pm by robynabc »
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

robynabc

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2008, 07:22:49 am »
HI,

I am sorry it took so long to read through posts.  Feeling bad.   You know I just wrote on another post about how Eric has a terrible coughing attack when he sees bugs.  I guess that nerves are affected by thoughts and Eric had some very odd things that were happening to him pre surgery.  This is strange indeed.  Is there high altitude in Texas?

Robyn

Nancy Drew

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2008, 01:47:45 pm »
Hi Cheri,

I  have lived in CO for over 16 years now.  Other than a little "popping" of the ears, I have never had any real problems with the altitude affecting my AN.  When I go up into the mountains, I usually get motion sickness and/or a headache if I am dehydrated.  Always coming back down the ears do the little "popping" thing.  Helps when I chew gum.  I grew up down south, and when I fly back from seeing the folks, I usually have the altitude headache for a couple of days.  Those of you coming out here, don't forget to drink lots of water--helps with the headaches.  Also bring some lotion if you have dry skin.

I went down south in January, and I had no problems with my AN ear.  Around the middle of May I went snowshoeing a couple of times, in early June to a ski resort, and in August to Rocky Mountain National Park.  Every time I had trouble with my AN ear--ear pain and two times ear plugged up for a couple of hours.  Wen to OK City last month, and I had ear pain also when I got back.  By ear pain, I mean like an ear ache and a burning sensation.  My last MRI in May showed slight growth.  Before that my AN had just been sitting there causing no problems.  So, I guess what I am trying to say is that my AN ear has never had any problems with altitude until it started growing.  I think there is a connection.

I am curious to see what will happen when I go up in the mountains after my GK next month.  As Robyn has mentioned in our last posts, CO is a wonderful place to live.  I'm not moving even if the altitude continues to affect my ear.  The pain is worth living here.

Robyn,

Was that game amazing or what?  I was really worried about them going for two.  WOW, the BRONCOS just might be a comeback team afterall.  Does your son have problems with the altitude in his AN ear?  Hope he is doing better with the bugs.

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

robynabc

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 09:15:08 pm »
HI,

Sorry Nancy.  Haven't been here and we lost Sunday.  But I guess that is payback for our winning luckily against San Diego. 

I have never lived near sea level and because I live at 5280 above sea level and have issues at above 10,000.  This is incredibly high.  Just above this level the trees can't even grow because there is not enough oxygen.  So,  for me it is hard to see 100 feet making a difference but if you live low that may be alot.  To me it is like going up to the second level of my home.  I hope you are feeling well.

Robyn

Nancy Drew

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 03:06:34 pm »
Hi Robyn,

Gosh, what a bummer about the game on Sunday.  Maybe we can blame it on the lack of high altitude.  My husband and I went up to the mountains this weekend to see the aspen trees turning.  OMG.  I have never seen them that beautiful.  I took a couple of Advil before leaving the flat lands, and I will say that I am quite please to say that I didn't have hardly any trouble with my AN ear--just a little ear ache type of pain.  Maybe the Advil helped with the swelling that could have been going on in the past.

Big bummer today.  I went for my pre-op visit today for the GK procedure that I was told would be next Tuesday, Oct. 7th.  Turns out there was a scheduling error between my doctor's office and the gamma knife center, and now my GK will be on Oct. 21st.  I have been driving my family and friends nuts with all of the waiting.  I guess they are just going to have to put up with me a little longer.  Oh well, you have to take what life gives you--just like what Kansas City gave the Broncos last week.  Here's to Sunday's game against Tampa Bay.  Bring your oxygen Tampa Bay.  You're gonna needed it in the mile high city.  GO BRONCOS!!!

Nancy ;D ;D ;D
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

robynabc

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2008, 08:49:31 pm »
Hi Nancy,

Glad to hear it was better this time in the mountains.   I am also sorry to hear about the scheduling difference.  The waiting is the hardest part.  It was agony for us.  How long is the procedure?  Do you know?

Robyn

Nancy Drew

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2008, 10:30:22 am »
Robyn,

The doctor said the procedure will probably be 4-5 hours beginning to end.  That is not so bad.  I have accepted the waiting.  Maybe a trip to the mountains today or next weekend will help get my mind off of the waiting.  If I go, I am going to be sure to take the Advil again to see if my theory is right about swelling and altitude issues.  I had a terrible earache yesterday.  It was probably just a psychological thing, but the migraine headache that went along with it was for real--just stess, I'm sure.  The weather is nice today so I better go take advantage of it before the cool air comes in although I love the cool weather.  GO BRONCOS!!! 

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs