Author Topic: BAHA Surgery scheduled!!!!  (Read 3118 times)

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
BAHA Surgery scheduled!!!!
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:03:12 pm »
Good news finally  :)
I have my BAHA Surgery scheduled for October 27th.  I can't wait to be able to put that thing on 8 weeks from then.  I got to try one out last month at my check up and it was amazing the difference I could hear.  I'm so excited.  I hope the surgery is as easy as the doc says it is.  He's telling me compared to my surgery it will be like going to the dentist. 
Anyone have this done?  Is it pretty simple?  Do I need to be as nervous as I was for retro?
So excited, now to just battle these stupid headaches and I'll be good.
Thanks to everyone for always listening and sharing...I love you all!
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: BAHA Surgery scheduled!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 01:52:08 am »
Good news finally  :)
I have my BAHA Surgery scheduled for October 27th.  I can't wait to be able to put that thing on 8 weeks from then.  I got to try one out last month at my check up and it was amazing the difference I could hear.  I'm so excited.  I hope the surgery is as easy as the doc says it is.  He's telling me compared to my surgery it will be like going to the dentist. 
Anyone have this done?  Is it pretty simple?  Do I need to be as nervous as I was for retro?
So excited, now to just battle these stupid headaches and I'll be good.
Thanks to everyone for always listening and sharing...I love you all!
Susan

Your doctor is right.  It may be as simple as going to your dentist office.  I know because my first BAHA surgery was done under local and I was wide awake during the whole surgery.  In fact I did have my old hearing aid on while he worked on me.  I didn't hear much due to my hearing aid was covered up.  You will go home in a few hours after surgery.  Jan will be along to explain her side of the story.  It's a piece of cake for some and not for others.  It depends if you can stomach it.  Don't worry, you will do fine.  ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:35:07 am »
It is very simple. I don't know why, but my doc wanted me in a surgical situation, possibly because I had a recent stroke, and they gave me a light dose of what ever they give you. I woke up during the surgery, and someone had an elbow buried deeply in my ribs, and it hurt. So, very quietly, I asked if they could get thier elbow out of my ribs...and someone asked, "who the hell was that?" A nurse looked under the fabric, her head was upside-down, and I winked at her. "Well, he's awake!" I think it shocked all of us. The doc was very calm, said he was just about finished, and with in 5 minutes it was over. The worst part is waiting for the two months to go by. I would rather have this done again than go to the dentist...its that simple.

moe

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:34:29 am »
Interesting story, James!
Yes, like a trip to the dentist. Especially if they give you that wonderful drug "versed" which puts you into lala land. (I love my versed! Many opportunities with all my surgeries:).  :P
Most likely what you had, James.
Local anesthetic will most likely do the trick. Good luck, a piece of cake~
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:31:48 pm »
Has anyone had this done  ???  Ah, yeah; lots of us.

The surgery is very simple - absolutely nothing like retrosigmoid (thank God) - had mine with only local anesthesia; no sedation.  My neurotologist (one of my AN surgery docs) has implanted over 250 BAHAs and the majority of his patients (90-95%) choose local, rather than general, anesthesia.

My doc likened it to going to the dentist and having a cavity filled and he was right.  I heard the drill, felt some tugs on my scalp, felt some water trickling down my skull, but that was it.  Procedure is short and sweet (no pain whatsoever) - I could have literally walked out of the OR when it was done.  Doc and I talked and joked during most of the procedure (joking isn't normally his nature - he's quite serious; he was just accommodating me)  ;D

Recovery in my case - and in most - was fast.  No infection, no issues, got to start wearing my processor 90 days post op (which is the norm); docs want to make sure the "post" calcifies into the skull.

Are you going with a Cochlear product (BP100 or Intenso) or a Oticon product (Ponto or Ponto Pro) ?

I have a BP100 (upgraded from a Divino) and I absolutely LOVE it.

Good luck - and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:03:29 pm »
Thanks everyone for the input.  Very interesting story James!
I'm not sure which BAHA I'm getting.  I will probably find out when I go in for my hearing test next month.
I can't wait to get it either, I'm sure I won't stand waiting the 90 days to wear it.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 09:54:35 am »
I'm not sure which BAHA I'm getting.  I will probably find out when I go in for my hearing test next month.

Susan -

didn't you demo both the BP100 and the Ponto Pro?  If you didn't, you should.  Although they are similar, there are differences.  Ponto Pro has 10 channels; BP100 (aka BP3) has 12 channels, etc.

Also they are no longer "mix and match".  Oticon processors (Ponto and Ponto Pro) will no longer fit the Cochlear BAHA "equipment" - post in skull and abutment.  And Cochlear processors (BP100, BP3, Intenso) will not fit the Oticon "equipment". 

So if you decide to go with an Oticon product, and want to switch or upgrade at some point to a Cochlear product that is no longer a possibility - and vice verse.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways