Author Topic: vestibular nerve fibers???  (Read 5597 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
vestibular nerve fibers???
« on: March 31, 2008, 04:48:36 pm »
HI ALL,
  In the latest ANA newsletter there was a very small article titled Balance. In it was described a possible reason for persistnat balance issues after treatment, I'm assuming mainly surgical AN removal, thus removal of the vestibular nerve.  It said, "In some cases persistant imbalance may be due to the poor or abnormal signal coming from (get this) residual vestibular nerve fibers on the AN side. This abnormal signal may interfere with the brain's interpretation of the signal coming from the othre ear's vestibular nerve"

wow, was this an "ah ha" moment for me.  At just over 3.5 years post op, I still struggle with pretty bad vertigo everyday, and occassional "vertigo attacks"  just last week I had to sit on the floor of Wall-mart while the room spun around me.  I found this tid bit of info very intersting.  It talked about killing off the remaining signal/fibers with injections of an antibiotic.  also suggested surgery........NOT!

Anyone know anything more about this??

Curious

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Yvette

• Yvette
Re: vestibular nerve fibers???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:40:24 pm »
Wow, never heard of such a thing. I'm so sorry to hear you still have vertigo to that serious a degree. Do you plan to talk to your doc?
Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 07:34:48 am »
Hi Patti,

The article was written by my doctor and I did have the surgery via the ear canal.  Was awake for the procedure and have just finished with vestibular rehab.  I was at 80% balance after rehab with AN surgery 3.5 years ago.  I steadily declined over that time where I began using cane while outside walking.  I was at 65% right after labyrinthectomy surgery when I entered rehab six weeks ago and I am now at 75%.  Look forward to getting more balance back with "at-home" exercises.  I'm doing so much better since this surgery and very happy I signed up for it.  Hope that answers your ???'s. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Top Op Man

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 03:15:01 pm »
I reckon this to be true.
Although I had translab nearly 3 years ago I have good and bad days.
My thought is.. that this is balance equivalent of tinnitus and that the brain tries to attain info even from bad side.
Maybe wrong but would explain phenomenon.
Gary
2.5 cm AN left ear Dec 04 age 34
Removed Axon and Macfarlane, Addenbrookes Skull Base Unit
Cambridge, UK
Translab April 05

Betsy

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 04:32:07 pm »
Hello,

It was a small article...wish there was more of it.  In January (5 months after radiation), I lost my balance overnight.  I was a little tired one day, the next day was like I'd had way too much to drink, only without happy/relaxed feeling.  I have migraine associated vertigo too, and this was totally different than anything I'd experienced with that.  Who knew vertigo came in different flavors?

Eventually I made my way to a physical therapist who specializes in balance problems.  He told me pretty much the same thing as the article...except he left out the part about probably losing the hearing in my AN ear.  Since my AN ear still has decent hearing, I don't plan to take any chances.  Lucky for me, the vestibular therapy was very effective.  On good days I'm around 90% now, and the bad days are becoming fewer. 

For now I'm sticking with the therapy. and hoping the AN side nerve will settle down and let the good side "drive".  And Patti?  I hope the floor in your Wal-Mart was cleaner than the floor in mine.  You're not alone!

Betsy

15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 08:03:07 pm »
HI Arushi,
 I read through the thread about your labrinthectomy. I am glad you are doing well.  That procedure suggests the removal of the inner ear, thus removing any and all hearing from that side.  The article listed the procedure you had last, saying" the nerve fibers could be destroyed either surgically, or, by up to 5 injections of an antibiotic, gentamicin. If that didn't work, then the labyrinthectomy can be done."  I'm wondering if they meant some other surgical procedure they didn't elaborate on or they maybe just the labrinthectomy.  The article read almost like there were 3 options.  I don[t know, but surgery on my head,ear or anywhere near it would be a tough decision for me, sitting on "dirty" Wallmart floors and all.

Patti ut
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 07:13:39 am »
I believe there are two ways to perform this ablation and that is surgically or gentimicin injections.  Don't think there's another way.  Now, there are two surgical approaches, translab/mastoid (behind ear) or transcanal (my approach).  I believe in Dr. Antonelli and his skills as a surgeon so went with his approach as he felt there was more of a CSF leakage risk with translab approach.  Didn't want to do the injections as outcome isn't as successful as surgical.  Living 5 hours away just didn't work for that method.  There is risk with both surgical approachs Patti, and I considered this.  The way I had been feeling physically and mentally I felt it was worth it.  I just couldn't live with it anymore, everyday became more difficult to face.  I did not experience incredible pain doing the transcanal.  Was on pain meds for three days.  The translab approach would've been longer recovery time as it should be, it's more involved.  Hope this explanation clears any questions you may have. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

db

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 06:43:28 am »
Patti,

I had Gentamicin injections, it works for me.  If you have any questions feel free to email me.   db

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 11:58:30 pm »
Patti,

I had Gentamicin injections, it works for me.  If you have any questions feel free to email me.   db

DB whre are you?? I emailed you a couple times right after you posted but did not hear back,   now there is no email/profile for you.  where did you go?? I really would like to get some info from you about the injections.  Please email me.

thanks
patti UT