Author Topic: Video On Vestibular Compensation  (Read 4626 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Video On Vestibular Compensation
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:22:11 am »
Hi Everyone,

I 'searched' this site and came up with nothing on the video I would like to share with you. 

http://www.masseyeandear.org/about-us/videos-and-podcasts/rauch/vestibular_compensation/

Now, perhaps this is already in the 'files' somewhere, but I could not locate it.  I think this will educate all of us having balance difficulties to better understand just what our balance system is experiencing.  After viewing this perhaps most if not all of us can relax more knowing issues with relapses, compensation still happen and why.  It's the "why" that I look for. 

Have a nice day!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

wendysig

Re: Video On Vestibular Compensation
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 11:08:58 am »
Thanks, I found thissite very informative.  It really helped me understand even better than I already did why my aerobics class is so much of a challenge.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 02:31:27 pm »
Excellent video, thank you! This should be viewed by ALL new AN patients and surgeons who claim that one can recover in a matter of a few weeks from a huge tumor.

A couple of things in a video resonated with me because they precisely support my experience of twice recovering from AN surgery. One is chronic compensation lasting anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 years. I had terrible balance problems and the pervasive fatigue after both surgeries lasted for two years. Apparently, I was in this stage.

Secondly, is vestibular decompensation during periods of stress or sleep deprivation. It certainly explains why I become a clumsy mess when I don't sleep!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 09:49:04 pm »
Thanks a lot for the link to the video. I learned a few things. Very interesting.

Best,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 08:21:56 am »
Thanks for sharing this video.  His analogy about learning a new language in a new country and then having a stressful situation requiring immediate use of this language makes tremendous sense to what most of us experience with balance issues.

I am over 2 1/2 years post-op, but I have had some other health issues this summer and the disequilibrium symptoms returned with alarming strength.

He was right-on when he said the ones who are highly motivated and practice regularly improve the fastest.

Do not be discouraged if symptoms return briefly during stress or periods of fatigue.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jeanbean

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 04:11:37 pm »
Thank you.  The video was very good at helping me understanding my balance issues.  They are worse right now due to a virus in my sinuses.   Jean
AN diagnosed 2-24-10
3mmX7mmX3mm right side
GK  7-8-10 at Providence Hosp. Portland, Or
Dr. McMenomey and Dr. Bader