Author Topic: Vestibular ReTraining  (Read 5766 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Vestibular ReTraining
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:13:04 pm »
I've been signed up for 40 one hours sessions (twenty weeks) at the local OrthoSport Physical Therapy Center to undergo extenuative vestibular retaining with an Emory University trained physical therapist.  First session is this Friday...all thankfully covered by insurance.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: Vestibular ReTraining
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:55:58 pm »
I felt it work very good for me but at times you will feel quite sick but you have keep going to get yourself stronger it does work.  They will also give you exercises to do at home at least 3 times a day keep pushing yourself to do it if you can you will see the benefits.

Good Luck,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Doc

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:18:48 am »
I had my first Vestibular Retraining session this morning--a lot of intake stuff and tests.  It didn't take long for the Therapist to realize I wasn't kidding when I said I don't have a Left Vestibular anymore since Brain Surgery...I guess she had to see me stumble first...ha!  It's all good; I have plenty of home exercises to do, four times daily!  She's got me scheduled for eight consecutive early Friday a.m. visits, an hour each.  My favorite exercise so far is standing with my back in a corner, crossing my arms with my feet firmly together...ready, close your eyes and try to stand there for 30 seconds without falling down...that's an adventure!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

Always Blogging @ www.wonkyhead.com
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:16:06 am »
Wait till you do that one on a balance pad that is even more fun........

Pat

cyrmom2

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 10:29:05 am »
Hey Doc.

Please continue to share your favorite vestibular retraining exercises with us! I'm off to try the standing in the corner one now. :)

Have a wonderful weekend,
Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

Doc

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 11:01:38 am »
Wait till you do that one on a balance pad that is even more fun........

Pat

Tried that one this morning too...tough...can't use your feet (toes) for balance on a foam pad!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 11:19:21 am »
Don't worry it takes time you will see the improvements now I am getting to be a pro I picture myself soon balancing on a surfboard okay maybe not I can imagine... keep us posted with your progress.

Best Wishes,

Pat

Doc

There's an App for That - iPhone Metronome
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 08:16:58 am »
There's an App for That.  Blogging @ www.wonkyhead.com

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

painter

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 09:32:34 pm »
Doc,
  I found that by learning enough exercises at PT I could do the same things at home.  It has really helped. I just got retested yesterday and my balance has really improved.
The best (and most difficult) exercise for me is standing on a cushion and closing my eyes.  Two or three times a day has made it easier. 
Tom