Author Topic: Sore Tongue  (Read 10447 times)

susier

Sore Tongue
« on: September 30, 2007, 03:37:42 pm »
Around 10 days or so ago, my tongue really started giving me problems in that it is very sore, mostly on my AN side.  My tongue isn't swollen, but it feels as if its too big for my mouth.  In a rested position, it lays between my teeth and rubs against them when I talk.  i was diagnosed with TMJ a couple of weeks ago, and it was a few days after that when the soreness started.  I contriubted it to the TMJ and went to see my dentist last week.  He did not think the problem with my tongue was related to the TMJ and suggested I see my GP.  I have also begain taking the drug Chantix to quit smoking and the dentist thought I might be having an allergic  reaction.  My GP suggested I stop taking the Chantix for a week and see if the problem clears up.  It has been 4 days off the chantix and the soreness on my tongue is the same. 
Has anyone else had these problems with their tongue?  Could it have something to do with my AN?  My tumor is (or was) so small on my last MRI (2-3mm) that I find it hard to believe it could be causing so much havoc on my body!  Any response would be appreciated.  Thanks.

aardvark

Re: Sore Tongue
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 05:51:31 pm »
Hi Susie -

Though my tongue isn't sore (knock on wood) I have a similar problem with feeling as though it's too big for my mouth.  Sort of like it's not the inside of my own mouth.  Sometimes when I'm about to fall asleep, I have to "rearrange" my tongue so it isn't sitting between my molars.  This has been going on for several months now - I did have an episode of mild tongue swelling at the onset, which my dentist ascribed to a possible food allergy reaction, asssuring me that everything looks normal.  TMJ exam was negative.

In addition to the fat tongue thing, I've been experiencing what I guess is "metal mouth" for the first time.  Not so bad in the mornings, more noticeable as I get tired in the afternoon.  Tastes like I've just rinsed my mouth with rubbing alcohol. 

I have to assume that both of these fun things are related to my facial nerve, but the symptoms are bilateral.  Anyone else have this combo?  I'm two years post-CK, and it's a little unnerving (so to speak) to be experiencing new side effects at this stage of the game.

Adrienne

1.5cm X 1.0cm Left Side AN  Dx 8/05
CK at Stanford 9/05   Drs. Chang & Gibbs

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 06:43:50 pm »
Susie, My 2 cm An was stuck to the facial nerve.  The neurosurgeon did extra picking to get the tumor loose.  I had moderate facial weakness which recovered at 6 weeks, all but my tongue.  The AN side was sore for 7 months.  I had metallic taste that finally disappeared around 10 months post op.

Keep hanging in there.

1wareagle

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 07:34:08 pm »
Susie,

My tongue is not sore but feels like on one side (the An side) that it has been burned from drinking something to hot. Mine started a month before my surgery and has not changed since.  It feels like the bumps on my tongue are swollen all the way down my throat. I also have had the metallic taste too. It seems to get worse after I brush my teeth. I have to get a piece of hard candy to help with the awful taste.

Boppie I hope my metallic taste disappears like yours did at 10 mts (I am starting on my 9 mts anniversary next week).

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 09:24:39 pm »
Susie, it could take longer than a few days for the medication you stopped taking to get out of your system. I know when I was having issues with Lisinopril I was told give it two weeks to fully resolve itself. I have the tongue issue since surgery due to the nerve damage. I also have TMJ, honestly couldn't tell you if the issue was there post treatment or not.

susier

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 12:14:59 pm »
Thanks everyone who responded.
It sounds to me that most of you had tongue problems "post" treatment.  I guess that's why I'm kinda freaked out about this as mine was only 2-3mm when diagnosed in July and am in the "wait & watch" stage.  Could this be a sign that it is growing?  I sent an email to my doc at MDA and am waiting for his response.  It just seems lately that every day there is something new to deal with....new day, new pain.  Sorry, I know I'm whining when others have so much more to "whine" about than me, but it just "gets to me" sometimes.

satman

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 01:21:05 pm »
Whine all you want, thats why were here.
and usually it is something new,"every damn day".

kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 06:11:33 pm »
can I get some cheese with that please!

We ALL deserve a little "whine" time.  WINE time is not so bad either :)  I know we are all grateful for our AN......there are far worse diagnosis out there.  Whine away....we all deserve it at times!

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 09:20:03 am »
 :P I too have a sore tounge on my AN side constanly feels like my tounge is scaping on my teeth also recently the roof of my mouth feels cold on that side, I also feel like I'm drooling sometimes but that could just be paranoia.
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.