Author Topic: i'm home :)  (Read 10885 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: i'm home :)
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2008, 06:55:32 am »
Kimberly -

I can't believe it's already time to have your stitches removed!  Time sure flies when you're having fun!  I didn't have any pain when the doc took mine out, but then again my head was still pretty numb; yours probably is too  :)

It sounds like the camping trip was good - despite being a bug magnet  :D  My son has been bothering me to go camping, so I am taking him and my daughter to the Indiana Dunes this weekend to camp in a tent.  Not really my style, but I figure it's for a good cause.  We'll be celebrating my 1 year retrosigmoid anniversary on Saturday.

It's so nice to reach milestones during your recovery; gives you a good feeling  :)

Congratulations on your progress,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2008, 06:59:02 am »
Good luck today, Kimberly!

That is so great that you got to go camping!  I can't help you with the headaches -- I had them BEFORE surgery and never after.  I realize now how incredibly blessed I am NOT to have them!  I'm sure someone else can shed more light on this!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2008, 08:33:52 am »
Hi Kimberly-

Good luck today!  At the most, you'll probalby feel a little tugging but now much else when they take the sutures out.  I really didn't feel a thing - and I am probalby a bigger woos than anyone!  They just took my second batch of stitches out on Friday in the hospital, and, again, I really didn't feel much more than a little tugging. 

And, yes, I do get odd random pains in my head and neck.  There is still s spot on the top of my head that is also very tender (whre they probably had one of the nerve probes attached.)  Of course, my ear and the upper part of my incision are still pretty numb to the touch.

Funny about the mosquitos!  One of my cats is still very interested in my incision - I suspect she'd try to  clean it if I let her - ugh!

Don't worry about today - you'll do great!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2008, 10:25:44 am »
Hi Kimberly!

Best of luck to you today!

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2008, 12:05:46 pm »
Hi, Kimberly:

As you probably will know by the time you read this, having your stitches removed is not all that traumatic and is over fairly quickly.  The random shooting pain(s) around your incision is fairly typical.  Mine lasted a few months.  As you heal, they should subside. 

I admire your fortitude in going camping.  So soon after surgery, too.  I never saw any good reason to abandon an air-conditioned hotel room and a comfortable bed to sleep outdoors, with all the attendant inconveniences, including mosquitoes, but I maintain that those who like camping should do it and I respect their choice of recreational activity.   I'll just wait in the hotel, thanks.  ;) 

Seriously, you seem to be having a splendid recovery Kimberly. Very encouraging for 'newbies' facing surgery and worrying about it.  I wish you continued success.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2008, 12:37:53 pm »
Kimberly,

That is so great that you were able to go camping (and enjoy it) so soon!  Good for you!!  I'm sure the fresh air in the great outdoors felt good.

I used to camp, but now, you'd find me in a suite in the same hotel as Jim.  My idea of roughing it has reallly changed.  These days, if my husband is a little late making my latte in the morning, it could ruin my whole day!   :-\  I think it might be hard to make those over a campfire...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2008, 10:08:35 am »
How did it go yesterday, Kinberly?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2008, 04:37:14 pm »
Kimberly -

I've been wondering also.  Did everything go well?  Any pain?

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2008, 05:50:12 pm »
Hi Kimberly,

Sounds like you had a fun weekend except for the bugs.  Hope getting those stiches out was easy for you, I know they usually are not a problem.  Now that they are out, your head will probably feel better too.  I've never had stiches in my head, but have had a few abdominal surgeries and I know getting the stiches or stapes out always made be feel better.  Glad to see you back.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

kimberly

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2008, 05:42:01 am »
Hey everyone :)

Happy Thursday!   Having the stitches removed did not hurt at all. WHEW!  Now I can put stuff on the area.  The doc recommended vitamin e or cocoa butter.    Any ideas on what has worked best for some of you?
No dentist appointment, swimming or exercise (except walking) for another month or so  and then a hearing test and hopefully after that clear for lift off. 

I really appreciate everyone's concern and caring during this process.  Thank you all so much!

Kimberly

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2008, 07:03:39 am »
Kimberly -

glad the stitches removal didn't hurt  :)

Vitamin E or cocoa butter - interesting; never thought of using either, but they make perfect sense.

My doc recommended bacitracin after my AN surgery and neosporin after my BAHA implant.

Don't forget that if you put something gunky on your head and it makes your hair gross, you can use Dawn detergent to shampoo.  It cuts through the gunk very nicely - many thanks to Lori for that tip  ;)

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2008, 07:49:02 am »
My mom has always been on the edge with the "natural" stuff (she was making yogurt before you could buy it) but not too Granola!!  Anyway, we had used Vitamin E oil FOREVER...anyway, I have used it on ALL my scars and it works wonderful!  However, this time I got some ScarGel for the T3 -- I haven't been able to use it TONS since I have this beautiful bandage, but I did use it on my scars in my hairline and it was INCREDIBLE!  I don't really know about Cocoa Butter, but I know the oil works well.  You can either pop open capsules or get the actual oil from the health food store!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!