Author Topic: i'm home :)  (Read 10886 times)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: i'm home :)
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 01:12:02 pm »
Kimberly,

That was one major problem with my AN.  My vision!!  ...
Myrna

Myrna,

Can you elaborate on those vision problems?

Thanks
Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

wendysig

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »
Hi Kimberly -

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great.  I know it's hard to be patient when you're recovering from surgery (I haven't had the surgery for my AN yet, but unfortunately, I've had lots of experience with other operations) but you have to listen to what your body is telling you and not push too much.  Otherwise your body pushes right back and you end up on your rear end. Take it easy for a couple of days and  I'm sure you'll start seeing improvement again!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 06:09:43 pm »
Hi Kimberly-

Well, don't be too hard on yourself!  The last few weeks of my recovery have been filled with ups and downs - just don't get discouraged when your body calls a brief time out.  I am learning to trust my body to know when it is time to slow down (a hard lesson, but worth learning.)  ARe you still on steroids?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 08:53:54 pm »
Kimberly -

having good days and bad days post op is fairly normal.  In time you'll find you are having many more good days than bad.

Keep the faith,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kimberly

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2008, 06:26:39 am »
Hi everyone :)

I'm feeling a little better today.  Debbi - I was never on steroids, so I'm lucky that way, never had to wean off of them.  I think I just tried to jump back into things quicker than I needed to.  You are right about the body letting you know when you've gone too far!  My plan is to start over today but SLOWLY.  It is weird though, I start to feel pretty normal and like I can do all the things I could before but then when I leave the apartment for a few hours I'm coming home exhausted and feeling crappy.  I'm optimistic though , especially after reading what many here have to say about their recovery. 

BTW  Jim - what were the EXACT words you used when you asked you doctor if you could start driving after 2 weeks? :)

thank you all!

Kimberly

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 07:05:45 am »
Hi, Kimberly:

I'm pleased to note that you're feeling a bit better today.  Slow but steady is usually the best path to recovery.  I was fortunate that I never had any real setbacks because I did 'push it' a bit, but not so hard that I felt I had done my recovery any harm.  My doctor was always pleased at my progress when I saw him. 

BTW  Jim - what were the EXACT words you used when you asked you doctor if you could start driving after 2 weeks? :)

I was antsy to drive so during my 2-week visit with my neurosurgeon, when he grinned and told me how good I was doing  I seized the opportunity and just asked him flat-out if it was O.K. for me to drive.  My wife added that I was pestering her about feeling 'confined' and so on.  He smiled and said something along the lines of "Well, O.K. but start out on back roads and don't overdo it".  I did drive the back streets - for about 10 minutes (no problem) - then I was on the interstate and never looked back, so to speak.  On my next visit, the doctor asked me how I was doing with the driving and I said: "Fine - I drove here". (a 60 mile round trip) He never questioned me about it again.  Every AN patient is different and some have trouble driving again - but some don't.  I hope you'll be in the latter category, Kimberly.  :)  Meanwhile, I wish you continued success in your recovery.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2008, 07:20:13 am »
I did not drive for a couple months not because of balance issues .. because any light at all would blind me ... so when I did start driving .. it was on cloudy days! slowly but surely it does some back ... (the eye weight helped too)

when I did start .. it seemed my "hands" forgot how to drive! ... any little eye wondering at signs or senery and the car would drift off -- and quickly! .. I had to look at the road at all times!! .. at almost 3 years now .. its getting a little better.. but not 100% yet ...
(handwritting was very bad too .. I lost all eye-hand cooridnation) .. but most of it has returned!

welcome home! the worst is over... its just very slow... :)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2008, 02:03:46 pm »
Hey Kimberly-

Me again on the driving issue.  I got my stitches out 10 days post, and since I really wasn't having any significant balance/dizziness problems, I just asked the surgeon straight up if I could drive.  He said sure - as long as I exercised due caution and started with short trips.  The only thing really holding me back from driving much is the dry eye and my feeling that I need to put drops in it every 10 minutes or so. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2008, 02:13:53 pm »
Kimberly -

first and foremost, please check with your doctor before you start to drive again, just to make sure he's okay with it.  Chances are he'll tell you it's okay as long as you think you're ready.

As others have said, starting small is the key.  Once are are confident you have mastered short trips, add longer distances, higher speeds (within the limit, of course  ;) ), highways, etc., and you should be fine.

You'll known your limitations - if you have any - when you try it.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2008, 04:41:19 pm »
Kimberly~
Glad you are feeling better - I doubt you would have gotten sick if you wouldn't have partied so hard with your friends!!  Just kidding... ;D  I try to tell everyone that you will have good days and bad (sometimes for NO explanable reason) and that is OK!!

Keep up the progress!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

robynabc

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2008, 09:33:11 pm »
Fantastic.  It is so good to hear that many are now on the road to recovery.  You sound great!!!

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

wendysig

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2008, 09:19:42 pm »
Hi Kimbefly,

Jsut checking in to see how you are doing.  I hope all is well and your recovery  is progressing nicely.  Are you driving yet?

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2008, 10:41:18 pm »
Good going Kim!

It is so good to hear the update! Hope you keep feeling better and better and better!

Take care,

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

claire1

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2008, 03:30:06 pm »
Kimberly

Happy your home and on the road to recovery.  Balance issues will take time as you know but with exercise and fortitude, your on the road to a healthier lifestyle. You must be thrilled.*)
Take Care
Claire

kimberly

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2008, 06:29:20 am »
Hi Everyone!

Today I get my stitches out!  I hope it doesn't hurt.  I am a wuss.

I went camping over the weekend (to a campground 20 minutes from home) and it was so nice to get away from home!  My doctor said to do a lot of walking and boy did I, my ankles hurt from walking so much!  I did a lot of relaxing and sitting around too.  BTW just a tip for other campers out there - the mosquitoes and gnats were really into my head - my friends joked that  it would be a good idea to save on citrona candles by sitting me up on the picnic table.

Overall the weekend went well.  I still get a few weird headaches and some sharp random shooting pains around the incision area but that would happen at home, the mall, the pharmacy or at a campground.  Does anyone else get those and if so, how long did this last for you?

I hope you all had a fun filled but relaxing Memorial Day weekend!

Kimberly