Author Topic: i'm home :)  (Read 10887 times)

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
Re: i'm home :)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 02:08:31 pm »
welcome back home . My balance wasnt that good b4 the surgery but it is a little better afterwards. My biggest problem is at nite when my eyes cant overcorrect for no inner ear help on the rt side.

take it real easy for awhile.
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

elderbirds

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 07:39:31 pm »
Hi Kimberly,
Wishing you a speedy recovery.  I am doing the same type of exercises (5 1/2 weeks post op) and they do tend to get quiet boring.   My vestibular therapist says you can use any object (pictures) I  use the TV  as they advance the exercises they have you do them standing and with different backgrounds (they've moved me up to putting the cards against a checkerboard pattern) they really do help, and I can definately notice the days when I cheat and don't do them.  Best of luck to you.
Hope

calimama

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 07:45:51 pm »
HI Kimberly,

Glad to hear you are doing well. It gives those of us waiting for surgery more hope!

Thanks for the nice Mother's day wish!

I was supposed to have surgery today but got rescheduled. UG. 3 more weeks. Perhaps i should practise napping?  :D

I assume you had retrosig surgery as your hearing was saved. Any other complications or issues so far? What size was your AN and did you have symptoms prior to surgery?

Thanks for letting us all know how things went (WELL!).

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

lori67

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 10:17:58 pm »
Sorry to chime in on Kimberly's post, but Trish, love the photo!  Cali is a cutie!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 10:18:08 pm »
Welcome home. Wellness Wishes to you!

Know here on the forum you have lots a support and you can even talk to us in your PJ’s or even if you are having a bad hair day.

Take care

Daisy Head Mazy

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Tamara

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 06:51:18 am »
Didn't see your post until now - so glad to hear you're doing well and still have your hearing!  Great news!

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

calimama

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 07:20:36 am »
Thanks Lori...This was on her first bday so she has cake on her face but you gotta love those big chubby cheeks!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

kimberly

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 11:39:27 am »
Thank you all so much for the nice words and welcoming me home :)

Trish - to answer your questions - My AN was 1.5 CM and I did have retrosig surgery.  After surgery, no facial paralysis or hearing loss.  I feel very fortunate, the only small issues I have now are vision if I turn my head or look up and down and slight balance problems (especially if it's dark or I close my eyes)  and of course the napping all the time thing (which I agree, you might want to start praticing !) Prior to surgery I had tinnitus and crazy vertigo.  The best way I can explain it is that sometimes I felt like when you are a kid and you spin yourself around 10 times and then stop and giggle at how stumbly you are and also similiar to when you go to a car wash and you know you arent moving but it feels like you are.

I hope all goes well for you!

Kimberly

cmp

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 08:07:26 pm »
Welcome home, Kimberly! So glad to hear your recovery is speeding along, and how wonderful that your hearing is OK!
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

MyrnaB

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 08:45:57 pm »
Kimberly,

That was one major problem with my AN.  My vision!!  But, my balance did return and my vision returned within the first 3-4 months and was fine after than.  A little scary but I am sooo tickled that your hearing was preserved.  I lost my right side of hearing, but it sure comes in handy with a husband that snores.  ;D
Myrna

wendysig

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 09:24:56 pm »
Kimberly -

Great to  hear you are doing so well.  Great news about your hearing too.  It gives the rest of us who have not yet been treated hope!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 10:08:55 am »
Hi Kimberly -

In checking to see how you are doing, I noticed you haven't made any new posts.  Hope you are okay and will let us know how you are doing when you are up to it.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

satman

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 11:46:20 am »
Sporting a big crooked smile for ya,Congrats !
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

kimberly

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 11:58:48 am »
Hi Wendy :)

Thanks for the concern.  I have been doing great up until yesterday.  Today is my one week mark and I really thought I was recovering quickly and yesterday decided to venture out with a few friends.  We went for a 45 minute walk and then to a cafe for an early dinner.  I was up all night every hour and a half being sick.  I'm not sure if this is totally unrelated to the surgery or if I just pushed it too hard.  Today I've been sleeping, drinking 7'up and lounging around feeling like I'm back 2 steps in this recovery process. 

I too am not the most patient person and really am having a hard time being dependent on other people for rides, food, etc.  I am looking foward to when I can drive and go to the store and pick up groceries or stop and get a movie on my own.  I keep telling myself "suck it up buttercup"  and that I'm one of the more fortunate ones because my AN was not that big and I didn't lose my hearing, but today I'm having a feel sorry for myself day.  Tomorrow will be better. :) 

I hope you all are doing well.

Kimberly

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 12:20:47 pm »
Hi, Kimberly:

Sorry you've had a little set-back but I suspect that - as you guessed - you probably pushed yourself just a little too hard and are experiencing the ramifications of the over-exertion today.  You'll bounce back with some rest.  Coincidentally, As the second anniversary of my AN surgery draws near, my wife and I have been recalling - with amusement - my impatience to resume all of my normal activities just as fast as I could, once I was home from the hospital.  I was driving within two weeks of my release, with my surgeon's permission, of course.  I probably overdid it at times and felt it the next day, but I probably made light of my fatigue and rested, then went right back and did the same thing.  I recall walking a lot and being pleased to eat out and so on, just like a 'regular person'. 

Obviously, you're doing great Kimberly, and I think you'll continue to do well, even if you have a few little bumps in the road to a complete recovery.  Keep it up!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.