Author Topic: BAHA Surgery yesterday!! WOOT WOOT  (Read 7930 times)

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
BAHA Surgery yesterday!! WOOT WOOT
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:47:54 am »
 ;)  So I did it, I'm officially screwed!  Surgery went well once it got started.  Doc was over an hour late so instead of starting at 12:30, he got started at 2:05.  I asked in recovery when I finally came too what time it was, it was already 4:05.  I guess we thought we would be home by then.  Kinda through off our whole schedule with the girls and all that night.  We didn't get home until 9:00.  They acutally wanted me to stay overnight, I wasn't too keen on that idea.  I just wanted to see my girls and get into my own bed.
I was put completely out for this yesterday.  I remember waking up and the nurse asking how the pain level was, I said none, expect my throat was killing me.  I know it was from the tube, but I couldn't believe how bad it hurt compared to my 7 hour surgery and that didn't really bother me at all.  Could be too because then I was on a ton of pain meds?
I just tried to insert a picture of me in my nut cup but it won't let me, sorry, you'll just have to imagine my awesome plastic cup on my head.  I got to pretty smiley faces on it though.  My girls don't care for it and say I look like rambo with band across my forehead.  I'm styling.
My husband is calling to today for my recheck, I believe he said I can't shower until the recheck.  Not cool, I can already feel the crap in my hair.  I'm supposed to go to work tomorrow, this should be entertaining for all of them.  We can wear a costume tomorrow though, what could I goes as?  If I had two, I could be princess Leah.
Well, the pain med is kicking in, I'm getting tired now.
Talk to you soon,
Susan

Hey, I think I got the picture on here.  Let's see if it works and isn't a huge picture!
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

skamper

Re: BAHA Surgery yesterday!! WOOT WOOT
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:48:35 am »
Sorry guys, the picture is huge, my bad! :-\
Diagnosed 12-09

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:56:02 am »
Hi Susan,
You look just like I did...and everyone else too!  I went out to lunch looking like that, so work should be the same.  Lots of funny looks...quizacle looks.  You probably had to stay longer because of the general anesthesia.  Glad it went well.  I hope you enjoy your BAHA as much as I enjoy mine....once you get wired for sound!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:06:17 am »
Congrats, and thanks for the picture! 
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:13:29 am »
Congrats!  You look good in that picture!  You look like I did when I had my first one.   ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

skamper

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:46:20 am »
 :D Thanks everyone, I'm feeling pretty discent at the moment.  I know I should take a nap now, just can't seem to get off of the computer! 
Don't you just love the picture?  It really puts everything into reality.  Now maybe when Bill changes my gauze tonight he will take a picture of where the actually surgery was.  Then I will be able to see it.  I think they said that's packed with sponges though for now.  My appointment isn't until next Wed.  We are waiting to hear back from the doc to see if that's really how long I have to go without washing my hair and all.  I know he suggests to wear the cup at night so I don't smack it.  That's not so bad, I just really don't want to have to go to work or out of the house with this goofy thing on.  I know, I'm sure I looked way worse after the AN surgery, of course I didn't go anywhere for about a month either.
Talk soon,
Susan 8)
Diagnosed 12-09

lori67

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:44:27 am »
I think the Princess Leia costume would be perfect!  Just need a "hat" for the other side!   :D

Glad it went well for you and hopefully you'll get to wash your hair soon!  I know I can't last a day!  I told my doc that if he was going to tell me I had to go a week without washing my hair, he might as well just shave it ALL off!  Fortunately he didn't and I could wash it that night after surgery.  Phew...

Getting closer to GOTCHA day!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

skamper

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 03:48:11 pm »
The doc said I cannot wash it until my next visit with him on Wed. They did suggest a waterless shampoo I can use though.  Anyone ever used this before? 
The doc excused me from work till Monday now.  That was nice.  A nice long weekend and time to rest.  I can certainly use the time to recover.
They kept my BAHA, they told Bill it would be too tempting if i had it had home.  The doc will be the first one to put it on when it's time.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 01:37:53 am »
It's better if the doctor keeps your Baha from you.  You don't wanna be tempted to try it on before your A-day.  3 months may be long way off but, it will be here sooner than you think.   ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

another NY postie

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 04:12:13 am »
Congrats Susan...it looks like there are a number of us who will be having our GOTCHA moments around the same time.  I got my processor but my husband was told to hide it and he did - no clue at all where it is...I don't feel tempted to search but it has only been 11 days! ;D It is very interesting to me how drs have all sorts of different protocals.  I did not get any bandages - just this little plastic disc that snaps on...was able to shower next day but had to goop on bacatricin so my hair has looked greasy on that side so far.  Now I don't have to wear the disc for showering.  Mine is in such a position, that I really can't see it totally so I had my daughter take a picture of it now that the disc is off.  Looks like it is healing well, but also seems a little eery to have this snap on my head.  Again I have not had much pain...sometimes just like someone pulled my head hard as the numbness wears off.  DR. Choe will not have me using a toothbrush that a lot of people use...my 14 year old tells me I have a dent in my head (along with all sorts of teenage comments about how it is really time to dye my hair, roots, etc! ::)  SO I now have 5 screws and two dents and a numbskull...my brothers are having all sorts of fun making up nicknames for me!  Let us know when they take the bandages off!  I had my recheck yesterday but don't get my stiches out until next week.
Cheryl
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:56:21 pm by another NY postie »
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

another NY postie

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 04:14:08 am »
Oh, and Dr. CHoe kept tapping on the post and I could hear it so that was pretty cool!
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

tenai98

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 05:35:36 am »
congrats.
your cap is alot better than mine was...mine was like a turban and I had to work with that on.....it was funny...lol
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

lori67

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 07:38:38 am »
Cheryl,

I got the same comments about my grey hair and miscellaneous dents!  Kids!  I didn't tell my sisters that I have fat in my head though - I know they'd have a field day with that one!  Some things they just don't need to know!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 09:17:45 am »
So happy for you. Your head is going to be pretty numb for months as the nerves begin to re-attach. Be interested to see if that has any impact on your headaches. It will be a great way to start 2011 getting your BAHA plugged in.

skamper

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 09:30:53 pm »
Okay, stitches?  I didn't hear anything about stitches.  I can't really see it so I'm not sure what all is going over there.  Bill took the cup off last night and changed the guaze out.  It was pretty bloody but today was dry.  He combed some of the idodine out of my hair and it helped a little.  I can't believe how much crap is in there.  It's all on the left side too, I'm sure it just ran down the back of my head around to the left.  I can't wait to see how I can get this too look decent for work come Monday.  My follow up is on Wed and then I have my MRI scheduled after that appt.  Right now, I haven't had any headaches, I think that's due to the dumbness once again that is there from this surgery.  I guess I will see in the next couple days how the headaches go.
Thanks for all the encourgaging words, it was a lot easier than the AN surgery and will be so worth it on my GOTCHA day.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09