Author Topic: i'm home :)  (Read 10885 times)

kimberly

i'm home :)
« on: May 11, 2008, 08:43:51 pm »
Hello All :)

I appreciate the concern and well wishes from all of you.  My roomate/friends were planning to post an update on the site but never made it that far.  The surgery was a success and I was released from the hospital this morning at 10 a.m.  I'm doing well and feel extremely fortunate that I had Dr. LaRouere and Dr. Pieper and staff (there were so many coming in and out from the team that I can't remember the names but plan to find out when I get my stitches out and thank them each personally if I'm able to).  Because of them, my hearing was preserved. 

My balance and vision aren't the best and I haven't eaten much of anything yet, but overall, I am feeling better than I thought I would.  It is amazing to me that someone can have brain surgery and be home in 3 or 4 days! In the hospital and siince I've been  home,  it seems that I am on a 2/2 plan - 2 hours of sleeping and then 2 hours of being awake. 

Again, thank you all for the advice, support, and kind words and thanks to whoever created this discussion forum!  Pooter , I hope your surgery went well and best wishes to all who are having upcoming surgeries. 

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there.  :)

Sincerely,

Kimberly

kimberly

Re: i'm home :) - ps to jan
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 08:46:56 pm »
ps  - Jan i can't figure out how to reply to personal messages, sorry - maybe i can learn another night :)

LADavid

Re: i'm home :)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 08:57:53 pm »
Great to hear from you, Kimberly and it's great that you're home so soon.  Welcome to the postie world.  How are you?  Your balance will get better - it may take awhile but it does.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 08:58:58 pm »
Kimberly -

don't worry about replying to my PM.  I just saw that you were logged on and I was hoping to hear how you are doing.  We tend to worry about our "posties".

I'm so glad to hear you are home already.  As you may know, Pooter (Brian) is still in the hospital but should be home shortly.  His wife, Jenni, was been posting updates for us.

Your balance and vision should get better with time.  I don't know what you've experienced so far, but when I was recovering I found that I felt better each and every day.  I'm so glad your hearing was preserved!  That's excellent news!  Guess you won't have to get a BAHA like me afterall.

Keep us updated when you can. 

Get lots of rest,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 12:47:34 am »
Oh good, we were wondering about Kimberly. It sounds like all is well.

The 2/2 plan sounds delightful, I wish I could propose adopting that at work. :)

Have a nice slow week, it is May, enjoy a little spring time and take it easy. You'll be feeling improvements every day. Great news on the hearing, too.

Thanks for posting,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

kimberly

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 05:14:11 am »
Thank you all :)

I do have a question as I am now going into my first week at home.  At the hospital , in fact in ICU they started me on these exercises (vestibular/otology protocal) where I look at two index cards - one with an A and one with a B for 2 minutes with different routines (ie hold card at reading distance, focus on target, move head from side to side etc)  - my question is, are there other visual exercises that are more entertaining that one can do that have the same results?  I would be interested in knowing what kind of visual fixation exercises or any kind of exercises have helped others to speed up the process of the vision/balance issue.

Thank you in advance. 

Kimberly :)

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 05:36:57 am »
Kimberly-
Glad to hear you are home and doing okay. We don't know earch other since I just started posting here a few days before your surgery.  As I said in an earlier post, I really loved the poem your friend wrote you.  Sorrry, I meant to check on you before now, but was offline for a few days. 

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Melissa778

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 06:52:50 am »
Kimberly,

So glad to hear you are doing so well.  I only hope for the same this week!  YIKES.  I am sooooo scared.  But it's great to see all the positive outcomes on here.  sets my mind at ease a bit.  I'll PM you later as I have questiosn about Providence hospital.  Stay positive and get lots of rest.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 07:13:54 am »
Kimberly -

it's hard to say without actually seeing them, but the exercises you are talking about sound a lot like the ones my neurotologist had me doing both before and after surgery.  They are pretty boring, but they really helped me with both vision and balance.  They aren't easy to do, but usually the more you do them the better you will become.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 07:18:59 am »
Welcome home, Kinberly - and to the land of Posties!  I was so excited to see a post from you today!  You are already having a remarkable recovery - home and on the computer 4 days later - Bravo!  I'll echo what everyone else says about taking it easy - I guess the best things is to just listen to your body and rest when it tells you to.  Naps are our friends!

So glad that you are doing so well, Kimberly!

Debbi - 12 days post op and still napping...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 12:03:11 pm »
Good to hear from you, Kimberly - glad you're home and the recovery has started!

Take it easy - take those naps others have recommended and keep us updated as you feel up to it.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Sammict

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 01:15:28 pm »
Kimberly

It so great to hear that you are home and doing well my thoughts are with you.

Sam

lori67

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 01:23:37 pm »
Kimberly --

So glad you're home and really glad they could save your hearing!   ;D

Those exercises they gave you do sound like they could be a bit boring... maybe instead of letters on the cards, you could hold up pictures of Johnny Depp and McDreamy.. (or other cuties of your choosing)!   :D  Seriously though, there are a lot of vestibular exercises out there.  If you call the PT department at the hospital and ask for some, they should be able to give you a home exercise packet of exercises you can do.  I hope they gave you more than that one to do though.  Or call the surgeons and they can work on getting you into an outpatient PT place where they can give you some exercises.

Hope things keep getting better!  Welcome home!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cindyj

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 01:31:23 pm »
Johnny Depp!!  That would be my choice - good idea, Lori.

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 01:42:15 pm »
Hi, Kimberly:

Just stopping by to add my Welcome Home!  :D

I'm so pleased to learn that you're out of the hospital and posting so quickly.  A very good sign! 

The exercises sound useful, if a bit tedious, but exercise of any kind usually is.  I had some double vision for a few days post-op while still in the hospital but I just waited it out and kept reading when I could.  It resolved within days.  I hope you have a similar experience.

You're an inspiration to many, Kimberly.  Now, enjoy your well-deserved R&R.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.