Author Topic: Bee sting on numb side ...  (Read 10536 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Bee sting on numb side ...
« on: June 19, 2007, 10:01:59 am »
So this is a weird one, but I was cutting the grass on Saturday and I saw something out of the corner of my eye, I swung my head around and nothing was there, but I could still see something out of the corner of my eye. It clicked that it might be something on my face. My face is numb on the left side since my first AN surgery in 2004. I whacked away whatever was on my face and something flew away. I didn't really see what it was, but I just went on cutting the grass and when I got in I noticed a bug bite near my left cheek bone. I didn't pay much attention, because, after all, I couldn't really feel anything, so I woke up Sunday morning and it had really swollen up. I put ice and neosporine on it all day and wok eup Monday and it was even worse. I actually stayed home from work. I said if it wasn't better today I'd call the Dr, but I think it's improved a little.

I'm just wondering if the fact that my face no feeling plays any part in the recovery process taking longer than it should. I mean, I've had bee stings before and they are bad for a day and then gone, but this one just won't go away and it happens to be on the numb side of my face. Just wondering if anyone has any input or bee sting remedies  :)

Thanks!

Palace

• Palace
Re: Bee sting on numb side ...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 10:36:24 am »
Dear Msuscottie,

I'm so sorry you experienced this!  It is a rather different subject for people to "bite" into.  (pardon the pun)

You should put meat tenderizer on a sting or insect bite to draw out the poisons right away, when it happens.  (at least this is what I have been told)

Regarding allergies........one of my dogs is allergic to bee stings and of course, I have to give her the right amount of Benedryl.  (per pound of dog/animal)

I hope there isn't a small amount of a stinger in it.  (depending upon what got you)

Good luck to you,

Palace

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:49:33 am by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:05:54 pm »
Holy Moly scottie!
I think it has to do with where you are stung. When I lived in the Tropics, getting zapped by a Jack Spaniel was pretty common.  One time I got stung on the neck and an hour later my eyes swelled shut and my lips puffed up like a balloon. Ended up in the ER which on St Croix was the last place you wanted to go. After a few hours wait, they shot me up with benedryl or something and by the next day it was alot better.

I've been stung since then by more Jack Spaniels and my hand got naild by a nest of hornets who had taken up residence on my trailered sailboat. No swelling except for a little bit where they stung.  Go figure!

Hope you un-puff soon!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 12:07:43 pm »
Hi Scott,

SOMETIMES one can react more strongly each time they are stung by an insect (as one ER doc told me) and you should be careful the next time you encounter such.  Maybe have on hand liquid benadryl for ease of taking if your throat should close up, but it still will take 20-30 minutes before it begins to work.  Watch for signs such as severe itching, agitation, stomach cramping, feeling of having to void, feeling of object stuck in throat (throat swelling), etc.  as this is a more serious condition and needs immediate attention as can be life threatening.  Now, not that this will happen the next time, but there it is in case you have a more severe reaction.  
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

johnsli

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 01:12:46 pm »
I know this sounds dumb, but, if you have Vicks vapor rub, put it on a bandaid and put it over the sting area.  It will take away the poison and if you could feel it, it would stop hurting, but, the poison is what is important.  Vicks is an old fashion remedy for almost anything.  Splinters, bee stings, itching, just about anything.  My husband's grandmother swore by it.  She put it on itches that I would never think to put it.  Hope it helps.  (Also, toothpaste works)

LOL
Laura

Raydean

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 02:54:52 pm »
Hi Scott

Just thought i add that given your reaction and symptoms  you could be allergic to bee stings. Just because you weren't before, doesn't mean your aren't now.   I developed an allergy around the age of twelve, stepped on a bee,  The foot swelled, hurt.  The next sting was 25 years later with a bigger reaction, the next one a short time later   became a emergency basis.

You might want to check with your doctor because the next sting could have a bigger reaction and may become life threatening.   Having liquid benadrayl on hand is a great idea.  (works faster then pills)  but just to be safe you might want to ask your doctor about a  epi  pen to have on hand in case of an emergency.

Oh yeah, during bee season avoid fruit scented shampoo's conditioners.  Don't wear yellow or flower prints.  I was also told not to wear perfume during spring summer early fall to help reduce the chance of being stung.

Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

thornapple

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 07:55:14 pm »
Keep a bottle of liquid benedryl around the house, just in case. It works quickly and could save your life if the next reaction gets really out of hand.

It saved mine from an anaphalactic reaction to a new drug. It's amazing stuff.

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:19:32 pm »
Hey Scott,
 Yep, benadryl is a must! You can get stung ten times with no reaction and on the 11th you can swell, My son did that.
Raw onion on the spot immediately after the sting helps too, you might smell bad and addision will run from you but it will reduce the swelling.

kss4luck

• 2.1 cm removed translab 5/4/07 Dr Jung/Clark RCH
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 01:34:12 pm »
Wow Sounds awful...I'd heard that bee stings cure all sorts of things from headaches, to titinitus (sp?),  even numbness. so let us know if the area starts waking up or if there are any other good benenfits from the sting.

kippy6

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 10:09:31 pm »
I'm not a doctor, but I'm thinking facial numbness from your surgery would not make a bee sting swell more than normal. BTW, isn't getting stung on your head worse than getting stung on a limb in some cases?

I'm thinking that you are either developing an allergic reaction or it was/is infected. I know someone who gets cellutis (sp?) every time they get stung by a bee. I don't think the kind of swelling you experienced is normal. I think this warrants a trip to the doctor. I'd go to let them see it, just so they can help you develop a game plan for next time. Better safe than sorry.
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Betsy

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 07:18:54 pm »
Hi Scott,

Hopefully by now you've recovered from "the sting".  You've gotten a lot of good advice so far (especially about the liquid Benedryl!).  It could also be that your facial skin is more sensitive, and thus more likely to react than if you'd been bit on the arm or leg.  Still, it's not unusual to develop new allergies as an adult, so it wouldn't hurt to tell your doctor about it.

Betsy

15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009